Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Games of Interest 5/11/23

UL Softball Re: Games of Interest 5/11/23

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    Cajun opponents playing on Saturday:

Central Florida vs. Tulsa (AAC championship)
    Florida State vs. Duke (ACC championship)
    Indiana vs. Northwestern (Big 10 championship)
    Princeton (needs 2 wins) vs. Harvard (Ivy championship)
    UCLA vs. Utah (PAC 12 championship)
    McNeese (undefeated)vs. Southeastern Louisiana (Southland championship)

UCF, FSU, UCLA and McNeese are favored in their games. Princeton beat Harvard beat 2 of 3 during the regular season so they can do it again. Indiana might move into the top 25 with a win.
    UCF 9, Tulsa 1 (5)
    Florida State 2, Duke 1
    Northwestern 2, Indiana 1
    Princeton 6, Harvard 0 (forces if)
    Harvard 3, Princeton 2
    McNeese 1, SLU 0 (8)

UCLA plays Utah at 9:00 (our time) tonight.

Indiana was up 1-0 going into the bottom of the 7th and couldn't finish.

2. Default Re: Games of Interest 5/11/23

UCF 9, Tulsa 1 (5)
    Florida State 2, Duke 1
    Northwestern 2, Indiana 1
    Princeton 6, Harvard 0 (forces if)
    Harvard 3, Princeton 2
    McNeese 1, SLU 0 (8)

UCLA plays Utah at 9:00 (our time) tonight.

Indiana was up 1-0 going into the bottom of the 7th and couldn't finish.
    ……Sooooo, Slick and VOB….where are we going or staying….do y’all agree….have you 2 ever met??….I’ll treat lunch in Aville !….Biurbon Street! Lol

3. UL Softball Re: Games of Interest 5/11/23

UCF, FSU, UCLA and McNeese are favored in their games. Princeton beat Harvard beat 2 of 3 during the regular season so they can do it again. Indiana might move into the top 25 with a win.
    Not that it matters now, but even with a win over Northwestern, Indiana had no chance of making it into the RPI Top 25. Entering today's action there was simply too much RPI separation.

Brian

Default Re: Games of Interest 5/11/23

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Not that it matters now, but even with a win over Northwestern, Indiana had no chance of making it into the RPI Top 25. Entering today's action there was simply too much RPI separation.

Brian
    I didn't actually attempt to do the math, I was just hoping that if South Carolina (#29) lost to Tennessee and with the four teams from 28-25 not playing, there might be a chance. I didn't take into consideration that Louisiana and North Carolina-Greensboro were the only Hoosier opponents playing today to help their 50%. Yes, UNCG won.

5. Default Re: Games of Interest 5/11/23

I didn't actually attempt to do the math, I was just hoping that if South Carolina (#29) lost to Tennessee and with the four teams from 28-25 not playing, there might be a chance. I didn't take into consideration that Louisiana and North Carolina-Greensboro were the only Hoosier opponents playing today to help their 50%. Yes, UNCG won.
    I did not either . just eyeballed it. But it was obvious.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ……Sooooo, Slick and VOB….where are we going or staying….do y’all agree….have you 2 ever met??….I’ll treat lunch in Aville !….Biurbon Street! Lol
    Slick and VOB have meet before.

7. Default Re: Games of Interest 5/11/23

Meanwhile, the Cajuns remain at the #11 RPI ranking … just a hair away from Texas at #10. Texas’ RPI went up slightly with the loss vs. Oklahoma. If the Cajuns' had beaten South Alabama in the finals instead of Marshall, they would have finished with the #10 RPI ranking.

The Cajuns end up 2-9 vs. the RPI Top 25, 13-2 vs. 26->50, and 12-1 vs. 50->100.

Nobody in the RPI Top 25 had more road wins than the Cajuns. UCLA and Duke also had 16 road wins.

Something that helped the Cajuns . Central Arkansas moved into the RPI Top 16 at #16, pushing Georgia to #17. While the UCA resume is good, I do not think it is quite as good as the Cajuns.

But does Georgia still get to host? Baylor at #19? Meanwhile, Utah at #18 made significant leaps forward with wins over Washington and UCLA . winning the Pac 12 title. At 9-9 vs. the RPI Top 25 and possessing the Pac 12 tournament title (finishing 3rd in the Pac 12, ahead of Stanford . and behind UCLA and Washington), Utah is looking like a national seed.

This looks like 3 spots (national seeds) up for grabs between .
    #11 Louisiana
    #15 Clemson (they moved up a spot)
    #16 Central Arkansas
    #17 Georgia
    #18 Utah
    #19 Baylor

I have #14 Arkansas as in.

The last time a #11 seed was left out as a national seed was 2017. It was Minnesota with their 2 RPI Top 25 wins. That said, the Cajuns have other things in their favor and every year is different. It depends on how you match up against the competition for the last spots.

I would have Utah in above all of the others.

Brian

Meanwhile, the Cajuns remain at the #11 RPI ranking … just a hair away from Texas at #10. Texas’ RPI went up slightly with the loss vs. Oklahoma. If the Cajuns' had beaten South Alabama in the finals instead of Marshall, they would have finished with the #10 RPI ranking.

The Cajuns end up 2-9 vs. the RPI Top 25, 13-2 vs. 26->50, and 12-1 vs. 50->100.

Nobody in the RPI Top 25 had more road wins than the Cajuns. UCLA and Duke also had 16 road wins.

Brian
    The 1 loss in the 50>100 zone is an outlier. Even the ‘62 Mets were the proverbial blind squirrel 40 times.

Brian
    I was wondering about that yesterday. If playing Marshall was less of an RPI advantage than SOAL?

Anyway. Are we the 16 seed with an 11 RPI or will the committee be cool?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    I was wondering about that yesterday. If playing Marshall was less of an RPI advantage than SOAL?

Anyway. Are we the 16 seed with an 11 RPI or will the committee be cool?
    We could be anywhere from #15 seed to not hosting IMO.

11. Default Re: Games of Interest 5/11/23

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    I fully agree with this assessment. I would not be surprised if we are a national seed and host . and will not be surprised if we are playing somewhere else as a #2 regional seed.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    The negative side of me wants to say we’ll get hosed.

The positive side of me does not exist when it comes to the committee so chances are we’ll get hosed. I’d love to be wrong, though.

I hope TSXT or SOAL get an at large. But again, you’re dealing with a committee. Have to make room for 12th and 13th place SEC teams.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    The negative side of me wants to say we’ll get hosed.

The positive side of me does not exist when it comes to the committee so chances are we’ll get hosed. I’d love to be wrong, though.

I hope TSXT or SOAL get an at large. But again, you’re dealing with a committee. Have to make room for 12th and 13th place SEC teams.
    That’s a sad commentary. 12th and 13th place. Couldn’t make the conference tournament, but they’ll get in to field of 64 due to strength of conference. I know it’s a sarcastic comment. But it makes me wonder.

And since when did the SEC get so much power and influence in Softball? Thought PAC-12 and Big-12 were queens of the diamond

When they decided to commit to it and started funding the sport. They have more money than anyone for facilities and recruiting.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information