Thread: 2023 v 2014

Default 2023 v 2014

Turbine asked a question that I had been thinking about: is 2023 our best year, ever? People mentioned 2014, which was a very good year. But let me point out the reasons I think 2023 might be better.

In 2014, Robe had been here since 1995, and of course had taken us two two super regionals, and one CWS. Steph and/or Michael Lotief had been here since 2000, and had already taken us to OK City twice. Hudspeth took us to a Bowl, but it was our 4th consecutive bowl appearance under him. Marlin started in 2010, and getting to the NCAA tournament was an exciting step up, as was men's tennis under Mark Jeffrey, who started started in 2009

Here we are 9 years later, also with a lot of post-season success. And, as in 2014, we are enjoying success from some veteran coaches. Lon Badeaux is in his 12th year, Marlin has been here 13 years, Theo is probably the Dean of UL coaches at what? 15 years?

However, here's the part that I find exciting: In his first year, after losing a tremendous amount of talent, Des got to a bowl (our first EVER in Shrevesville), where we almost beat a P5-bound team. Glasco, after repeated near misses, got us to a super regional in his 6th year, knocking off BeSSE* to get there... with a LOT of freshmen and sophomores. Deggs, in his 5th year, fighting hard with a pitching staff that was crawling with injuries, got us an at-large bid.

In several major sports, our successes are coming in with junior coaches. So our future looks very, very bright.

But beyond those, I think without a doubt 2023 is better than 2014.

Back then, we were fighting for people to call us 'Louisiana.' Put a fork in that one.

Back then, we didn't automatically expect a bowl berth... and we had never won a conference championship outright.

Back then, the 'Belt was the worst conference in the FBS... and LTU and C-USA were comfortably ahead of us. Today (if we can ever get the conference to take men's & women's basketball seriously) we could emerge as the premier G5 conference.

But beyond all of that, back then our research was growing, but not yet impressive. That one is so important. There are, perhaps, a few people here who would be glad if we simply dominated the state in sports, if we could (as so many unfortunate fans do at other colleges) swagger around and rub everyone's noses in our 'greatness.'

As if UL existed to play sports.

Do not overlook that R1 ranking. I'm sure some of the unfortunate souls here envy 'Bama. Without a doubt, they are one of the premier sports programs in the country.

But go back and compare UL to 'Bama: https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/profiles/s...Source&ds=herd

Surprised? We should be.

But then, maybe not. We are hard, tenacious workers, and Ray started us down this path back in 1974.

50 years ago.

So please, support the Cajuns. But remember, athletics are not an end in and of themselves. They help us build our University; and that, in turn, helps us build our community, our state, and at our best, the world.

*Our Beloved Sister School to the East. I thought maybe we could shorten it to WWE, the Wicked Witch of the East.

But that seemed harsh.

2. Default Re: 2023 v 2014

Dr. Fun, your posts have not only been most refreshing but have also provided a wealth of information about our great university. To that, we are most appreciative . . .

Default Re: 2023 v 2014

Here, here. I love this school

“Our Beloved Sister School to the East”.

Did you plagiarize that from McNeese? LOL…

5. Default Re: 2023 v 2014

When UL was established there were 1,700 institutions of higher learning ahead of them.

My, the cream really does rise to the top.

Excellent post.

Louisiana First.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    “Our Beloved Sister School to the East”.

Did you plagiarize that from McNeese? LOL…
    Hmmm, I thought I coined that many years back... what do the folks at McNeese say?

The difference is, it at least appears, is that for some reason our “leadership” appeared to promote our athletic accomplishment more in 2014 than 2023.

God forbid we ask why there was never a huge promotion and banner event for the accomplishment of our 2021 football team.

9. Default Re: 2023 v 2014

Fun’s analogy to the deck of cards shines a lot of light (or darkness) on the where’s, why’s and what’s that happen that no one here is really informed enough to judge. But judge we do, a lot . . . Without facts and information we feel free to judge here . . .

10. Default Re: 2023 v 2014

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Fun’s analogy to the deck of cards shines a lot of light (or darkness) on the where’s, why’s and what’s that happen that no one here is really informed enough to judge. But judge we do, a lot . . . Without facts and information we feel free to judge here . . .
    Please!

It's apples and apples ... just a different variety.

The self promotion acknowledgement in 2014 was much sweeter than 2021-2023.

You don't need to see the tree to judge two apples.

11. Default Re: 2023 v 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Please!

My comment was intended to be more general. Nothing to judge between those two years . . . Things were good then and they are good now. Two sweet apples . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Please!

Apples, absolutely.

Two? I think not. In 2014, there were several applies.

And IMHO, It seems that there are more apples this year... some of which are bigger and juicier.

And while nothing is promised for next year, the nature of this year's crop gives us hope that next year's will be even bigger and better.

Finally, since I so enjoy annoying you folks, some of what's coming down the pipe you don't even know about.

13. Default Re: 2023 v 2014

Dr. Fun, your posts have been so very informative, at times amusing and a refreshing add to the board. Please don’t quit anytime soon . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Hmmm, I thought I coined that many years back... what do the folks at McNeese say?
    I believe they say "yes mam!"

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    I believe they say "yes mam!"
    Funny. Seriously, are they using some variation of 'Beloved Sister School to the East'?

I've been wondering... should it be abbreviated BeSSE ('Bessie'), since we already have BESE? Or would BeSSttE be better, so we're like 'besties'?

We do love each other so...

Crowd input welcome here.

Thread Information