Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Congrats, Team Deggs

1. Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

Higgs played a summer with the CaneCutters and was atrocious at the plate. He showed a glimmer of hope last year with the Cajuns and just turned it on this year.

Veillon kind of took the opposite track . . .

2. Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    So what the NCAA should have done is follow the MLB model and say 'The NCAA has agreed to only make a player P5 NIL "transfer" eligible after said set of criteria . . .'

Got it.
    But they are controlled by the P5 and therein lies the story of why we are where we are . . .

3. Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    But they are controlled by the P5 and therein lies the story of why we are where we are . . .
    The NCAA is just treading water.

Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Bryan Broussard is the Delgado OF I was referring to. Lead off guy.

As for Lafleur, with consistent ABs, I think he would blossom. He swung it well last year in minimal opportunities. And he struggled this year. But getting a PH at bat once a week (or less) is a total crap shoot. And he JUST missed quite a few pitches that resulted in towering, deep fly outs.

I think if you stick him in the 7 hole and just leave him there, you’d probably get .260 and 10 HRs from him, if not more.

He was originally at Ole Miss for a reason. He’s a lot like Conor Higgs to me. But this is a completely outside view.
    I heard there was another from Delgado, but I didn't know which one. Having both Broussard and Alexander will add some experience in the outfield mix.

As for Lafleur, he came here for a reason. He did play much at Ole Miss and he hasn't done much here either. It's probably doesn't bold well for your future if true freshmen are getting at bats during the season before you. To me, that doesn't bold well for his future in the program.

On Higgs, we are just seeing the potential develop before our eyes that we heard about the kid when he signed. I hope he stays because he has the potential to really help his draft status next year.

You and Jay maybe right on Cash, he is only a true freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Nezuh’s stock has gone up. Scouts paid a lot of attention to him over the weekend. I think he’ll be drafted.

I am one of those guys who likes Cash. He’ll develop nicely. Bulldog attitude. Dad played for Kittrell.
    You may be right on Cash Jay. We've only seen a small sample size at this point. My concern for him going forward is his ball has very little movement on it. He doesn't have great velocity at this point to get his FB by batters like Marshall can on occasion and he doesn't locate like Leger, which we saw very early in his freshman season. But he was just a freshman.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The NCAA is just treading water.
    It has only been a few years since NCAA allowed student athletes to take outside employment during school years, which sounds and feels illegal as can be. NCAA has lost a lot of power, as students have gained power.

7. Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

Maybe a good pitching coach could move Cash . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Maybe a good pitching coach could move Cash . . .
    If Sources are correct, we are losing Wells. We NEED to hire a pitching coach. We do not need another hitting coach...Deggs can be hitting coach.
    By the numbers folks:

BATTING AVERAGE:
    2021-266
    2022-288
    2023-290

ERA:
    2021-3.37
    2022-4.24
    2023-4.85

As you can see, we are trending up in team BA which is always good to see however we are also trending up in team ERA which is NOT good. Deggs's philosophy may be to focus more on hitting than pitching? If memory serves me Robe's teams seemed more focused on pitching rather than hitting.
    We need a true pitching coach IMO.

9. Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

Keep an eye on former STM Cougar Josh Stevenson from LSU, word around town is that he's entering the portal and his preference is the Cajuns. You may remember his brother Andrew Stevenson at LSU, who saw some time at the MLB level with the Nationals and I believe is currently in AAA with the Twins.

10. Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

I figured that would possibly happen. He is a super kid and a pretty good baseball player.

Just to echo the sentiment from the start of this thread, absolute pleasure watching this team this season. Not always perfect but they came together when it mattered and made their push and made us proud. So short staffed at the end and pushed both Texas and Miami to the brink. Imagine having a Hammond, Theut, McGehee all healthy and this is a vastly different team. But that wasn't meant to be and the guys behind them stepped up.

As far as next year, I may have missed it but I didnt see an official story on the signings (usually November before season starts) which I find odd since they've been putting those out as long as I can remember. Tried to piece together what I could but I'm sure someone has a more accurate list:

Clayton Pouciau, C, Catholic BR
    Jose Torres, C, San Jacinto JC
    Thomas Couvillon, LHP, STM
    Chase Morgan, LHP, Cy-Woods HS (TX)
    Riley Marcotte, LHP, Loreauville HS
    Tate Hess, RHP, Singer HS
    Drew Kirby, RHP, Cy-Woods HS (TX)
    Johnathan Rogers, RHP, Tupelo HS (MS)
    JR Tollett, RHP, Ruston HS
    Trae Winn, RHP/INF, Ridgeland HS (MS)
    Maddox Mandino, Minden HS
    Bryan Broussard, Delgado CC (Delgado made D1 JC WS this year)
    Josh Alexander, Delgado CC
    Connor Cuff, SS, Carthage HS (won state title in FB as a QB, prototype Deggs athlete)

There's a few draft concerns I believe, but from what I can tell its a solid class.

12. Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

Nice recap . . . the future of the program looks promising . . .

Congrats Deggs and players on a great season!! Hosting next year. I’m calling it.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    Just to echo the sentiment from the start of this thread, absolute pleasure watching this team this season. Not always perfect but they came together when it mattered and made their push and made us proud. So short staffed at the end and pushed both Texas and Miami to the brink. Imagine having a Hammond, Theut, McGehee all healthy and this is a vastly different team. But that wasn't meant to be and the guys behind them stepped up.

As far as next year, I may have missed it but I didnt see an official story on the signings (usually November before season starts) which I find odd since they've been putting those out as long as I can remember. Tried to piece together what I could but I'm sure someone has a more accurate list:

Clayton Pouciau, C, Catholic BR
    Jose Torres, C, San Jacinto JC
    Thomas Couvillon, LHP, STM
    Chase Morgan, LHP, Cy-Woods HS (TX)
    Riley Marcotte, LHP, Loreauville HS
    Tate Hess, RHP, Singer HS
    Drew Kirby, RHP, Cy-Woods HS (TX)
    Johnathan Rogers, RHP, Tupelo HS (MS)
    JR Tollett, RHP, Ruston HS
    Trae Winn, RHP/INF, Ridgeland HS (MS)
    Maddox Mandino, Minden HS
    Bryan Broussard, Delgado CC (Delgado made D1 JC WS this year)
    Josh Alexander, Delgado CC
    Connor Cuff, SS, Carthage HS (won state title in FB as a QB, prototype Deggs athlete)

There's a few draft concerns I believe, but from what I can tell its a solid class.
    A lot of high school pitching, which I absolutely love if we can keep them around and develop. Do think we need to add some portal/JUCO in order to beef up the immediate term need on the pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by MWolf View Post
    A lot of high school pitching, which I absolutely love if we can keep them around and develop. Do think we need to add some portal/JUCO in order to beef up the immediate term need on the pitching staff.
    There are already 2 JC pitchers you can add to the list. My understanding is they are evaluating the portal at this time.

Phil Bennaman RHP out of Cloud County CC
    Andrew Herrmann LHP out of College of Central Florida

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information