Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: SB G2 Final: Louisiana 4, App St. 0

1. Default Re: SB G2 Final: Louisiana 4, App St. 0

Quote Originally Posted by bbhstiger5 View Post
    If our players are so elite then why did we lose to App State? Does anyone actually think we’re going to the WCWS this year? If so, please explain why.
    Define "so elite" and where did you hear that term?

Default Re: SB G2 Final: Louisiana 4, App St. 0

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    Ok I can't comment on the SEC talent as it is not my post but may I ask what would be your answer to JMV's question which I feel it a legitimate question. Or will anyone else give their HONEST opinion to JMV's question about the state of the program.
    Sure. But, first let me assume that both you and bbhstiger believe the former coach was better in every category. That simply is not true. Here is the truth.

Hitting…Last year the Cajuns had the second highest team batting average in the nation. Only Oklahoma had a higher one. The former coach’s players hit more home runs. Glasco’s teams manufacture more runs. It’s two different ways to approach developing an offense.

Pitching. The former coach had fifteen years of pitchers. Glasco is in his sixth year. The former coach did not have a pitching coach. Most years he had one, sometimes two capable pitchers. Glasco now has a handful of pitchers that are capable.

Defense. I would say similar. The former coach’s team’s fielding percentage was always around .970.

Last year, the Cajuns’ fielding percentage was .964, so not much difference.

Base running. Not even close. I think the most bases the former coach’s team ever stole was 64. In 2019, Glasco’s team stole 169. That’s 105 more. Next question?

Crowd Support. About the same. Last week 120 fans went to Southern Miss.

Recruiting. Glasco, by a long way. The former coach only had a regional recruiting budget. Most players were either local, or from Texas. Glasco is nation-wide and has had players from other countries. Just because there’s a great player playing at a high school in Louisiana doesn't mean they can compete at the division one, college level. See Maci Bergeron from Notre Dame.

Game Management. That’s an easy one. Let me remind you of the Auburn regional in 2015. Bottom of the 7th, two outs, Louisiana 10, Auburn 5. After a walk, a single and two fly outs, (that’s two outs) Wallace walked the next 5 batters before the former coach replaced her in the circle with Hamilton who walked the next two batters to tie the score. That game management might be the worst game management in the history of college softball. Winning by five with one out remaining and the team loses. Next question?

Player Development
    Fielding. I did not attend practices when the former coach was in charge. I know people who did. More than one told me the former coach did not work much on fielding. Instead, he focused on hitting. So, I don’t believe he developed players defensively.

Hitting. The former coach developed hitting. But, there were some issues. Players had to adapt to his swing technique or else and it took a very long time to learn it. Sometimes two years or more. D. J. Sanders did not hit a home run her freshman year until midway through the season and she ended up hitting four that year. Her sophomore season she hit 18. So, it took a year to develop her power. Kelsey Vincent hit four home runs her freshman year and had the lowest batting average of any Ragin Cajun in the last 10 years at .135. Her sophomore year she hit seven, her junior year 18 and senior year 15. So, it took her two years to “get it”. In today’s softball world, there isn’t a lot of time for development. If a player can’t hit and does not see playing time, because of the transfer portal, many move on. It’s just different.

Pitching. The former coach did not develop pitchers. He abused them. Next time you see Ashley Brignac or Jordan Wallace, ask them how their arm and shoulder feel. If the former coach was not fired, Summer Ellyson would have never developed into the pitcher she became. She redshirted in 2016. In her freshman year in 2017, she only pitched 20 innings. The former coach was enamored with another freshman, Alyssa Denham as she pitched 129 innings, 109 more than Ellyson.

Assistant Coaching Staff. The former coach had a very, very good assistant in Chris Malveaux. He is now the hitting coach at Tennessee and is doing a fantastic job. That’s the best one I can think of. Glasco had Joe Guthrie who went on to become the head coach at UAB and is now an assistant coach at Texas A&M and in his first year is helping to turn that team around. Glasco also had, arguably, the best pitching coach in America in Mike Roberts.

If our players are so elite then why did we lose to App State? Does anyone actually think we’re going to the WCWS this year? If so, please explain why.
    Why did Kennesaw State beat Alabama? It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Very simply the game has changed because of the money that has flowed into softball programs. I don't think our program has tailed off as much as other programs have improved, so yes we do fall behind P5 programs more than in the past. How does Glasco battle this, by swinging for the fences. He has proven to be a top notch recruiter, but he also isn't afraid to take chances. Bringing on Justin Robichaux is a high risk, high reward move. If it works, he is doing something that fundamentally changes the game and gives the Cajuns an advantage that forces P5 programs to adjust.

The jury is still out on if it works, but being a risk taker is what is needed for the Cajuns in competing with the big spenders in all sports.
    How does bringing on Justin force P5 to adjust? Not sure where you are going with this?

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    Sure. But, first let me assume that both you and bbhstiger believe the former coach was better in every category. That simply is not true. Here is the truth.

Hitting…Last year the Cajuns had the second highest team batting average in the nation. Only Oklahoma had a higher one. The former coach’s players hit more home runs. Glasco’s teams manufacture more runs. It’s two different ways to approach developing an offense.

Pitching. The former coach had fifteen years of pitchers. Glasco is in his sixth year. The former coach did not have a pitching coach. Most years he had one, sometimes two capable pitchers. Glasco now has a handful of pitchers that are capable.

Defense. I would say similar. The former coach’s team’s fielding percentage was always around .970.

Base running. Not even close. I think the most bases the former coach’s team ever stole was 64. In 2019, Glasco’s team stole 169. That’s 105 more. Next question?

Recruiting. Glasco, by a long way. The former coach only had a regional recruiting budget. Most players were either local, or from Texas. Glasco is nation-wide and has had players from other countries. Just because there’s a great player playing at a high school in Louisiana doesn't mean they can compete at the division one, college level. See Maci Bergeron from Notre Dame.

Game Management. That’s an easy one. Let me remind you of the Auburn regional in 2015. Bottom of the 7th, two outs, Louisiana 10, Auburn 5. After a walk, a single and two fly outs, (that’s two outs) Wallace walked the next 5 batters before the former coach replaced her in the circle with Hamilton who walked the next two batters to tie the score. That game management might be the worst game management in the history of college softball. Winning by five with one out remaining and the team loses. Next question?

Player Development
    Fielding. I did not attend practices when the former coach was in charge. I know people who did. More than one told me the former coach did not work much on fielding. Instead, he focused on hitting. So, I don’t believe he developed players defensively.

Hitting. The former coach developed hitting. But, there were some issues. Players had to adapt to his swing technique or else and it took a very long time to learn it. Sometimes two years or more. D. J. Sanders did not hit a home run her freshman year until midway through the season and she ended up hitting four that year. Her sophomore season she hit 18. So, it took a year to develop her power. Kelsey Vincent hit four home runs her freshman year and had the lowest batting average of any Ragin Cajun in the last 10 years at .135. Her sophomore year she hit seven, her junior year 18 and senior year 15. So, it took her two years to “get it”. In today’s softball world, there isn’t a lot of time for development. If a player can’t hit and does not see playing time, because of the transfer portal, many move on. It’s just different.

Pitching. The former coach did not develop pitchers. He abused them. Next time you see Ashley Brignac or Jordan Wallace, ask them how their arm and shoulder feel. If the former coach was not fired, Summer Ellyson would have never developed into the pitcher she became. She redshirted in 2016. In her freshman year in 2017, she only pitched 20 innings. The former coach was enamored with another freshman, Alyssa Denham as she pitched 129 innings, 109 more than Ellyson.

Assistant Coaching Staff. The former coach had a very, very good assistant in Chris Malveaux. He is now the hitting coach at Tennessee and is doing a fantastic job. That’s the best one I can think of. Glasco had Joe Guthrie who went on to become the head coach at UAB and is now an assistant coach at Texas A&M and in his first year is helping to turn that team around. Glasco also had, arguably, the best pitching coach in America in Mike Roberts.
    I disagree on the crowd support. I think it is way better now, last year the grandstand sold out for the first time ever. The hitting appears to be worse than it is because of lack of timely hitting. I definitely agree that Glasco is a better coach. In the 2000's, not many large schools had much softball interest in their programs so making a super regional was not as difficult as it is now.

You just had to bring up that Auburn regional. Man that still stings.

6. Default Re: SB G2 Final: Louisiana 4, App St. 0

Player Development

Good points Rory. But when you say “capable” in terms of our pitchers - can you define that? Is the inability to find the strike zone or walking tons of batters what capable pitchers do? Maybe I’m ill-informed. Maybe the elite pitchers at OK State and UCLA also walk and hit as many batters as we do.

I am in no way saying the previous coaches were better - I despised them. I just feel like UL is due big time for a WCWS birth and possibly the school’s first natty. It’s frustrating to watch right now, so please don’t take my venting to heart.

7. Default Re: SB G2 Final: Louisiana 4, App St. 0

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    I disagree on the crowd support. I think it is way better now, last year the grandstand sold out for the first time ever. The hitting appears to be worse than it is because of lack of timely hitting. I definitely agree that Glasco is a better coach. In the 2000's, not many large schools had much softball interest in their programs so making a super regional was not as difficult as it is now.

You just had to bring up that Auburn regional. Man that still stings.
    Hopefully we can get some timely hitting when he locks in the lineup finally. Fingers crossed. We need bats if we’re gonna make any post-season noise.

Hopefully we can get some timely hitting when he locks in the lineup finally. Fingers crossed. We need bats if we’re gonna make any post-season noise.
    A steady lineup is needed to get kids comfortable and in a routine.

Good points Rory. But when you say “capable” in terms of our pitchers - can you define that? Is the inability to find the strike zone or walking tons of batters what capable pitchers do? Maybe I’m ill-informed. Maybe the elite pitchers at OK State and UCLA also walk and hit as many batters as we do.

I am in no way saying the previous coaches were better - I despised them. I just feel like UL is due big time for a WCWS birth and possibly the school’s first natty. It’s frustrating to watch right now, so please don’t take my venting to heart.
    Can you define elite and he can define capable.

There's no question that, at times, the pitching makes one want to scratch their head and try to figure out what is going on.

I can't explain why the pitchers have, at this point in the season, hit 34 batters, the same number as all of last year.

As far as for the walks, the 100th batter was walked in the last game. That's an average of three walks per game. May not seem like a lot, but it's many more than in previous years.

When I say capable, I mean capable of giving the team quality innings. Maybe not four or five, but one or two to come in at any point in a game and be effective.

11. Default Re: SB G2 Final: Louisiana 4, App St. 0

There's no question that, at times, the pitching makes one want to scratch their head and try to figure out what is going on.

I can't explain why the pitchers have, at this point in the season, hit 34 batters, the same number as all of last year.

As far as for the walks, the 100th batter was walked in the last game. That's an average of three walks per game. May not seem like a lot, but it's many more than in previous years.

When I say capable, I mean capable of giving the team quality innings. Maybe not four or five, but one or two to come in at any point in a game and be effective.
    Is Justin calling more inside pitches than last year?

12. Default Re: SB G2 Final: Louisiana 4, App St. 0

Come on man. Really? Anybody can lose a game to anybody on any given day. History is full of one game upsets. The Cajuns won the series. I would have bet the farm that Tennessee would have beat Bama in Game 2 this weekend with Bama pitching their No. 2/3 pitcher depending on who you talk to. But the young lady pitched her rear end off and Bama's lackluster offense actually found some mojo with their bats and gots some hits to back up their pitcher. Upset in game 2 of their series. Take Fouts out of the equation (though she is looking pretty pedestrian right now), the Cajuns talent level is currently very comparable to Alabama's imo for comparison purposes.

Player Development

I asked you the question and I respect your answers/opinions I don't think JMV was asking about one coach I feel he was asking about the program as a whole compared to Glasco. My opinion which means nothing to no one but me is that other than recruiting players we were the same or better. Developing players Glasco can't touch anyone that was a previous coach because no one ever recruited players that are supposedly at the level Glasco does. But we developed STARS that weren't just pitchers. But I do respect your perspective as you probably forgot more about softball than I will know in my lifetime. Thank you for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Define "so elite" and where did you hear that term?
    Was it Extra Innings that said we had a #1 recruiting class? Followed up by the #11 class (I think?)?

I think we can extrapolate #1 recruiting class into "elite".

Not judging the talent.

Just a little concerned about pitching, fielding, and some coaching decisions.

We are playing 90 percent underclassmen every game. Our talented Soph class are all going thru the Soph slumps that are real. Their confidence has taken a blow. It’s something that they will have to battle thru and they will.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information