Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: G1 Regional Final: Louisiana 2, Texas 4

Default Re: G1 Regional Final: Louisiana 2, Texas 4

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    We won 2 games with just 2 runs. There are another 10 where we allowed less than 2 runs, so 12 wins out of 40 where 2 runs would have sufficed.

When you can zoom the 6th and 7th in to being one pitch away multiple times from escaping, I'm less inclined to just sit back and say, "well the state of college baseball."
    You know that's not how the game works though. A four run lead is played and managed completely differently than a one run lead, by both teams. You are smart and know that.

2. Default Re: Cajuns vs Longhorns

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard 1280 View Post
    Well, we do belong here, but Texas was better today. To me, making a regional is lagniappe but Texas was a tough draw. It’s gonna be tough to make it to Sunday but we’ll see what we’re made of tomorrow.
    Well, we just need to beat Maine tomorrow morning to make it to Sunday. I expect us to do that.

Brian

3. Default Re: Cajuns vs Longhorns

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    It was a 2 walks (1 from Marshall and 1 from Ethridge) and a single before the bases loaded double.

But I get what you’re saying.

Ethridge probably had some serious nerves working (which is completely understandable). He came in and went WP, walk, double, walk. And then settled in and retired the next four to end his outing/the game.

Either way, walking 3 guys and allowing 4 runs against that team is an excellent pitching result.

And without a 3-run HR being robbed, you have 5 runs. Another excellent result against the Big 12 Pitcher of the Year.

As MAT (I think it was) said, once you get to this point, the margin is ultra slim. Texas made two great defensive plays. That was the difference in the game.
    I would argue that four runs were stolen by the Longhorn defense. Rocc had at minimum a double when DC robbed him in RF (T6th). Hood followed that with a double and Higgs singled him in. You can argue that the Cajuns would have scored two runs in the T6th without that excellent defensive play in RF.

Brian

Default Re: Cajuns vs Longhorns

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Well, we just need to beat Maine tomorrow morning to make it to Sunday. I expect us to do that.

Brian
    Yea, I'm definitely down with this assessment.

Texas made some simply put, great plays.

We're strong. We can beat any team in America and we rep Acadiana excellent.

And thats what I have to say about that.

Let's go get it Cajuns.

Brian
    Just Maine tomorrow gets us to Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    You know that's not how the game works though. A four run lead is played and managed completely differently than a one run lead, by both teams. You are smart and know that.
    We actually won 3 games this year where we scored just 2. Of the other 9 where we gave up less than 2, you have a very fair point that we don't win all 9 if we only score 2 each time. I will happily agree to disagree with a Cajuns baseball fan legend on how achievable 2-1 was today though.

In all honesty, I think it speaks volumes about our team that in a game where we were robbed of 3-5 runs we were still right there to be talking "should, coulda, wouldas" on things outside of the robbed runs. This ain't the 2017-2021 Cajuns.

7. Default Re: Cajuns vs Longhorns

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    Just Maine tomorrow gets us to Sunday?
    Yes. Unless weather interferes with regional play, a max of two games is played on any given day. 2/2/2 and 1 on Monday (if necessary). The first time any one team could potentially play in two games would be on Sunday.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    We actually won 3 games this year where we scored just 2. Of the other 9 where we gave up less than 2, you have a very fair point that we don't win all 9 if we only score 2 each time. I will happily agree to disagree with a Cajuns baseball fan legend on how achievable 2-1 was today though.

In all honesty, I think it speaks volumes about our team that in a game where we were robbed of 3-5 runs we were still right there to be talking "should, coulda, wouldas" on things outside of the robbed runs. This ain't the 2017-2021 Cajuns.
    Agreed 100%. We could have easily won today. I think it could be easily argued TX needed to play a very nearly flawless game, with two All-World defensive plays, and pitched by two likely future big leaguers, just to win by two lousy runs.

This is a very good team, the legit regional team I said they were after a dozen games or so.

Win or lose this weekend I am very optimistic about Cajun baseball.

9. UL Baseball Re: G1 Regional Final: Louisiana 2, Texas 4

The good news is that the Cajuns have all of their pitching available for Maine tomorrow (sans Nezuh). This is key going into Sunday, which would require two games against Texas/Miami in either order. Nezuh, with 74 pitches today, could start in the Monday winner take-all game (~72 hours away from his start). Just need to hit our way through now.

Brian

10. Default Re: G1 Regional Final: Louisiana 2, Texas 4

The good news is that the Cajuns have all of their pitching available for Maine tomorrow (sans Nezuh). This is key going into Sunday, which would require two games against Texas/Miami in either order. Nezuh, with 74 pitches today, could start in the Monday winner take-all game (~72 hours away from his start). Just need to hit our way through now.

Brian
    That’s a nice positive assessment . . .

11. Default Re: G1 Regional Final: Louisiana 2, Texas 4

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Agreed 100%. We could have easily won today. I think it could be easily argued TX needed to play a very nearly flawless game, with two All-World defensive plays, and pitched by two likely future big leaguers, just to win by two lousy runs.

This is a very good team, the legit regional team I said they were after a dozen games or so.

Win or lose this weekend I am very optimistic about Cajun baseball.
    Two really solid, confident ball clubs went to battle on the diamond today. It was fun to watch. Both teams have a lot to be proud of in their performance. I was proud of the effort.

12. Default Re: Cajuns vs Longhorns

I would argue that four runs were stolen by the Longhorn defense. Rocc had at minimum a double when DC robbed him in RF (T6th). Hood followed that with a double and Higgs singled him in. You can argue that the Cajuns would have scored two runs in the T6th without that excellent defensive play in RF.

Brian
    ….yes let’s not forget the other robbery!

Brian
    No doubt. And if you want to go even deeper, if Deggs sends Rocco on Higgs early single, there was another run to be had.

I’ve applauded the effort today. It was outstanding. And we just got beat.

To nitpick, I didn’t like bunting Hood after Rocco’s single early. And if you’re going to bunt him over to 2nd (I’m not a fan of this, to 3rd, then yeah) with your cleanup hitter, at least send him if you get a hit afterwards.

I also thought it was a quick hook on Nezuh. But who knows if Nezuh said he was running near empty and they were trying to scrape another couple outs. Being worn out after his workload last week, and in hot and humid temps wouldn’t be a surprise at all.

But again, those are nitpicks. It was a hell of a baseball game. Both teams played very well. Someone has to win. Texas made a couple plays to do so.

14. Default Re: G1 Regional Final: Louisiana 2, Texas 4

If we continue to perform as we did today throughout the weekend I see us winning at least one game against a team not Maine . . . then anything can happen . . .

15. Default Re: Cajuns vs Longhorns

Yes. Unless weather interferes with regional play, a max of two games is played on any given day. 2/2/2 and 1 on Monday (if necessary). The first time any one team could potentially play in two games would be on Sunday.

Brian
    wow, finally a rule change that potentially helps us

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information