Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst . 9 16 17 18 19

Thread: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 9, Southern Miss 11

1. Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 9, Southern Miss 11

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    That's correct. Brian is just saying Cajuns could have been the 3rd seed had Cajuns won yesterday. But, since Troy and the Cajuns finished in a tie, Troy wins the tiebreak vs. the Cajuns by virtue of Troy's series win over the Cajuns.

I'm thinking SBC is a 4 bid league this year. Locks would be Coastal, Southern Miss, and Troy. UL and Texas State fighting for the 4th in the same side of the bracket. Whichever makes it to Championship Sunday may get a bid, assuming Coastal, USM, or Troy win the conference tournament. Texas State has a better RPI than ours, but could redeem themselves after their sweep at Russo by making it to Championship Sunday and probably get their RPI back into the Top 50 Unfortunately, I don't see how Troy does get their RPI back into the Top 50 in the scenario where the Cajuns make it to the Championship - which means they would have 2 more losses prior to being eliminated - (would help the Cajuns in Quad 1 wins).
    Nobody in the belt is getting at large other than those first 3. Troy could be on the bubble if one of those three teams doesn’t win tourney.

2. Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 9, Southern Miss 11

That's correct. Brian is just saying Cajuns could have been the 3rd seed had Cajuns won yesterday. But, since Troy and the Cajuns finished in a tie, Troy wins the tiebreak vs. the Cajuns by virtue of Troy's series win over the Cajuns.
    Yes . and my more indirect point in this is that it would have been helpful to be the outright 3rd place team in the Sun Belt (#5 RPI conference).

I'm thinking SBC is a 4 bid league this year. Locks would be Coastal, Southern Miss, and Troy. UL and Texas State fighting for the 4th in the same side of the bracket.
    If Coastal or Southern Mississippi wins the auto bid, this could very well be a two bid conference in 2023. I think Troy would be in if the season ended today . but after stolen bids are accounted for (which are not accounted for in any of the projections that you see), they would be on the bubble (Troy's Q1 is a problem . but as with the Cajuns, Texas State can help them). In the situation where both Coastal and Southern Mississippi make it to Sunday, there is a real possibility (dare I say likely) of only two bids from the Sun Belt (Troy being left out).

Whichever makes it to Championship Sunday may get a bid, assuming Coastal, USM, or Troy win the conference tournament. Texas State has a better RPI than ours, but could redeem themselves after their sweep at Russo by making it to Championship Sunday and probably get their RPI back into the Top 50 Unfortunately, I don't see how Troy does get their RPI back into the Top 50 in the scenario where the Cajuns make it to the Championship - which means they would have 2 more losses prior to being eliminated - (would help the Cajuns in Quad 1 wins).
    I assume you meant Texas State above.

The best path for the Cajuns (but not winning the auto bid) would be to beat Texas State once and Coastal Carolina twice . before losing to Southern Mississippi on Sunday. But even with that I think the Cajuns would need a significant amount of help to snag an at-large bid. Is it possible? Yes. But where things are now, chances are not good even in that scneario. They really needed that series win this past weekend (Texas State is their only RPI Top 100 series win).

Brian

Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 9, Southern Miss 11

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post

I assume you meant Texas State above.

The best path for the Cajuns (but not winning the auto bid) would be to beat Texas State once and Coastal Carolina twice . before losing to Southern Mississippi on Sunday. But even with that I think the Cajuns would need a significant amount of help to snag an at-large bid. Is it possible? Yes. But where things are now, chances are not good even in that scneario. They really needed that series win this past weekend (Texas State is their only RPI Top 100 series win).

Brian
    Yes. Texas State.

Enjoy your posts. Always very informative.

While I’d obviously be thrilled to see it, I don’t see us winning the tournament with our questionable pitching decisions. Last year’s win seemed questionable as well, so I guess we’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard 1280 View Post
    While I’d obviously be thrilled to see it, I don’t see us winning the tournament with our questionable pitching decisions. Last year’s win seemed questionable as well, so I guess we’ll see.
    Our team ERA is a very close 2nd to USM.

However, how that ERA is deployed could arguably make the effective ERA much higher.

This weekend being a prime example.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst . 9 16 17 18 19

Thread Information