Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Interview with President Savoie

Default Re: Interview with President Savoie

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    With funding secured, which it seemed wasn't done yet.
    Is anyone surprised by this.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    What would be the point? Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Both Jan and her husband John are super individuals in their own ways. Have been around one or the other for over 25 years. She would be a great ambassador for Lafayette if she is able to win for MP. It would be really nice to have her intelligence and experiences in the office.
    Went to her website. She makes quite an interesting statement here:

We have been told that problems such as drainage, for instance, are being tackled. I will tell you we do have a drainage problem. In fact, we have two drainage problems. The first one deals with water. The second one deals with the drainage of money benefiting the insiders and dealmakers while the basics of local government are being neglected.

4. Default Re: Interview with President Savoie

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Went to her website. She makes quite an interesting statement here:

We have been told that problems such as drainage, for instance, are being tackled. I will tell you we do have a drainage problem. In fact, we have two drainage problems. The first one deals with water. The second one deals with the drainage of money benefiting the insiders and dealmakers while the basics of local government are being neglected.
    Yea, easy opposition talking point, considering everything that has gone on under Guillory. Politically savvy. I think Jan is an interesting candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    No, this is what happens when one thinks they and "their people" are smarter than the regulations written in federal grants.

If you can cut thru the politics of both sides of the article linked below and get to the basic message, there lies the number one reason the City of Lafayette needs an autonomous mayor and council. As a CoL taxpayer, I am disgusted with the lack of leadership on all fronts. The 19 million dollar "loan" to a basically soon bankrupt entity (the parish) is inexcusable. Why is there red tap in government, this is a sterling example why.

This is worse than the prior admin wanting to sell LUS. That is the city's golden goose, the CoL should never throw away the savior of the CoL thru the years. "In lieu of taxes" revenue goes away if LUS is ever sold.

You would think an attorney would understand just because you own 2/3's of a tract of land does not constitute decision making rights.

Being the money was spent outside the geographic boundaries of the parish of Lafayette, and local interpretations of federal rules and regulations do not trump the federal government's, this is a cluster duck of epic proportions.

Whoever is elected will have to clean this up, at the expense of the taxpayers. Let the parish go bankrupt may be the move. Whoever new is elected, they will be a one termer simply because unpopular decisions will be required. The days of the CoL bailing out the unincorporated areas with everything from fire protection to recreation are about to be over. I'm done ranting.

https://thecurrentla.com/2023/column.a-horror-show/

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    No, this is what happens when one thinks they and "their people" are smarter than the regulations written in federal grants.

If you can cut thru the politics of both sides of the article linked below and get to the basic message, there lies the number one reason the City of Lafayette needs an autonomous mayor and council. As a CoL taxpayer, I am disgusted with the lack of leadership on all fronts. The 19 million dollar "loan" to a basically soon bankrupt entity (the parish) is inexcusable. Why is there red tap in government, this is a sterling example why.

This is worse than the prior admin wanting to sell LUS. That is the city's golden goose, the CoL should never throw away the savior of the CoL thru the years. "In lieu of taxes" revenue goes away if LUS is ever sold.

You would think an attorney would understand just because you own 2/3's of a tract of land does not constitute decision making rights.

Being the money was spent outside the geographic boundaries of the parish of Lafayette, and local interpretations of federal rules and regulations do not trump the federal government's, this is a cluster duck of epic proportions.

Whoever is elected will have to clean this up, at the expense of the taxpayers. Let the parish go bankrupt may be the move. Whoever new is elected, they will be a one termer simply because unpopular decisions will be required. The days of the CoL bailing out the unincorporated areas with everything from fire protection to recreation are about to be over. I'm done ranting.

https://thecurrentla.com/2023/column.a-horror-show/
    I still think Simone Champagne would have made a great leader for both the city and the parish. But the majority of voters did not want someone who resided outside the Lafayette city limits, so…

I do believe Guillory thought he was doing the best for the parish by taking the “Trump get it done approach” that the former President used to campaign on. However, it’s a bit different to “just do it” when you’re the President of the United States and don’t have to answer to competing and higher up jurisdictions vs doing something like that as a Parish President with a neighboring conflicting parish and Louisiana State Law.

Had nothing to do with in or out the city. I went look for the exact article, seems it has been "scrubbed".

It is my understanding a few years ago the City of Lafayette now has less population than the rest of the parish. Which is becoming an issue when splitting the common expenses within LCG.such as the MP's salary, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Had nothing to do with in or out the city.
    I’ll agree to disagree.

That’s in the past anyway. I’m very curious how the stuff vs St. Martin Parish gets resolved and cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I’ll agree to disagree.

That’s in the past anyway. I’m very curious how the stuff vs St. Martin Parish gets resolved and cleaned up.
    Sent you a PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information