Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Contract extension for Bob Marlin

1. Default Re: Contract extension for Bob Marlin

Marlin has always been able to grab a single player or two and make them better. Much better. The Beard, Payton, Long, several others, this year's standouts. It's evident by players leaving and for the most part not doing better elsewhere.

Marlin has had two weaknesses in my opinion.

1) Even before the portal he had a problem keeping players, so I came up with the phrase "Never stop recruiting" years before the portal existed.

2) Even with each player getting better, Marlin has lacked in making them play better as a team, the well documented standing around complaint as an example.

Except for some reason about every 5 years he almost puts it all together. Almost.

Here's to a great team in 2028

Default Re: Contract extension for Bob Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Cajuns Head Coach Bob Marlin agrees to a multi-year contract extension - https://www.katc.com/sports/ul-sport...ract-extension
    I didn't see where this was posted here.
    If this has been posted already please delete or combine this thread.
    Good for him. I dont have the energy to give a ____ anymore!

Much like the football program, when you hire and RETAIN quality assistants, success can be the norm. I have no problem with Marlin's extension, as long as we are extending and/or increasing pay of the assistants at the same time.

4. Default Re: Contract extension for Bob Marlin

I'm happy with the rehire, are there any more legacy recruits in the pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I get the numbers, but seriously there are schools in that number that are not very serious about being one of SBC tournament teams.

How many teams in the SBC make the conference tournament?
    All 14. Seeds 11 to 14 play in first round. 2 winners play with seeds 5 to 10 in second round. Seeds 1 to 4 automatically in quarterfinals

Not a true legacy but we have offered Kam Williams (Greg Williams Jr’s brother). He just finished his junior season at LCA. He also has SEC schools interested.

7. Default Re: Contract extension for Bob Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    All 14. Seeds 11 to 14 play in first round. 2 winners play with seeds 5 to 10 in second round. Seeds 1 to 4 automatically in quarterfinals
    I forgot that fast.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babysitter View Post
    What's unfathomable is that these Einstein's in the athletic department feel that after 13 mediocre years that things will suddenly change based on this past season and they're willing to gamble on it with a "multi year" deal. This dude should not only be year to year but damn near day to day. It's a stale brand of basketball, it's run its course. Look no further than the attendance.
    I have no problem if they fired him last year but they didn't. You fire a coach who just made it to the NCAA here and no one in America will want this job. The coaching prospect would say, so I could make the tournament here and still get fired? No thanks keep your job.

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    100% agree. The team made it as far as it did IN SPITE OF -- not BECAUSE OF Marlin.
    Well another "multiple" years of mediocrity.... Go USL!!
    USL was pretty damn good in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Coaching candidates look at more than just the past year.

11. Default Re: Contract extension for Bob Marlin

Right?!

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    Coaching candidates look at more than just the past year.
    Do you really expect a young, talented coach to accept a job at mid-major who fires a coach after making the field of 64? Especially from a one bid league. Sure, there may be one or two, but you are threading a very small needle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Not a true legacy but we have offered Kam Williams (Greg Williams Jr’s brother). He just finished his junior season at LCA. He also has SEC schools interested.
    Totally expect him to go get paid and come back home at some point. NIL money is hard for an 18 yo to pass up.

I have no problem if they fired him last year but they didn't. You fire a coach who just made it to the NCAA here and no one in America will want this job. The coaching prospect would say, so I could make the tournament here and still get fired? No thanks keep your job.
    Once the tournament championship was obtained, retention was a given due to the clause he earned an extra year by doing so. Yes, the university could have moved on but they would have to pay him a full year salary.

Excellent post.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information