Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 . LastLast

Thread: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

1. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

-I like the "AL Bineaux" name suggestion a lot. Brevity always works.

-The fact that he's "white" has nothing to do with race. We should really stop trying to make it about race. Cory has explained his way through this more than once.

-Even if you're on the fence about this, for the love of god, can we support something as a group for once? The nit picky criticisms of something that actually has historic roots, is unique, is from a passionate alumnus and is desperately needed to engage people are SO TIRED.

Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    -I like the "AL Bineaux" name suggestion a lot. Brevity always works.

-The fact that he's "white" has nothing to do with race. We should really stop trying to make it about race. Cory has explained his way through this more than once.

-Even if you're on the fence about this, for the love of god, can we support something as a group for once? The nit picky criticisms of something that actually has historic roots, is unique, is from a passionate alumnus and is desperately needed to engage people are SO TIRED.
    A couple of people in this thread seem to be comfortable with the alligator, but have some (a?) reservation(s) about the color, suggesting a natural color or even red.

Is the color (which in fact will be white but comes from the idea of an albino alligator) the hill you are willing to die on?

3. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    A couple of people in this thread seem to be comfortable with the alligator, but have some (a?) reservation(s) about the color, suggesting a natural color or even red.

Is the color (which in fact will be white but comes from the idea of an albino alligator) the hill you are willing to die on?
    The color is a key piece to the entire idea.

4. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Lots of moving pieces parts on this creation, but I'll have to get back with you I'm jammin to some music from the Edgar Winters Group.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Question for you, Cory: Have you had the opportunity to show kids Al? If so, interested in their reaction. My two kids (5 and almost 7) love Al. I think that's another important component in this whole thing.
    Actually, MAT,, I think it's the most important thing. Kids have to want to hug the mascot and parents will want to take pictures of their kids with it.

And, as soon as that happens, parents sign off on the mascot and it grows from there. Absolutely the #1 priority as far as I'm concerned.

My dream is to go into local toy stores and see stuffed (insert mascot here). My dream is for parents to rent out (mascot) to appear at their kids' birthday party.

We can make fun of it all we want, but Big Red at WKU has accomplished that and is downright beloved by everyone on the Hill. And, it's nothing but a red blob.

I applaud Corey. As I said, I don't know if the gator is the answer. But FINALLY there's discourse and a LOT of it about a spirit leader. I don't think the powers that be have any choice but to get moving on this.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Actually, MAT,, I think it's the most important thing. Kids have to want to hug the mascot and parents will want to take pictures of their kids with it.

And, as soon as that happens, parents sign off on the mascot and it grows from there. Absolutely the #1 priority as far as I'm concerned.

My dream is to go into local toy stores and see stuffed (insert mascot here). My dream is for parents to rent out (mascot) to appear at their kids' birthday party.

We can make fun of it all we want, but Big Red at WKU has accomplished that and is downright beloved by everyone on the Hill. And, it's nothing but a red blob.

I applaud Corey. As I said, I don't know if the gator is the answer. But FINALLY there's discourse and a LOT of it about a spirit leader. I don't think the powers that be have any choice but to get moving on this.
    Spot on Jay!

No to the honky gator with the contrived name.

Maybe a red gator or a green gator named ragin cajun…

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post

Yes.

If anything, it gets the conversation going. It's been a decade since Cayenne was retired.

9. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Look cool in some Bineaux Sunglasses

ps I think they pronounce it Be-neaux

Green would copy Florida’s mascot too much. White would get dirty after 3 appearances. I think natural color would be cool with vermillion eyes and red outfit/jersey. I see plenty of gators in the swamps and bays of south Louisiana, I’ve never seen a green one. I’d say black if any solid color or the darkest green you could get to black. Just my 2 cents. At this point they could put anything out there and it would be an upgrade from nothing.

Geaux Cajuns

11. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

This morning I was able to talk about Al on 103.7 The Game with Raymond Partsch. I really appreciate those guys taking the time to put Al on more airways!

I’m going to share a fun idea I had with you guys. I see quite a number of people suggesting ideas for mascots that are things we eat—a crawfish, a pepper, boudin, etc. Wouldn’t it be more fun to have a mascot that is know more for eating rather than being eaten. Imagine this:

We have so many bird mascots in our conference. Imagine Al holding up a sign saying “You’d look good over rice” to Gus the Eagle from Georgia Southern. Or Al doing a whole bit where he walks by the CCU chicken mascot with a normal size pot once, measures, and sees it’s not big enough. So throughout the game he just keeps coming back bigger and bigger pots until there’s one big enough for him. And now Al is trying to convince the Beach chicken to get into the pot. Or during a timeout an mc asks, “Al whatcha cookin today?” Al hands him a piece of paper. “Herd Rice and Gravy?? This looks good Al but where are you going to find a bison around here?” And then Al turns and faces Marshall’s bison mascot. Suddenly the mc is trying to hold back Al from chasing after the bison. The idea of every mascot visiting Cajun Field is under the threat of being turned into a Cajun dish by a hungry gator is hilarious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CouillonCinema View Post
    This morning I was able to talk about Al on 103.7 The Game with Raymond Partsch. I really appreciate those guys taking the time to put Al on more airways!

I’m going to share a fun idea I had with you guys. I see quite a number of people suggesting ideas for mascots that are things we eat—a crawfish, a pepper, boudin, etc. Wouldn’t it be more fun to have a mascot that is know more for eating rather than being eaten. Imagine this:

We have so many bird mascots in our conference. Imagine Al holding up a sign saying “You’d look good over rice” to Gus the Eagle from Georgia Southern. Or Al doing a whole bit where he walks by the CCU chicken mascot with a normal size pot once, measures, and sees it’s not big enough. So throughout the game he just keeps coming back bigger and bigger pots until there’s one big enough for him. And now Al is trying to convince the Beach chicken to get into the pot. Or during a timeout an mc asks, “Al whatcha cookin today?” Al hands him a piece of paper. “Herd Rice and Gravy?? This looks good Al but where are you going to find a bison around here?” And then Al turns and faces Marshall’s bison mascot. Suddenly the mc is trying to hold back Al from chasing after the bison. The idea of every mascot visiting Cajun Field is under the threat of being turned into a Cajun dish by a hungry gator is hilarious to me.
    Money.

13. Default Re: Grassroots Campaign for the Next UL Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by CouillonCinema View Post

Perfect. The CCU yardbird skit ideas would be endless.

I like your creativity. That would certainly be unique and unforgettable. On the design, the only thing I would suggest is to use the white pants or coveralls with red strips as that has been worn by fans. Keep at it buddy, thanks for getting the mascot idea moving again. I hope we can see Al Bineaux this season.

Money.
    But USL will come up with a limp link of boudin…

I’m all for the push, but it’s really difficult now since others have ideas. Hard to TM something.

Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 . LastLast

Thread Information