Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Let's Review

Default Re: Let's Review

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Whether on the couch, in the stadium, on the sidelines, or on a message board, strategy discussions are what make sports fun.

Some think strategy discussions are off limits, and I think this stance has led to attendance declines.

If you don't discuss the nuances of the game, there are fewer people who understand the game.

If you don't understand the game, you are less likely to attend.
    You also may be less likely to attend if you are constantly reading on here how stupid the coaches are and how bad the team is.

Just a thought.

That said, discussing strategy has absolutely nothing to do with the post I made about this. In fact, I specifically said it in the post.

And like Cajunrage’s last posts here point out, there are just certain personality types that are just born to complain, regardless of results. Last year the team ONLY made a regional because they won the SBC tourney. Now (ALREADY) this year, it’s just because they did well in the tourney! I mean…come on man. When all the games were played, they received a bid. Wild.

As for being a “baseball purist”, get on line and find some games to watch from the 70s and 80s. Specifically, watch the St. Louis Cardinals win a World Series (and play in two others) in the 1980s and see what they were doing. And they were far from alone in the way they played offensive baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    You also may be less likely to attend if you are constantly reading on here how stupid the coaches are and how bad the team is.

Just a thought.

That said, discussing strategy has absolutely nothing to do with the post I made about this. In fact, I specifically said it in the post.

And like Cajunrage’s last posts here point out, there are just certain personality types that are just born to complain, regardless of results. Last year the team ONLY made a regional because they won the SBC tourney. Now (ALREADY) this year, it’s just because they did well in the tourney! I mean…come on man. When all the games were played, they received a bid. Wild.

As for being a “baseball purist”, get on line and find some games to watch from the 70s and 80s. Specifically, watch the St. Louis Cardinals win a World Series (and play in two others) in the 1980s and see what they were doing. And they were far from alone in the way they played offensive baseball.
    Fact: body of work last year was not good enough for regional outside of a tourney win
    Fact: body of work this year was good enough for a regional (it was by the thinnest of margins and most likely would have changed by simply being on the other side of the sbc bracket)
    Fact: baseball has been around for more than 2 decades and there have been spurts of different strategy. But as I said, stood the test of time.

I'm a Braves fan and love watching Acuna run wild, but even he dials it down in certain situations. This style worked in 2014 because we had a complete squad. They could lay down a bunt just as easily as putting a ball in the pine trees. We had an amazing pitching staff. This style falters when you are missing certain pieces. If Deggs is able to put together a dominate pitching staff, have at it with the chaos approach. Call me a complainer. I can't say things are "working" when you have to hold your breath every time there's a decision to send a runner or someone is coming out of the pen (minus a couple on the staff).

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    We have been in for three days now and you are still complaining . . .
    We accidentally won 40 games and are in a regional. In spite of how horrible we are at coaching and playing baseball.

4. Default Re: Let's Review

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    We accidentally won 40 games and are in a regional. In spite of how horrible we are at coaching and playing baseball.
    We accidentally won 40 while 42 of the 64 teams failed to even reach that milestone despite the fact of how great they were at coaching and playing baseball . . . how ironic . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    Fact: body of work last year was not good enough for regional outside of a tourney win
    Fact: body of work this year was good enough for a regional (it was by the thinnest of margins and most likely would have changed by simply being on the other side of the sbc bracket)
    Fact: baseball has been around for more than 2 decades and there have been spurts of different strategy. But as I said, stood the test of time.

I'm a Braves fan and love watching Acuna run wild, but even he dials it down in certain situations. This style worked in 2014 because we had a complete squad. They could lay down a bunt just as easily as putting a ball in the pine trees. We had an amazing pitching staff. This style falters when you are missing certain pieces. If Deggs is able to put together a dominate pitching staff, have at it with the chaos approach. Call me a complainer. I can't say things are "working" when you have to hold your breath every time there's a decision to send a runner or someone is coming out of the pen (minus a couple on the staff).
    So making regionals is only good enough (and a coach is only successful) if it’s done playing a style that you like?

And each of the last two seasons were failures…until they weren’t?

Lol. This is exactly what I’m referring to. I’m not arguing with you. I was just pointing out what a strange outlook that is, at least to me. Maybe I’m the odd one though.

To me, results are results. And they aren’t the result until the end. I’ve never understood being upset about what MIGHT happen. I prefer to enjoy the process along the way and wait for something bad to happen before being mad about it. And if the end result is good, be happy about it. Like each of the last 2 seasons.

To each his own though. Hopefully next season the team goes 50-6 and everyone is happy. Unless they lose the first game of the season to someone like Eastern Illinois. Then I’m sure the pitchforks will be out in full effect.

Just FYI, this years team’s ERA is better in relation to the median ERA in the Sun Belt than the 2014 team’s was.

And this years team has a higher success rate stealing bases than the 2014 team did. This team has hit more HRs per game than the 2014 team did (and are just 2 behind the 2014 total). This team has a higher fielding % than the 2014 did.

That team had 3 starters that were true starting types, and they all stayed healthy all season. This one does not, and did not.

The point is, this team is good. And whether or not they earned their at large bid in the first week or the last week is irrelevant. After 62 games, they were one of the teams chosen to play in the NCAA tournament based on their results in those 62 games.

6. Default Re: Let's Review

So making regionals is only good enough (and a coach is only successful) if it’s done playing a style that you like?

Lol. This is exactly what I’m referring to. I’m not arguing with you. I was just pointing out what a strange outlook that is, at least to me. Maybe I’m the odd one though.

To me, results are results. And they aren’t the result until the end. I’ve never understood being upset about what MIGHT happen. I prefer to enjoy the process along the way and wait for something bad to happen before being mad about it. And if the end result is good, be happy about it. Like each of the last 2 seasons.

To each his own though. Hopefully next season the team goes 50-6 and everyone is happy. Unless they lose the first game of the season to someone like Eastern Illinois. Then I’m sure the pitchforks will be out in full effect.

Just FYI, this years team’s ERA is better in relation to the median ERA in the Sun Belt than the 2014 team’s was.

And this years team has a higher success rate stealing bases than the 2014 team did. This team has hit more HRs per game than the 2014 team did (and are just 2 behind the 2014 total). This team has a higher fielding % than the 2014 did.

That team had 3 starters that were true starting types, and they all stayed healthy all season. This one does not, and did not.

The point is, this team is good. And whether or not they earned their at large bid in the first week or the last week is irrelevant. After 62 games, they were one of the teams chosen to play in the NCAA tournament based on their results in those 62 games.
    Some people are interested in the nuances and some people are bottom line. Neither is right or wrong.

7. Default Re: Let's Review

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Some people are interested in the nuances and some people are bottom line. Neither is right or wrong.
    Quit trying to cover that two years in a row you prematurely sold out on your team and it’s players and coaches and did it in a very vocal manner.

I’m all about the nuances myself. I love to analyze situations and statistics. And I can 100% say that I didn’t agree with a lot of things that happened this season. Or any other one.

But I’m not gonna say the coach is stupid or terrible, and that I hate this team, and that so and so should have to find his way back home from a road trip because he got picked off or struck out with the bases loaded or walked a guy or gave up a HR.

I’m also not going to call the coaches, players…the entire team, a failure a week before they are announced as an at large NCAA regional team.

9. Default Re: Let's Review

I’m all about the nuances myself. I love to analyze situations and statistics. And I can 100% say that I didn’t agree with a lot of things that happened this season. Or any other one.

But I’m not gonna say the coach is stupid or terrible, and that I hate this team, and that so and so should have to find his way back home from a road trip because he got picked off or struck out with the bases loaded or walked a guy or gave up a HR.

I’m also not going to call the coaches, players…the entire team, a failure a week before they are announced as an at large NCAA regional team.
    If you’re a nuanced guy, then you can’t honestly ignore the emotional component to being a fan either. Fringe comments in low situations don’t fairly represent the overwhelming majority of even the nuanced crowd.

Now all of this said, we are all fans of the same team (at least I think so in some cases) and our team is heading to play a regional with 2 of the most historically dominant programs in the country. And another that, in my day, was a powerhouse as well. This regional is one of only 3 that has 4 schools that have all been to Omaha, and has the most combined appearances of any of the regionals.

We should be celebrating the accomplishment and getting ready to cheer on our guys playing big boy college baseball this weekend.

In this case all the nuances led to a pretty good bottom line. I recommend everyone enjoy it, because it doesn't always happen.

If you’re a nuanced guy, then you can’t honestly ignore the emotional component to being a fan either. Fringe comments in low situations don’t fairly represent the overwhelming majority of even the nuanced crowd.
    Most of the emotional outbursts are typically about things that the average Joe has no idea how difficult the things they are mad about are to do at this level. And

I would venture to guess, actually it’s pretty obvious, that most of the people that bash the things the Cajuns do or don’t do to their liking, don’t watch very many other college baseball games. The same stuff happens everywhere. And always has.

I’m moving on now. I’m excited to see what this team is able to do this weekend.

First, what you described is not my outlook. I was simply giving an explanation of not being sure that Degg's approach is sustainable at this moment in time and that the results don't prove anything in my opinion. As I said earlier, if Tulane had the same season next year, would you say that they were heading in the right direction simply by making a regional two years in a row? I highly doubt it.

Second, why was 2014 #1 and this team was on the bubble? It's not apples to apples and you know that. Claiming that this team was so close to being 2014 is a disservice because it overlooks some obvious issues with the team that need to be fixed.

I'm with you though. We all love this team and it's who we have to cheer on until they are no longer playing this season. It's not going to be pretty. There will be times everyone will be holding their breath. But if they continue to win, I'll be cheering them on every pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    I'll bite.

I very rarely come to this site during games just to see what folks are talking about. It's usually because something happened and I want to discuss. So, when things are going well, I don't really have a need to come here. I also don't believe in saying "great job team, you did everything you were supposed to" on a message board as often as some of you would like. I have posted it several times throughout the season but will not come here and congratulate the team on every victory. I'm also bit of a baseball purist and Deggs style of coaching is not very conducive to that. There's a reason he's getting paid and I'm on a message board, but I don't have to like everything he does. I'm going to mention it every single time because I believe that there's a reason that many baseball strategies have stood the test of time. The biggest pet peeve of mine, though, and likely the biggest reason that I lean to the negative side and get into arguments is that there are some that will claim to be Robe "disciples" (for lack of better term) but will go out of their way to justify things that Tony would be rolling in his grave over. A couple examples, pitching staff management and poor baserunning (both by players and coaches). Saying Deggs is the man now is one thing. Talking about how it's smart and good strategy is another.

All that said, I love this school and love this program. My dad wore Cajuns across his chest and every one of his children holds a degree from here. I want the best for the program and hope this team can hoist a trophy in a few weeks doing it whatever way they can.
    I will say this. Robe had a certain style of play. It worked for his style of coaching.

Deggs has his style of play. It seems to work pretty darn well.

Both were/are successful and very frustrating at time. But Robe’s style of play is not how we do things around here anymore. Yes we could use better pitching. But there were tons of times Robe’s pitching decisions didn’t work out.

Degg’s can frustrate some of y’all every game, but the bottom line is we are in back to back regionals. Once as the SBC Tourney Champ and now as an at large. We will continue to improve and get better each year as a program. Deggs took over a program that was in pretty poor shape, by our standards.

He just has to build off of that.

Bingo! The 2014 team had bulldogs on the mound that stayed healthy. Performances like Marshall’s were what we expected. Albeit, not 140 pitches. But the way he commanded his pitches and establish a presence on the mound.

We only saw glimpses of that this year from the staff. They just couldn’t sustain it from an individual perspective. Collectively they did well.

There were three frustrating series. App, Troy and JMU. Yet here we are, an at large that was earned. It wasn’t given. The SEC at larges are given. The SBC earns at large bids and this squad earned it. With Matt Deggs at the helm. He is building his pack and when the buy in is there. It’s some fun baseball to watch.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information