Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If NIL and Portal existed in say ... 2002

1. NFL, NBA, MLB If NIL and Portal existed in say ... 2002

If NIL and Portal existed in 2002, I doubt Ike Taylor would have made THE NFL.

As a "self made man" I have zero doubt he would have portaled out as a running back with Baldwin. He would have never been drafted as a running back, and that is the only way his destination team would have seen him.

If not for coach Bartel's astute eye, his career would have ended before it started.

He also benefitted greatly playing across from, and practicing with Tillman

Tillman for his part would have had multiple NIL offers and would have probably ended his career elsewhere before going to the NFL.

What we can learn from Taylor is, be willing to change positions, and Portaling out isn't always the answer.

What a great career he had. Good thing it happened when it did.

Default Re: If NIL and Portal existed in say ... 2002

Well said, Turbine! It’s a good thing the portal didn’t exist in 2002. Like you said, neither Ike or Charles would’ve lasted long here and both would end up ruining their careers because they transferred.

We need players that are willing to stay put, transferring to another school is most likely NOT going to help your career. Think about Emani Bailey? He transferred to TCU and you never heard his name again. It’s a shame honestly.

Fwiw- his kid is one of the top CBs coming out in the 2025 class

https://www.on3.com/db/ivan-taylor-154113/recruiting/

4. Default Re: If NIL and Portal existed in say ... 2002

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Think about Emani Bailey? He transferred to TCU and you never heard his name again. It’s a shame honestly.
    Emani might get a break, TCU has a new OC coming in with Kendall Briles and they tend to take a fresh look at everything.

We know he has that 8 yards a pop capability.

5. Default Re: If NIL and Portal existed in say ... 2002

He has plenty of missed yards to catch up on.

6. Default Re: If NIL and Portal existed in say ... 2002

We've heard nothing from Lacy or Garner either. Lacy would have been a top target here and probably on some early draft boards (see Michael Jefferson). Instead, he's fighting for his life for any relevance after not even being anywhere near last season.

Quote Originally Posted by FeelDaRage View Post
    We've heard nothing from Lacy or Garner either. Lacy would have been a top target here and probably on some early draft boards (see Michael Jefferson). Instead, he's fighting for his life for any relevance after not even being anywhere near last season.
    Those guys too. One thing that was kinda strange was that I bought a box of football trading cards with 2023 rookies in it, and I got a Mekhi Garner card with him in an LSU uniform. Did he declare for the draft? I don’t recall him getting picked up at all, not even as a UDFA.

8. Default Re: If NIL and Portal existed in say ... 2002

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Those guys too. One thing that was kinda strange was that I bought a box of football trading cards with 2023 rookies in it, and I got a Mekhi Garner card with him in an LSU uniform. Did he declare for the draft? I don’t recall him getting picked up at all, not even as a UDFA.
    I think Garner signed a UDFA with the Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    You are correct, just now seeing that. I wonder how long he’ll last there…

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Eagles also signed CB Eli Ricks to an UDFA deal. Ricks transferred from BR to Alabama. He was basically the guy that Garner replaced in BR

Ricks had a similar plight where transferring ended up hurting his draft stock

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    Eagles also signed CB Eli Ricks to an UDFA deal. Ricks transferred from BR to Alabama. He was basically the guy that Garner replaced in BR

Ricks had a similar plight where transferring ended up hurting his draft stock
    I have a feeling Trey Amos is gonna end up with a similar story to Ricks. Going to Alabama is gonna burn his draft stock to the ground. I seriously doubt he’s gonna do anything there.

For alot of these guys, the fallback is the NIL. Yes they are looking for the exposure and the chance to get drafted higher…but the promise of NIL money is whats really attractive to them NOW.

13. Default Re: If NIL and Portal existed in say ... 2002

Tyrell Fenroy finally graduated this year. Do y'all think we would have lost him too?

14. Default Re: If NIL and Portal existed in say ... 2002

Quote Originally Posted by FeelDaRage View Post
    Tyrell Fenroy finally graduated this year. Do y'all think we would have lost him too?
    I privately wondered that the other day.

By the end of his Jr. year it would have been real hard for other schools not to meddle with a 3-straight 1000 yard rusher.

Default Re: How you build brand and create excitement

With NIL + transfer portal, will the Cajuns (or any G5 school) ever have another athlete good enough to retire their number?

Sad to say, but I don't think we ever see another Brian Mitchell, Charles Tillman, etc. graduate from UL. As soon as a player has an All-American worthy freshman, sophomore, or junior season, they will be off to a P5 school for the big NIL money that UL can not afford to pay. The destruction of G5 football is really sad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information