Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst . 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 . LastLast

Thread: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Louisiana Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

$16,000 for the flaming dildeaux

$3,500 for the flaming dildeaux revised edition

Those "mascot/spirit leader" back in '99-'06 were an embarrassment.

I know where we can go get an ol' dog for 20 bucks in Eunice.

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

I know where there is a multi-million dollar Alligator Habitat to house Louisiana's official mascot.

ps Actually a priceless alligator habitat, the envy of the world.

3. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    $16,000 for the flaming dildeaux

$3,500 for the flaming dildeaux revised edition
    Interesting, I had read $25,000

That must have included the font design and Hot Wheels design fees.

4. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by lafman1 View Post
    In prehistoric times, bison herds wandering through the area stopped in the shade of the cypress grove, pawing and stomping at the ground. Eventually a depression in the ground formed from the bison. The grove, called a trou de taureau in Cajun French, or “bull hole,” began to retain water and form a pond.

UL (est. 1898) grew up around the pond. Initially the university fenced it in to use as a pig pen and feeding area for its instructional farm. In the early 1920s, the pig pen was drained to return the 63 cypress trees into the newly named Cypress Grove. The university used the grove as an open-air theater for Shakespearean productions, music and dance programs. Commencement exercises were held beneath the cypress canopy in 1935 for the first time and several subsequent years when the weather permitted.

In the early 1940s, some agriculture faculty members proposed converting the grove back into a pond, because they were concerned a lack of water could harm the cypress trees. A pump was installed, the pond was refilled, and Cypress Grove became Cypress Lake.
    You left off the main description description that is listed before clicking the first of two alternate history stories.

"Cypress Lake is a 2-acre (0.8 ha) swamp-like lake in the heart of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette campus that started as a prehistoric bison wallow. Today it is a unique university landmark that is a habitat for native irises, alligators, turtles, birds and fish, as well as a hangout for students and a point of interest for tourists visiting Lafayette, Louisiana. Cypress Lake is casually called "The Swamp," which is also the nickname of the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns football stadium, officially named Cajun Field."

Everybody knows what you say "no one uses".

5. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

After viewing the hundreds of responses on social medium platforms, the alligator was an overwhelming failure for a mascot.
    I’ve made my point in regards to both ‘Swamps’.
    Tradition? SMH.
    I just want to push back against that thought, just in case anyone else is thinking it. Albineaux gets the most hate on pages known for being pessimistic, and sometimes cruel. If your perception of Al is only coming from the comments of KLFY and the Football Fans FB page, you’re going to get the wrong idea of how well he’s actually being received. You can look at the pictures for proof. The Fans of Ragin Cajun Football FB page got so negative and so personal at one point this season, the admins actually shut it down. Does anybody else remember that, because I do. That’s why I take everything with a grain of salt from certain sources.

I would say it’s quiet majority versus a loud minority kind of thing. But even that majority, is still pretty loud. That’s why Al keeps having articles written about him. It has nothing to do with me as a person, and everything to do with people like the concept. They really really like it, especially young people. That’s why we’re here. If nobody liked it, there wouldn’t be much to talk about. Another article about Al is in the works too.

And as much as I play down the opinions of the Fans of Ragin Cajun Football Page here, if you look at every Al post, I’m the one who posted it. It’s me that’s including them into the conversation, despite their constant negative outlook. I want them to be a part of this. When things start moving with Al, I don’t want them to be like “no one was talking to us.”

If you think Al isn’t doing well in the public’s eye, as the creator that sees all the reactions, I can humbly tell you that you’re wrong. That’s why I think it would be better to talk about making Al better rather than trying to shut down the idea completely. Is there a good amount of people that don’t like him too? For sure! Every mascot idea would have that hate. Think about hard it was for the saints to be the saints because of the religious ties. Sixty years later, the saints and Louisiana are inseparable. I think the same will be for the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns, and an albino alligator.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Interesting, I had read $25,000

That must have included the font design and Hot Wheels design fees.
    Yea that page from the 2002 L'Acadien (the attachment) is the most concrete detail I've come across on the lunacy paid to make that thing rep Louisiana.

I remember when the hot wheels was introduced back in the day too. Some people were like, alright I can go with that. Most were like who in the hell came up with that. I'm sure there are those involved amongst us on RP and thats cool, it was a great effort to update our "Espn Brand" (the logo of course next to our name). But, damn, that thing set us back. There was one positive though, the cheerleaders and jazz took a liking to it and got a tattoo of it, in lets call it their mid-regions. That is the sole positive to come from that era, regarding it.

I'm partial to the O.G. (Bulldog). It makes us achieve that concept of "full circle". The Crawfish is Very cool, but I think we need to go all out Bad Ass. I have some very cool old Bulldog imagery from back in the day (Think - NC State and what they put on their helmet / think Animal House era.)

The red Gator could work too. They live on campus, needs no help from anyone and don't even have names - I like it.

The Cajun Chicken is starting to grow on me b/c of the big time popularity it got at that Saturday night Cajuns Basketball game last season.

Throw in the frequently proposed Catahoula and we have two (2) dogs.

Cajun Man isnt near as appealing as any of ^those.

After this thread, I really don't care if we ever get a mascot. Y'all have me hating every idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    After this thread, I really don't care if we ever get a mascot. Y'all have me hating every idea.
    You know you favor the bulldog. Because if you are not the lead dog…….aw you know the rest. Yada yada bla bla.

Quote Originally Posted by CouillonCinema View Post
    I just want to push back against that thought, just in case anyone else is thinking it. Albineaux gets the most hate on pages known for being pessimistic, and sometimes cruel. If your perception of Al is only coming from the comments of KLFY and the Football Fans FB page, you’re going to get the wrong idea of how well he’s actually being received. You can look at the pictures for proof. The Fans of Ragin Cajun Football FB page got so negative and so personal at one point this season, the admins actually shut it down. Does anybody else remember that, because I do. That’s why I take everything with a grain of salt from certain sources.

I would say it’s quiet majority versus a loud minority kind of thing. But even that majority, is still pretty loud. That’s why Al keeps having articles written about him. It has nothing to do with me as a person, and everything to do with people like the concept. They really really like it, especially young people. That’s why we’re here. If nobody liked it, there wouldn’t be much to talk about. Another article about Al is in the works too.

And as much as I play down the opinions of the Fans of Ragin Cajun Football Page here, if you look at every Al post, I’m the one who posted it. It’s me that’s including them into the conversation, despite their constant negative outlook. I want them to be a part of this. When things start moving with Al, I don’t want them to be like “no one was talking to us.”

If you think Al isn’t doing well in the public’s eye, as the creator that sees all the reactions, I can humbly tell you that you’re wrong. That’s why I think it would be better to talk about making Al better rather than trying to shut down the idea completely. Is there a good amount of people that don’t like him too? For sure! Every mascot idea would have that hate. Think about hard it was for the saints to be the saints because of the religious ties. Sixty years later, the saints and Louisiana are inseparable. I think the same will be for the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns, and an albino alligator.
    The Saints were never a problem being the saints, with the exception of some of the ‘offended’ generation from a few years ago. The saints also weren’t inseparable. Benson threatened to move the saints before and after Katrina.
    The important question hasn’t been answered. What is the University’s opinion of an Albino mascot?

10. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

The important question hasn’t been answered. What is the University’s opinion of an Albino mascot?
    There will always be minor lingering questions, 21 years on RaginPagin has taught us that.

What has been answered is, The Swamp nickname is original to Louisiana.

The Swamp on Camus is a Swamp.

The Swamp nickname for where Louisiana plays football is known and used by many.

Alligators are more native to Louisiana's campus than humans.

And that you are the most profic opposer to Al on Facebook.

There will always be minor lingering questions, 21 years on RaginPagin has taught us that.

What has been answered is, The Swamp nickname is original to Louisiana.

The Swamp on Camus is a Swamp.

The Swamp nickname for where Louisiana plays football is known and used by many.

Alligators are more native to Louisiana's campus than humans.

And that you are the most profic opposer to Al on Facebook.
    Cypress Lake is swamp-like, in your highlighted post. It’s a lake, not a swamp. Maybe ‘the swamp’ is used in Abbeville, not in the big city. You should learn to count.

12. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Cypress Lake is swamp-like, in your highlighted post. It’s a lake, not a swamp. Maybe ‘the swamp’ is used in Abbeville, not in the big city. You should learn to count.
    I just posted the part you conviently avoided.

They put "swamp-like" because it has every characteristic of a swamp and for very good reason, it is a Swamp. A reclaimed Swamp.

The writer on wiki doesn't know the complete history. They pick up the story midstream.

Ponds and lakes have trees on the perimeter. Swamps have trees throughout.

I just posted the part you conviently avoided.

They put "swamp-like" because it has every characteristic of a swamp and for very good reason, it is a Swamp. A reclaimed Swamp.

The writer on wiki doesn't know the complete history. They pick up the story midstream.

Ponds and lakes have trees on the perimeter. Swamps have trees throughout.
    Scenario:

You have a grove of cypress trees on your pastureland in a low lying area. You fill the area in with water from a canal, without the water in the low lying area being able to drain away naturally. You maintain the level of water with the piped in water along with rainwater. You plant marine plants and an alligator finds its way into the water, along with turtles, etc.
    Is it a marsh or a lake?

14. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Scenario:

You have a grove of cypress trees on your pastureland in a low lying area. You fill the area in with water from a canal, without the water in the low lying area being able to drain away naturally. You maintain the level of water with the piped in water along with rainwater. You plant marine plants and an alligator finds its way into the water, along with turtles, etc.
    Is it a marsh or a lake?
    That is a scenario, but it isn't what happened at Louisiana.

We have a picture of a 1902 football game vs LSU, with the (fenced off) Swamp in the background including much younger Cypress trees. It was fenced off because they didn't know what to do with the property.

It was a dozen years later that it began to be used for pig farm run off.

Back then for some unknown reason swamp carried a negative connotation. That thought process permeated thinking till not so long ago. Some people still can't admit when something is a swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    I agree

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst . 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 . LastLast

Thread Information