Thread: Coral Gables Regional ...

1. UL Baseball Coral Gables Regional ...

Some info concerning Texas here ...

Regarding the participating teams in the Coral Gables regional ... we may have the only regional where every team has competed at the College World Series ... and since the 1986 season as well (not like someone played in 1947 and has not been back since). In fact, each team has placed at least third at the CWS.

Many folks do not remember, but Maine was a mainstay at the CWS in the 80's ... competing there for four consecutive years ('81 -> '84) as well as 1986. The Black Bears have made the CWS seven times in their history.

On a fun note ... a few years ago when I was staying at Disney's Beach Club Villas and hanging out at the pool, I ran into a former Maine ball player who recognized my Ragin' Cajun baseball cap and was very complimentary of the Cajun baseball program. We talked baseball for a while ... and discussed his time at the CWS in the early 80's. If I remember correctly he hit in the 5 and 6 spots. He was coached by the legendary John Winkin.

Brian

Default Re: Coral Gables Regional ...

A unique story about John Winkin: (according to Wikipedia)

Winkin served as one of 158 crew aboard the USS McCall, a destroyer assigned to protect aircraft carrier USS Enterprise. After delivering Marines to Wake Island, the fleet was returning to port at Pearl Harbor on the evening of December 6, 1941. However, the McCall was unable to make it in because of hazardous weather. If not for that storm, the ship would have been berthed next to the USS Arizona when Japanese forces attacked the next morning. Instead, Winkin and his crewmates saw the entire attack unfold from the decks of the McCall in the waters outside the harbor.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Winkin

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Some info concerning Texas here ...

Regarding the participating teams in the Coral Gables regional ... we may have the only regional where every team has competed at the College World Series ... and since the 1986 season as well (not like someone played in 1947 and has not been back since). In fact, each team has placed at least third at the CWS.

Many folks do not remember, but Maine was a mainstay at the CWS in the 80's ... competing there for four consecutive years ('81 -> '84) as well as 1986. The Black Bears have made the CWS seven times in their history.

On a fun note ... a few years ago when I was staying at Disney's Beach Club Villas and hanging out at the pool, I ran into a former Maine ball player who recognized my Ragin' Cajun baseball cap and was very complimentary of the Cajun baseball program. We talked baseball for a while ... and discussed his time at the CWS in the early 80's. If I remember correctly he hit in the 5 and 6 spots. He was coached by the legendary John Winkin.

Brian
    3 regionals have fields that have all reached Omaha.

Coral Gables
    Palo Alto
    Fayetteville

I haven’t looked into every regional but Coral Gables has 69 Omaha appearances between the 4 teams. I can’t imagine any other one is even close.

4. Default Re: Coral Gables Regional ...

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    3 regionals have fields that have all reached Omaha.

Coral Gables
    Palo Alto
    Fayetteville

I haven’t looked into every regional but Coral Gables has 69 Omaha appearances between the 4 teams. I can’t imagine any other one is even close.
    Coral Gables collectively has 71 appearances at the CWS and 10 national championships. They also have the two schools with the most CWS trips ... Texas (38) and Miami (25).

Palto Alto collectively has 44 appearances at the CWS and 6 national championships

Fayetteville collectively has 35 appearances at the CWS and 4 national championships

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Coral Gables collectively has 71 appearances at the CWS and 10 national championships. They also have the two schools with the most CWS trips ... Texas (38) and Miami (25).

Palto Alto collectively has 44 appearances at the CWS and 6 national championships

Fayetteville collectively has 35 appearances at the CWS and 4 national championships

Brian
    71? Wow

I saw something on Twitter that said Miami and Texas had 63 between them. I added the 5 you mentioned for Maine (I remember watching those back in the day) and the one for UL.

So I’m guessing Maine had 2 others somewhere. Either way, that’s impressive, and I as figured, many more than any other regional.

6. Default Re: Coral Gables Regional ...

Yes, Maine has seven. I only specifically mentioned/listed the ones in the 80’s … five in six years. They also went in ‘64 and ‘76.

Brian

Thread Information