Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Let's Review

Default Let's Review

Over the years, I have watched our fans point at the school du jour, whoever is winning this season, and ask, "Why isn't that us?!!" UNT, Troy, App State, Boise State, whomever.

How many schools today look at us in the same way? We were Top 25 in football 2 of the past 3 years, went to a bowl this season and almost beat a team headed for the P5 next year. We made the NCAA tournaments for several sports, including a super for softball. We have facilities that are among the best in G5. We recently made R1. We have dramatically expanded our campus, and we have multiple new buildings going up.

Outside of the state, everyone now calls us 'Louisiana.' Because two of our biggest assets, something that I promise you that many other mid-majors envy, are simply 'University of Louisiana,' and 'Ragin' Cajuns.'

When I started at U(S)L in 1977, our big rival was McNeese. The only real in-state rivals we have left are State & Tulane. Our conference rival is USM, and I suspect the future will show that the two of us are the elite of the SBC: we are the only two charter members of the FBS, we are two of only four R1 schools in the 'Belt, and we have the longevity, history, and fanbase to keep us going through bad times.

Oh, and don't forget some of the biggest news: 22 years ago LTU went to the MWC, then to C-USA, and we had to listen to their sniveling and swaggering for two decades. Then BAM! the 'Belt jumps on C-USA when they're down, and LTU is suddenly trapped in a dumpster fire... and it's probably going to get worse, because MTSU & WKU are still trying to leave.

Now, think were we were 10 years ago. Think where we were just 5 years ago.

Think of all we have to be grateful for right now.

And yet, over the fear we might not get into one more NCAA tournament, even with a pitching staff that is much more than decimated, and with a team that nevertheless still managed to pull out 40 wins... people here have been whining.

We got in, but I still spent part of my morning writing my first blog post in years. You might read it.

Remember to smell the roses:

Winning & the Entitlement Mentality

Default Re: Let's Review

PS The preceding is doubly true on Memorial Day. We're all still here.

Many of the people who made all of this possible, aren't.

Very nice and insightful read especially as a dad and coach to 8 & 10 year old boys. The days and years fly by so fast, just want to appreciate the journey before it’s over. Great work Cajunfun!

Geaux Louisiana!

Happy Memorial Day to all our great Cajun fans!

Quote Originally Posted by cajun55 View Post
    Very nice and insightful read especially as a dad and coach to 8 & 10 year old boys. The days and years fly by so fast, just want to appreciate the journey before it’s over. Great work Cajunfun!

Geaux Louisiana!

Happy Day to all our great Cajun fans!
    RESPECTFULLY, FIFY.

Nothing happy about Memorial Day…first hand witness.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    RESPECTFULLY, FIFY.

Nothing happy about Memorial Day…first hand witness.
    I'm a veteran, and I've seen a lot of death, although I have not seen death in warfare. I have read and written about it a lot, but I still can't imagine it.

But none of us can speak for the war dead, nor any of the dead. All we can do is speak for ourselves.

Should I die in warfare, or in any service to others, I would do it so that others might be able to live in happiness. And I would want myself, and my contributions, to also be remembered with happiness.

I would be grateful if, on the anniversary of my death, someone might think to say, "Happy Joe Day!"

But that's me.

100% FACTS!

Now, it’s time to GROW the fan base! We are on the right path to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    I'm a veteran, and I've seen a lot of death, although I have not seen death in warfare. I have read and written about it a lot, but I still can't imagine it.

But none of us can speak for the war dead, nor any of the dead. All we can do is speak for ourselves.

Should I die in warfare, or in any service to others, I would do it so that others might be able to live in happiness. And I would want myself, and my contributions, to also be remembered with happiness.

I would be grateful if, on the anniversary of my death, someone might think to say, "Happy Joe Day!"

But that's me.
    Lost an uncle in WW2 in Italy. My mom still mourns him today. Had another uncle wounded and was receiving a Purple Heart at the same time he was told of his brother’s death. Threw his PH away on the spot.

My father never really spoke of what he saw. Learned near the time of his death a minute amount about the USS Mount Hood. Basically, for about a week they removed human chum from the water to stave off sharks from cutting into the natural food supply. He never hunted or fished when he came home. War is hell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Mount_Hood_(AE-11)

Otherwise, Geaux Cajuns!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Over the years, I have watched our fans point at the school du jour, whoever is winning this season, and ask, "Why isn't that us?!!" UNT, Troy, App State, Boise State, whomever.

How many schools today look at us in the same way? We were Top 25 in football 2 of the past 3 years, went to a bowl this season and almost beat a team headed for the P5 next year. We made the NCAA tournaments for several sports, including a super for softball. We have facilities that are among the best in G5. We recently made R1. We have dramatically expanded our campus, and we have multiple new buildings going up.

Outside of the state, everyone now calls us 'Louisiana.' Because two of our biggest assets, something that I promise you that many other mid-majors envy, are simply 'University of Louisiana,' and 'Ragin' Cajuns.'

When I started at U(S)L in 1977, our big rival was McNeese. The only real in-state rivals we have left are State & Tulane. Our conference rival is USM, and I suspect the future will show that the two of us are the elite of the SBC: we are the only two charter members of the FBS, we are two of only four R1 schools in the 'Belt, and we have the longevity, history, and fanbase to keep us going through bad times.

Oh, and don't forget some of the biggest news: 22 years ago LTU went to the MWC, then to C-USA, and we had to listen to their sniveling and swaggering for two decades. Then BAM! the 'Belt jumps on C-USA when they're down, and LTU is suddenly trapped in a dumpster fire... and it's probably going to get worse, because MTSU & WKU are still trying to leave.

Now, think were we were 10 years ago. Think where we were just 5 years ago.

Think of all we have to be grateful for right now.

And yet, over the fear we might not get into one more NCAA tournament, even with a pitching staff that is much more than decimated, and with a team that nevertheless still managed to pull out 40 wins... people here have been whining.

We got in, but I still spent part of my morning writing my first blog post in years. You might read it.

Remember to smell the roses:

Winning & the Entitlement Mentality
    Well said. I would summarize by saying if we become grateful for what we do have vs being resentful of what we don’t have, we would have more good days than bad

PS Back when I was at UL, there was no Internet. But I'm pretty sure one school we looked at and asked, "Why can't we be like them?" was USM.

1981, tied 'Bama, beat FSU (and thumped the Cajuns... I was there)
    1982, beat 'Bama.
    1983, beat Ole Miss & Mississippi State

They were so-so for a few years...

1989, beat FSU first game, who was pre-season #6 & finished #3
    1990, beat 'Bama AND Auburn (had t-shirts made, 'Alabama State Champs')
    1991, beat Auburn (in a miserable USM season)
    1994, beat State in Refineryville (I was at that game... interesting story)
    1997, finished #19 in AP Poll (Ole Miss was #22)
    1999, finished #14 (all 3 Mississippi schools were ranked)

It should prove to be a good rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Lost an uncle in WW2 in Italy. My mom still mourns him today. Had another uncle wounded and was receiving a Purple Heart at the same time he was told of his brother’s death. Threw his PH away on the spot.

My father never really spoke of what he saw. Learned near the time of his death a minute amount about the USS Mount Hood. Basically, for about a week they removed human chum from the water to stave off sharks from cutting into the natural food supply. He never hunted or fished when he came home. War is hell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Mount_Hood_(AE-11)

Otherwise, Geaux Cajuns!
    That is horrific. I am so sorry, for your family, and for everyone who has ever seen what no one should see.

Which is millions and millions of people, even today. As you note, and as State's 1st president is remembered for saying, "War is hell." I spent years researching this stuff in depth while I was working on my book. I suspect that the only reason it didn't break me was because all my years in the ER taught me how to compartmentalize.

But I have to keep the vault locked & barred to this day.

"We were Top 25 in football 2 of the past 3 years, went to a bowl this season and almost beat a team headed for the P5 next year"

- epitome of UL sports .. almost did something great but fell juuuust short!

"We made the NCAA tournaments for several sports, including a super for softball."

- same story .. made tournaments, but nobody remembers us being there because we didn't win anything.

"We have facilities that are among the best in G5."

-- the gap between us and other top G5 teams (in better conferences) is shrinking, if it's still there at all

"We have dramatically expanded our campus, and we have multiple new buildings going up."

-- definitely true.. my father in law is a big "Ooh-la-la" guy and even he couldn't help but admit how great the campus looked this weekend

"The only real in-state rivals we have left are State & Tulane."

- what in the world? Baseball/football/basketball against LA Tech, you penciling in a win? Because I'm not.. you feel confident in Dez beating ULM?

"Now, think were we were 10 years ago. Think where we were just 5 years ago."

- 5 years ago we were drawing 30k at football and top 10 attendance in baseball ... that ain't NEARLY the case anymore.. Even with all of our almosts you listed.

"People here have been whining."

All of the things you mentioned as positives have largely been squandered by the university, as far as upward momentum goes.. We're also getting decimated in every sport by P5 NIL money...

There's plenty to whine about but I agree, plenty to be thankful for as well. I don't share your sentiment that everything is rosey just because everything was a dumpster fire 20 years ago

12. Default Re: Let's Review

Quote Originally Posted by jaxmc1023 View Post
    "We were Top 25 in football 2 of the past 3 years, went to a bowl this season and almost beat a team headed for the P5 next year"

"We made the NCAA tournaments for several sports, including a super for softball."

- same story .. made tournaments, but nobody remembers us being there because we didn't win anything.

-- the gap between us and other top G5 teams (in better conferences) is shrinking, if it's still there at all

"We have dramatically expanded our campus, and we have multiple new buildings going up."

-- definitely true.. my father in law is a big "Ooh-la-la" guy and even he couldn't help but admit how great the campus looked this weekend

- what in the world? Baseball/football/basketball against LA Tech, you penciling in a win? Because I'm not.. you feel confident in Dez beating ULM?

- 5 years ago we were drawing 30k at football and top 10 attendance in baseball ... that ain't NEARLY the case anymore.. Even with all of our almosts you listed.

All of the things you mentioned as positives have largely been squandered by the university, as far as upward momentum goes.. We're also getting decimated in every sport by P5 NIL money...

There's plenty to whine about but I agree, plenty to be thankful for as well. I don't share your sentiment that everything is rosey just because everything was a dumpster fire 20 years ago
    ……No doubt that we have really 2 problems and they lend to one another…..we aren’t a P-5 and we do not have the attendance…..but other than Covid what happened to the attendance….and more importantly, let’s fix it…..why not the greatest Season ticket push in Cajun history? I know the Powers’s listen to this….. L WHAT DO/??

Listen to CajunFun... he knows what he is talking about!

14. Default Re: Let's Review

You are the epitome of this board and the vocal Cajun fan. This could be enough to make 90% just turn off Cajun Sports.

Listen to Dr Fun, he has a path towards success, not doldrums . . .

15. Default Re: Let's Review

I believe this year we happened to fit right into a protected class. You repeatedly saw Brian say if they let this one in to be consistent they need to let us in and if they let that one in, to be consistent they need to let us in. He had about three or four of those and combined we were alway ahead of the end of the cut line so we got in.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information