Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst . 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 . LastLast

Thread: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

“Why can't albino alligators survive?
    This lack of pigment, though viewed as beautiful, has its downside. Most albino alligators rarely make it to adulthood because they are not able to camouflage themselves making them an easy target in the wild. Their skin is said to be extremely sensitive to sunlight in which too much sun will burn their skin.”

In the not-too-distant past, we showed a video, “The One and Only” that depicted Cajuns as a resilient group of survivors.

Again, on the surface, maybe a cool idea.

But, when you think it through, maybe not.

IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    You can’t possibly get any more hateable. I mean, you have to TRY to be this insufferable.
    I love it when a snowflake melts. Thanks for the great start to the weekend. How many Bud Light beers did you pound down last night to start this weekends binge?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Not sure why you insist on moving the target.

Neither I nor anyone else ever claimed "The Swamp" was used more than "Cajun Field" that is its official name, after all.

But and however, your claim was that "Nobody uses" The Swamp as a reference, and that simply is not true.
    Not sure why you continue to insist that the swamp is commonplace in conversations.

4. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by lafman1 View Post
    I love it when a snowflake melts. Thanks for the great start to the weekend. How many Bud Light beers did you pound down last night to start this weekends binge?
    Of course, trash like you have to go out of your way to invoke a culture war insult. Lol

5. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Uhhhh noooo. My point made was nobody calls Cajun Field ‘The Swamp’. Not even the university. Every press release that I’ve seen has Cajun Field as the location. Is there a sign there? Sure. Is the location called ‘The Swamp’ in everyday conversations? Uh no.
    Uh yeah, you need to get out more.

Not sure why you continue to insist that the swamp is commonplace in conversations.
    Its common enough that no fan will ever say what are you talking about?

You are imposing "commonplace" on me. Something i I did not say.

I simply reject your other blanket statement "nobody uses it." You are wrong.

Your pretending to reject The Swamp as a pretext to claim that Alligators don't fit in at Louisiana or that the Campus Swamp isn't legit is very revealing.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Of course, trash like you have to go out of your way to invoke a culture war insult. Lol
    Lol. Culture war? Only a snowflake like you would think it’s a war

Uh yeah, you need to get out more.

Its common enough that no fan will ever say what are you talking about?

You are imposing "commonplace" on me. Something i I did not say.

I simply reject your other blanket statement "nobody uses it." You are wrong.

Your pretending to reject The Swamp as a pretext to claim that Alligators don't fit in at Louisiana or that the Campus Swamp isn't legit is very revealing.

The ‘Swamp’ on the campus isn’t a swamp at all. It’s a man made Lake.

I think Budlights would be light weight for MAT. He is more of a heavy hitter.

9. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

The ‘Swamp’ on the campus isn’t a swamp at all. It’s a man made Lake.
    You are grabbing a snippet in time without context.

Louisiana's Campus Swamp really is a reclaimed Swamp that (pre-university) captured its own water from the surrounding area draining into it. The fact that a university grew up around it is undeniable.

The Swamp was artificially drained in the 1920s and reflooded in the 1940s. The pretext for reflooding the Swamp was the need for a water reservoir during WII. If that was all they needed they could have done this off campus with rice levees.

They flooded the Swamp in the middle of campus because it was a natural basin lower than the surrounding area because historically it had been a natural swamp, and the Cypress Trees were still there to prove it.

The Campus Swamp is a legitimate Swamp.

Anyone calling it a lake has always shown ignorance on the subject, because in the 1940s Swmp was still a four-letter word.

If using an alligator as the UL mascot, it would give a good marketing opportunity to use the UL swamp in promotional videos. It would easily be recognizable as a swamp and referred to as such, no matter what Lafman1 calls it. It would easily carryover to the Cajun field as the swamp. BTW, just a fond memory, I proposed to my wife of 37 years next to the UL swamp one evening. Just so happened 4 fellas was walking by and noticed and started singing a song in four parts. We still talk about that special evening.

Quote Originally Posted by irokcj5 View Post
    If using an alligator as the UL mascot, it would give a good marketing opportunity to use the UL swamp in promotional videos. It would easily be recognizable as a swamp and referred to as such, no matter what Lafman1 calls it. It would easily carryover to the Cajun field as the swamp. BTW, just a fond memory, I proposed to my wife of 37 years next to the UL swamp one evening. Just so happened 4 fellas was walking by and noticed and started singing a song in four parts. We still talk about that special evening.
    What song did they sing? Marie Laveaux? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    What song did they sing? Marie Laveaux? LOL
    And she went Weeee!!! Another man done gone.

13. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

That is too cool for school.

I love it.

Can’t tell you how many times but it seems as though every time our football team plays on one of the main channels they always show the swamp with the gators coming back from a commercial. Wouldn’t it make sense to cut to the alligator mascot after showing the real gators in our swamp? There should be no confusion about this.

You are grabbing a snippet in time without context.

Louisiana's Campus Swamp really is a reclaimed Swamp that (pre-university) captured its own water from the surrounding area draining into it. The fact that a university grew up around it is undeniable.

The Swamp was artificially drained in the 1920s and reflooded in the 1940s. The pretext for reflooding the Swamp was the need for a water reservoir during WII. If that was all they needed they could have done this off campus with rice levees.

They flooded the Swamp in the middle of campus because it was a natural basin lower than the surrounding area because historically it had been a natural swamp, and the Cypress Trees were still there to prove it.

The Campus Swamp is a legitimate Swamp.

Anyone calling it a lake has always shown ignorance on the subject, because in the 1940s Swmp was still a four-letter word.
    In prehistoric times, bison herds wandering through the area stopped in the shade of the cypress grove, pawing and stomping at the ground. Eventually a depression in the ground formed from the bison. The grove, called a trou de taureau in Cajun French, or “bull hole,” began to retain water and form a pond.

UL (est. 1898) grew up around the pond. Initially the university fenced it in to use as a pig pen and feeding area for its instructional farm. In the early 1920s, the pig pen was drained to return the 63 cypress trees into the newly named Cypress Grove. The university used the grove as an open-air theater for Shakespearean productions, music and dance programs. Commencement exercises were held beneath the cypress canopy in 1935 for the first time and several subsequent years when the weather permitted.

In the early 1940s, some agriculture faculty members proposed converting the grove back into a pond, because they were concerned a lack of water could harm the cypress trees. A pump was installed, the pond was refilled, and Cypress Grove became Cypress Lake.

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst . 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 . LastLast

Thread Information