Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Congrats, Team Deggs

Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Assuming Higgs and Taylor come back, along with Debarge, that’s the nucleus.

I like Stelly, even before this weekend. You can just tell he can hit. I also think Luke Yuhasz has a chance to be really good. Same for Zambo, who I thought would have a big year this season and it got derailed by injury. LeJeune will probably be first in line at 3B.

There’s an OF that’s supposed to be coming from Delgado and possibly another local kid who’s currently at a JUCO that I was told was heading back to Lafayette. He’s also an OF, with excellent speed/power combination.

I would guess that the staff will be in the market for a transfer catcher, and probably a HS signee there too.

Pitchers that return are McGehee (hopefully for a full, healthy season), Nezuh, Fluno, Marshall, Christie, Ethridge, Moody, Cash, and Tate. Theut has another year of eligibility but I don’t know what his medical situation is or will be.

I know there’s a LH pitcher signee coming from Loreauville that I’ve seen. He’s a talented kid but you never know how kids will transition to D1 baseball.

Like the catching position, I’m sure there will be some incoming transfer pitchers on the way.

Plus the signing class that’s coming in.

But to answer the question, Stelly, Yuhasz, LeJeune and Zambo would be my guess. Ben Robichaux got a bunch of ABs this year but he may have a tough time getting into the lineup unless he can play a defensive position. And if Taylor is back, that probably won’t happen next season.

Personally, I’d love to see what Trey Lafleur would be as a full time DH. Give him the 170-180 ABs that Veillon got this year and see what happens. I think you’d get 8-12 HRs from him.
    Good comments overall. I assume there will be some players transferring out, so it's really hard to know what the fall roster will look like afterwards.

I believe it possible Higgs could get drafted, but since there are only 20 rounds now it's highly unlikely it will be in the top 12 rounds. He has a half of season on his college resume, that's usually not enough to get you drafted.

The Delgado outfielder is Josh Alexander, he has good speed and power.

We have a HS catcher signed, he is Clayton Pourciau out of Catholic HS, Baton Rouge.

Pitching will be the most interesting position of transition this fall. The staff really needs to do a better job of identifying athletes that can pitch in their system. Nezuh, Fluno, Marshall, Christie, Ethridge and Moody are guys I could see coming back. I'm not as high on Cash or Tate. The staff is going after JC arms and probably a few transfers along with the high school class. I do know of 2 JC arms in Andrew Herrmann a big LHP out of the College of Central Florida and Phil Bennaman RHP out of Cloud County CC.

I'm not sure I would like to see Lafleur return, what else do we need to see from him?

2. Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

….So I questioned this before the game and the tv guys mentioned it…..why did Marshall start the game instead of relief duties? The tv guys talked about different mental approach and other factors and I was wondering about the decision? BTW, had some great fun at the teagusso park….bringing a lap-top seems to really add to the enjoyment….too much business/family away made me miss too many games!

Nezuh’s stock has gone up. Scouts paid a lot of attention to him over the weekend. I think he’ll be drafted.

I am one of those guys who likes Cash. He’ll develop nicely. Bulldog attitude. Dad played for Kittrell.

I know there were some frustrations at times over inconsistencies, ie App St. and JMU series; however, overall, this team was extremely fun to watch. Very enjoyable season, and it looks like this program is definitely on an upward trajectory.

Hopefully it won't be long before we're the Belt team hosting a Regional once again.

Thanks to coach Deggs and a GREAT team! Let's do it again next year!

The team will be arriving at Lafayette air port about 10:30.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...230Z/KMIA/KLFT

Default Re: Congrats, Team

I’m gonna miss watching this group. They were definitely fun to watch. But last year’s team had the same kind of grit that I really enjoy in a team. So I have a feeling that as long as Coach Deggs is here, we will have the same type of guys out there playing their butts off….which is a great thing. Best of luck with the next chapter to Rocco, Brock, Hood, CJ, Max, Veillon, Rawls, Hammond, and Couch. You all represented the team, University, city, state and most importantly, yourselves very well. Kudos to each of you.

Hopefully we don’t lose any more to the portal and are able to bring in some new guys that are ready to continue the Cajun brand of baseball. There are definitely some guys coming back that showed they have bright futures.

I don’t post much outside of baseball season. It’s been fun discussing things with most of y’all this season as well. Certainly not all, but there are some good posters here and it makes the season even more entertaining. See y’all next year.
    Is Debo draft illegible?

Default Re: Congrats, Team

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Is Debo draft illegible?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Good comments overall. I assume there will be some players transferring out, so it's really hard to know what the fall roster will look like afterwards.

I believe it possible Higgs could get drafted, but since there are only 20 rounds now it's highly unlikely it will be in the top 12 rounds. He has a half of season on his college resume, that's usually not enough to get you drafted.

The Delgado outfielder is Josh Alexander, he has good speed and power.

We have a HS catcher signed, he is Clayton Pourciau out of Catholic HS, Baton Rouge.

Pitching will be the most interesting position of transition this fall. The staff really needs to do a better job of identifying athletes that can pitch in their system. Nezuh, Fluno, Marshall, Christie, Ethridge and Moody are guys I could see coming back. I'm not as high on Cash or Tate. The staff is going after JC arms and probably a few transfers along with the high school class. I do know of 2 JC arms in Andrew Herrmann a big LHP out of the College of Central Florida and Phil Bennaman RHP out of Cloud County CC.

I'm not sure I would like to see Lafleur return, what else do we need to see from him?
    Bryan Broussard is the Delgado OF I was referring to. Lead off guy.

As for Lafleur, with consistent ABs, I think he would blossom. He swung it well last year in minimal opportunities. And he struggled this year. But getting a PH at bat once a week (or less) is a total crap shoot. And he JUST missed quite a few pitches that resulted in towering, deep fly outs.

I think if you stick him in the 7 hole and just leave him there, you’d probably get .260 and 10 HRs from him, if not more.

He was originally at Ole Miss for a reason. He’s a lot like Conor Higgs to me. But this is a completely outside view.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Nezuh’s stock has gone up. Scouts paid a lot of attention to him over the weekend. I think he’ll be drafted.

I am one of those guys who likes Cash. He’ll develop nicely. Bulldog attitude. Dad played for Kittrell.
    I’m with you on Cash. I think he’s got weekend starter potential.

11. Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

Except Higgs did parlay his pinch hit opportunity, sometimes only once a week, into a material starting role in the lineup . . . LeFluer not so much . . . Willis was a tiguh for one year before transferring here for a pretty darn good productive player for the Cajuns . . .

12. Default Re: Congrats, Team

No
    So they can keep a player from going pro with the MLB, but they can't keep him from going pro with the football P5 associated baseball teams.

Got it.

13. Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

Once one plays college ball, MLB has agreed to only make a player draft eligible after the earlier of, age 21 or playing three years in college . . .

The opportunity of going pro as a P5 was mandated by the US Supreme Court (NIL) and the NCAA (immediate eligibility upon transfer)

Different set of rules from three different sources . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Except Higgs did parlay his pinch hit opportunity, sometimes only once a week, into a material starting role in the lineup . . . LeFluer not so much . . . Willis was a tiguh for one year before transferring here for a pretty darn good productive player for the Cajuns . . .
    Higgs certainly did that. But I think most people knew that was coming from him, and were wondering why it took so long for him to get in the lineup.

This years DH spot was basically Veillon and Robichaux. I think you’d get MUCH more from Lafleur over the course of a full season.

Who knows if he even comes back though. I was just kinda spitballing to the original question of who may have a break out season next year.

15. Default Re: Congrats, Team Deggs

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Once one plays college ball, MLB has agreed to only make a player draft eligible after the earlier of, age 21 or playing three years in college . . .

The opportunity of going pro as a P5 was mandated by the US Supreme Court (NIL) and the NCAA (immediate eligibility upon transfer)

Different set of rules from three different sources . . .
    So what the NCAA should have done is follow the MLB model and say 'The NCAA has agreed to only make a player P5 NIL "transfer" eligible after said set of criteria . . .'

Got it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information