Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr Maggard Being Proactive (student support)

Default Dr Maggard Being Proactive (student support)

Recently Dr Maggard requested that the IFC (Greek life governing organization) get 2 to 3 representatives form each fraternity and sorority on campus to have a round table discussion on their thoughts on what needs to be done increase student support at home football games. I don’t know of any detailed changes that will take place but I do all involved through out different suggestions. Those involved were the student organizations, Dr Maggard, Sam DeMuzio, and some of the deans in charge of Greek life on campus.

The good news is Doc sees a problem and is looking for ways to address it.

Just My Opinion. The biggest issues with student support starts and ends with Martin Hall and the way they kick Greek organizations off of campus for basically no reason these days and the way they kick kids out of games for things that back in our day, would have made us look like Boy Scouts. After having a conversations with a few different kids post meeting with Maggard, they said they were afraid to tell him the real reasons support is lacking, because the very people who caused it and hold their fate as an organization were in the room. If Doc wants to fix student support he needs to start with having a heart to heart with Martin hall and ask them to stop running off students which are future alumni and his season ticket purchasing targets.

Default Re: Dr Maggard Being Proactive (student support)

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    If Doc wants to fix student support he needs to start with having a heart to heart with Martin hall and ask them to stop running off students which are future alumni and his season ticket purchasing targets.
    RPCA been saying this for a few years. The Fossil days of sock hops and “beer” usually was preceded by the word “root” are long gone.

And get a handle on music while brainstorming. Especially basketball. Guns, sexually degrading women, trashing law enforcement, vulgarity, etc really sells tickets. Find something family friendly the students listen to. I’ve straight up offered tickets and was told “I’m not bringing my wife and expose her to that crappy offensive music.”

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    RPCA been saying this for a few years. The Fossil days of sock hops and “beer” usually was preceded by the word “root” are long gone.

And get a handle on music while brainstorming. Especially basketball. Guns, sexually degrading women, trashing law enforcement, vulgarity, etc really sells tickets. Find something family friendly the students listen to. I’ve straight up offered tickets and was told “I’m not bringing my wife and expose her to that crappy offensive music.”
    If someone told you that, I’m willing to bet they’re too old to hear & comprehend the lyrics! Ha

Glad they are meeting with students. Wonder what some of the ideas were.

5. Default Re: Dr Maggard Being Proactive (student support)

Nico has been doing this every year since he got here. Glad someone else picked up this initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Nico has been doing this every year since he got here. Glad someone else picked up this initiative.
    Sounds like his ideas haven't worked.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post

I think most of the responses were about making it an event. Mostly the pre game stuff. Other than that its the same things you here on the other side other than leave us alone and quit kicking us out. Concession lines and selections…

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    Sounds like his ideas haven't worked.
    I was told Sam the new guy in charge of promotions (I think) called a side meet with kids instrumental in running university twitter and other social media accounts about promoting game day activities. From what I under stand they had some success promoting a few basketball games, unsolicited on their own, after Bob sent some players to talk to each fraternity asking them to come out for a big game. This makes sense students reaching students. They know where students get their information.

Recently Dr Maggard requested that the IFC (Greek life governing organization) get 2 to 3 representatives form each fraternity and sorority on campus to have a round table discussion on their thoughts on what needs to be done increase student support at home football games. I don’t know of any detailed changes that will take place but I do all involved through out different suggestions. Those involved were the student organizations, Dr Maggard, Sam DeMuzio, and some of the deans in charge of Greek life on campus.

The good news is Doc sees a problem and is looking for ways to address it.

Just My Opinion. The biggest issues with student support starts and ends with Martin Hall and the way they kick Greek organizations off of campus for basically no reason these days and the way they kick kids out of games for things that back in our day, would have made us look like Boy Scouts. After having a conversations with a few different kids post meeting with Maggard, they said they were afraid to tell him the real reasons support is lacking, because the very people who caused it and hold their fate as an organization were in the room. If Doc wants to fix student support he needs to start with having a heart to heart with Martin hall and ask them to stop running off students which are future alumni and his season ticket purchasing targets.

Hopefully someone sends the last paragraph to Dr. Maggard. Problem won't be completely fixed until everyone feels free to voice their opinion without fear of repurcussion. If people held their suggestions back, meeting may not result in much improvement.

I was told Sam the new guy in charge of promotions (I think) called a side meet with kids instrumental in running university twitter and other social media accounts about promoting game day activities. From what I under stand they had some success promoting a few basketball games, unsolicited on their own, after Bob sent some players to talk to each fraternity asking them to come out for a big game. This makes sense students reaching students. They know where students get their information.
    We had improved student attendance at a few basketball games this year. Hopefully improvement continues for all sports.

11. Default Re: Dr Maggard Being Proactive (student support)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    If someone told you that, I’m willing to bet they’re too old to hear & comprehend the lyrics! Ha
    Doesn't change the need.

That music will "never" pull a player or student in.

But that music will keep entire families away.

A decency protocol is all that is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Doesn't change the need.

That music will "never" pull a player or student in.

But that music will keep entire families away.

A decency protocol is all that is needed.
    Dis right here....!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    He’s about my age. He went to a game last year with a USM friend. I was missing a game and offered. And that was his answer.

Either way, it is one of many issues. Baseball dealt with it, other sports should follow suit.

If they are watching ESPN+ and don’t hear all that, you’ve lost them as potential ticket buyers.

Family friendly sells.

Every game needs to be a Carnaval et Fêtem!!! écrevisse, gombo, cajun, alligator, huître, crevette, randonnée etc. Make it a party!!!

Also improve parking, tailgating, concessions etc. the stuff we known was a problem for years!! Really not that hard to figure out.

Got to get the community involved

I know if I was in charge I could get 10k more a game. Every Game !!

Proactive HA!! What a joke. We can’t even get a mascot !! Takes everyone and Facebook group and local newspapers, and tv stations and still they do not get off there hands and change it!!

We will call this student body and Greek organizations we will hear what they have to say and then we will do nothing !!!

Any real change will require real work!! I be surprise if they do all that !! Sorry I hate to be so negative but that is the way I see it !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Every game needs to be a Carnaval et Fêtem!!! écrevisse, gombo, cajun, alligator, huître, crevette, randonnée etc. Make it a party!!!

Also improve parking, tailgating, concessions etc. the stuff we known was a problem for years!! Really not that hard to figure out.

Got to get the community involved

I know if I was in charge I could get 10k more a game. Every Game !!

Proactive HA!! What a joke. We can’t even get a mascot !! Takes everyone and Facebook group and local newspapers, and tv stations and still they do not get off there hands and change it!!

We will call this student body and Greek organizations we will hear what they have to say and then we will do nothing !!!
    I only said proactive because it is May. If he had done this in the fall between game one and 2 after the stadium was empty I would have used reactive. Let’s see what comes of it.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information