Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Swept in loss to JMU

Default Re: Swept in loss to JMU

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    Why are we short on pitching? Did some guys not pan out? Did we not recruit well? Is it because we don't have a true pitching coach?

Obviously this is all opinion.
    I'm curious as to who is in the bullpen working with the pitchers as they warm up. My coaching experience peaked at the high school level and was 15+ years ago, but it seems like 1) pitchers are not mentally prepared to go into a game and 2) mechanics are not being given the attention they need (flying open, dragging arm, etc.). These are things that, if simply brought to attention early in the bullpen session, can be corrected. ST is in the dugout for games, you have limited mound visits for catchers to notice and correct. This is what separates pitchers from throwers.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I know Thib is split between coaching defense and pitching. Do we need to use one of the coaching spots afforded to teams totally to pitching? Is Thib the guy for that or does he focus primarily on coaching defense/fielding and someone else is brought in for complete attention to pitching?

3. Default Re: Swept in loss to JMU

What an absolute disaster this weekend was. Destroyed the season in multiple ways.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    What an absolute disaster this weekend was. Destroyed the season in multiple ways.
    My exact thoughts. And with the upcoming schedule, it’s not inconceivable to miss the conference tournament.

I really hate to think that the seasons that Hood and Brock are having, and careers they have both had here, could possibly end like that.

Hopefully something clicks. And VERY soon. There’s no zero explanation for what happened this weekend. I’m sure some of the pitch fork and battle axe wielders on here will jump in and say “I told you so!”. But what happened to the pitching staff this weekend was WAY worse than what has been shown all year.

I still think if Hammond had been allowed to close the game Friday that the entire weekend may have been quite different. But I guess we’ll never know.

I would also like to know why we were told that Theut was available this weekend and never made an appearance? If not during THAT crap show of a weekend…then when does he pitch??

And like you and I have both commented on for the better part of the season, why Conor Higgs has been rotting on the bench for 75% of the games to this point?

5. Default Re: Swept in loss to JMU

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    My exact thoughts. And with the upcoming schedule, it’s not inconceivable to miss the conference tournament.

I really hate to think that the seasons that Hood and Brock are having, and careers they have both had here, could possibly end like that.

Hopefully something clicks. And VERY soon. There’s no zero explanation for what happened this weekend. I’m sure some of the pitch fork and battle axe wielders on here will jump in and say “I told you so!”. But what happened to the pitching staff this weekend was WAY worse than what has been shown all year.

I still think if Hammond had been allowed to close the game Friday that the entire weekend may have been quite different. But I guess we’ll never know.

I would also like to know why we were told that Theut was available this weekend and never made an appearance? If not during THAT crap show of a weekend…then when does he pitch??

And like you and I have both commented on for the better part of the season, why Conor Higgs has been rotting on the bench for 75% of the games to this point?
    Deggs said in the media time today that Higgs “doesn’t compete hard enough” at times.

Deggs said in the media time today that Higgs “doesn’t compete hard enough” at times.
    Wow.

Good grief. The kid has 6 doubles, a triple, and 5 HRs in 49 ABs. How hard is he supposed to “compete”??

Good grief. The kid has 6 doubles, a triple, and 5 HRs in 49 ABs. How hard is he supposed to “compete”??
    Obviously it’s cause he expects the kid to hit double that cause the pitching ducks sick and Higgs is responsible for picking up the slack. Duh

Higgs is draft eligible

We stink

I just listened to the Deggs presser. Come on man. That’s not even close to what he said.

Here is his response to being asked about what’s changed with Conor Higgs…

“Confidence. The bright spot we have right now. What people don’t know is that, pound for pound, he’s probably the most talented guy we have. Projectable body, power, run tool, left handed, can really defend in the OF. The one thing he doesn’t do is throw. But that’s about it. He’s grown up with me. His dad is one of my best friends. Kids like a nephew to me. Some of his maturation process has been intentional. I haven’t wanted to rush him into stuff. And, you know, he hasn’t played aggressive enough at times. I think a button was pushed, a light bulb came on when he hit that game winner the other day, and he’s been a different kid ever since. I’ve always known that was in there. And that ball he hit the other day was just unreal”

That’s nowhere near “he doesn’t compete hard enough”

12. Default Re: Swept in loss to JMU

I just listened to the Deggs presser. Come on man. That’s not even close to what he said.

Here is his response to being asked about what’s changed with Conor Higgs…

“Confidence. The bright spot we have right now. What people don’t know is that, pound for pound, he’s probably the most talented guy we have. Projectable body, power, run tool, left handed, can really defend in the OF. The one thing he doesn’t do is throw. But that’s about it. He’s grown up with me. His dad is one of my best friends. Kids like a nephew to me. Some of his maturation process has been intentional. I haven’t wanted to rush him into stuff. And, you know, he hasn’t played aggressive enough at times. I think a button was pushed, a light bulb came on when he hit that game winner the other day, and he’s been a different kid ever since. I’ve always known that was in there. And that ball he hit the other day was just unreal”

That’s nowhere near “he doesn’t compete hard enough”
    Honest mistake. I thought he said “competitive enough.”

Still, that’s a hell of a thing to say.

Honest mistake. I thought he said “competitive enough.”

Still, that’s a hell of a thing to say.
    as many times as the team has looked completely uninspired, I'm not buying this (Deggs' explanation that is)

All those steal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    All those steal though.
    Thought about that for a bit. Came to the conclusion, it could be worse, even if we’ve run at times which made no sense. The good out weighs the bad, but doesn’t make up for flat “fastballs” and hanging curveballs.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information