Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana vs State

1. Default Re: Louisiana vs State

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I thought Tulane was the U of L before going private?
    They were.

Default Re: Louisiana vs State

I disagree: the wiki article about lsu gives the complete history of it, including all 5 different names. All of this is sourced, so it is reliable. Unsourced verbiage on wiki is usually removed very quickly, especially when it involves higher profile subjects. But even the really low-level articles are watched by folks and will be corrected eventually.

3. Default Re: Louisiana vs State

They have both opted in for a short period and then opted out.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    I disagree: the wiki article about lsu gives the complete history of it, including all 5 different names. All of this is sourced, so it is reliable. Unsourced verbiage on wiki is usually removed very quickly, especially when it involves higher profile subjects. But even the really low-level articles are watched by folks and will be corrected eventually.
    Don't trust Ms. Wiki, at all.

5. Default Re: Louisiana vs State

I disagree: the wiki article about lsu give the complete history of it, including all 5 different names. All of this is sourced, so it is reliable. Unsourced verbiage on wiki is usually removed very quickly, especially when it involves higher profile subjects. But even the really low-level articles are watched by folks and will be corrected eventually.
    Well the official school yearbooks for those years never deviated from calling the school Louisiana State University A&M

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Well the official school yearbooks for those years never deviated from calling the school Louisiana State University A&M
    Well, it is possible that a school refers to itself other than what it’s legal name is, right?

7. Default Re: Louisiana vs State

Well, it is possible that a school refers to itself other than what it’s legal name is, right?
    Sure, absolutely.

However, a yearbook is usually the fastest document to pounce on any change, and LSU's yearbook is silent on the change for all the years mentioned.

They were.
    U of, not UL

lol

Lead by example,lol

Stanley Bertman (born May 23, 1938)

another purple naming option caught my eye….why arent they L-State

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I thought Tulane was the U of L before going private?
    Yes. Changed name after Paul Tulane endowed them, and in 1884 offically became the Tulane University of Louisiana.

Which made for amusing addition as an adversary in the name fight a century later when Tulane claimed they were the University of Louisiana. Like they were going to drop Tulane.

________

Fun, today I got a reminder how far we have come, and how far we have to go. Spoke with two friends that happen to be ULM grads. Brought up UL's R1 status and the private research money coming in. Of course, they refered to "the monkey farm" and think there is no way money is flowing in for that. One even went as far as saying it was all made up.

I then asked them how many students they thought was in the LSU and ULS system. They got close on LSU, missed miserably on the ULS system. I pointed out the ULS system programs need to unite and focus on what each does well, because LSU will never be the all encompassing best in every program, AND, parlay that into votes in the legislature. I then pointed to the pharmacy program at ULM, alas, I learned something. The vast majority of the pharmacy students went to other colleges AND they are not educated on the main campus. The pharmacy school is located in the old State Farm office complex. Very few of those grads donate to ULM. Meanwhile...

We complain about the name game. I'm big on that. Keep that fight going.

However, the academic side needs to keep pushing hard EVERY DAY for private investment in our research programs. At some point, an endowment will come down that the legislature will not be able to ignore or redirect to Baton Rouge. There's your medical and/or dental school.

Just for S&Gs, I looked at the personal pages of many of those who posted on the LSU softball page Sunday. To say the vast majority's closest encounter with LSU educationally was driving by on I-10 on a school day would be the norm. That's the battle we have...Walmart Tiger fans, some who run their own businesses and donate. A dozen of those is the equilivant to a whale donor.

Wow, one name change in 1884 and another in 1984, can't wait to see what 2084 brings

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    Wow, one name change in 1884 and another in 1984, can't wait to see what 2084 brings
    2084?

大学 路易斯安那州

Over in C-DOA, El Aye Tech has 1 foot in the grave, MTSU beat them.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information