Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst . 21 28 29 30 31

Thread: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

1. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

A reason I don't like AL (for short) is I think the focus should be Louisiana and eliminate any possible Alabama confusion.

That's why I like Louis & Ana

Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Maybe whoever came up with the three shirts idea can come up with a mascot…

3. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Maybe whoever came up with the three shirts idea can come up with a mascot…
    Yikes!

4. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

One step forward three steps back . . . If you want to see an Alligator back up, go with that plan . . .

5. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Maybe we can trade cayenne to the miami heat??

Burnie is the official mascot of the NBA's Miami Heat. He is a lovable, furry, red anthropomorphic fireball who is beloved by Heat fans around the world. (And he might match our hot wheels logo)

6. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    A reason I don't like AL (for short) is I think the focus should be Louisiana and eliminate any possible Alabama confusion.

That's why I like Louis & Ana
    I’ll continue to be open to Albineaux taking on a different name if/when he is adopted by the university.

I’ve seen Louise tossed around several times. Which I think is an ok name. It wouldn’t be the worse thing. My primary issue with it is in our mascot history, we generally go for a name that lacks creativity and depth, and solely rely on a callback to the nickname like people wouldn’t get it.

For example, let’s go back to our friend Mr. Cajun Man. His name wasn’t a name, it just another callback to something that was already established (Cajuns). By Mr. Cajun being just Mr. Cajun, he didn’t have much of a character or history to build on.

Another example is before Mr. Cajun, but after the university adopted Ragin Cajuns as the official nickname, my research shows we had a live bulldog named “RC.” That RC, I assume but I could be wrong, stood for Ragin Cajuns—making that name another, what I feel is, an unnecessary callback.

My main point is we can have a mascot name that has no connection to the words “Louisiana” or “Ragin Cajuns” and be fine if it is formed in something that goes deeper than face value.

“Louis” could be great if we gave Al that name because Louisiana was founded under King Louis XIV of France and Louisiana continues to have a strong connection to French.

However, having an “Ana,” I feel would be too much of an unnecessary callback name like we’ve had in the past.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

The male and female gator, Louis and Ana. What could possibly be better!??

Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by CouillonCinema View Post
    I’ll continue to be open to Albineaux taking on a different name if/when he is adopted by the university.

I’ve seen Louise tossed around several times. Which I think is an ok name. It wouldn’t be the worse thing. My primary issue with it is in our mascot history, we generally go for a name that lacks creativity and depth, and solely rely on a callback to the nickname like people wouldn’t get it.

For example, let’s go back to our friend Mr. Cajun Man. His name wasn’t a name, it just another callback to something that was already established (Cajuns). By Mr. Cajun being just Mr. Cajun, he didn’t have much of a character or history to build on.

Another example is before Mr. Cajun, but after the university adopted Ragin Cajuns as the official nickname, my research shows we had a live bulldog named “RC.” That RC, I assume but I could be wrong, stood for Ragin Cajuns—making that name another, what I feel is, an unnecessary callback.

My main point is we can have a mascot name that has no connection to the words “Louisiana” or “Ragin Cajuns” and be fine if it is formed in something that goes deeper than face value.

“Louis” could be great if we gave Al that name because Louisiana was founded under King Louis XIV of France and Louisiana continues to have a strong connection to French.

However, having an “Ana,” I feel would be too much of an unnecessary callback name like we’ve had in the past.
    Did you ever hear from any UL officials?

9. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

More proof they aren't the real swamp.a pool, come on man. didn't even hear anyone yell "choot 'em

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wft.outputType=amp

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst . 21 28 29 30 31

Thread Information