Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst . 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: DH Game Thread vs USA

Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

BT had range for days and days. He threw out guys at 1B from shallow RF routinely. I haven't seen here before or since. He was the first and last Cajun, I believe, to play on Team USA collegiate team.

Debo might have a better bat, and defensively he makes the plays we expect him to make. He is not close defensively tho.

MAT bringing up Danny Massiate sparked my curiosity for a (offensive) comparison of him with Brock. Here it is…

Massiate (2 years as a starter)
    128 games
    447 ABs
    136 hits (.304)
    31 doubles
    6 triples
    16 HRs
    77 RBIs
    .393 OB%
    .508 SLG
    .901 OPS

Brock 1.5 years as a starter
    84 games
    278 ABs
    90 hits (.324)
    19 doubles
    0 triples
    14 HRs
    74 RBIs
    .405 OB%
    .525 SLG
    .930 OPS

3. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    MAT bringing up Danny Massiate sparked my curiosity for a (offensive) comparison of him with Brock. Here it is…

Massiate (2 years as a starter)
    128 games
    447 ABs
    136 hits (.304)
    31 doubles
    6 triples
    16 HRs
    77 RBIs
    .393 OB%
    .508 SLG
    .901 OPS

Brock 1.5 years as a starter
    84 games
    278 ABs
    90 hits (.324)
    19 doubles
    0 triples
    14 HRs
    74 RBIs
    .405 OB%
    .525 SLG
    .930 OPS
    Thanks for posting. Danny had a feel for the moment. Always seemed to be making big time plays in big time moments. I still say, there are 3 people responsible for my love of baseball. My grandfather, Ken Griffey Jr. and Danny Massiate.

There is zero doubt that Deggs will build an effective offense. Can he find those guys that can also be more than adequate on defense is still an outstanding question, IMO.

From a pitching perspective, we don't have the arms to overpower folks, which makes defense even more important. My main complaint with the staff is I just don't see enough guys that battle. We walk WAY too many batters, 17 in 27 innings this weekend alone, which demonstrates a staff of nibblers and not pitching to contact.

Just for some perspective (and some more stats), UL is currently tied for 1st in the SBC in fielding percentage.

And are 2nd in ERA by over a half a run per game. ODU is in first place nearly a full run ahead of the Cajuns.

Keep in mind that the SBC is currently the 5th best conference in the country.

It may not be as bad as some seem to think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    There is zero doubt that Deggs will build an effective offense. Can he find those guys that can also be more than adequate on defense is still an outstanding question, IMO.

From a pitching perspective, we don't have the arms to overpower folks, which makes defense even more important. My main complaint with the staff is I just don't see enough guys that battle. We walk WAY too many batters, 17 in 27 innings this weekend alone, which demonstrates a staff of nibblers and not pitching to contact.
    To be fair to the pitching staff, the walks problem was going away. It came back at the end of back to back 5 game weeks. I think we will perform much better against app this coming weekend on the mound.

7. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Quote Originally Posted by MWolf View Post
    To be fair to the pitching staff, the walks problem was going away. It came back at the end of back to back 5 game weeks. I think we will perform much better against app this coming weekend on the mound.
    A lot of that is directly related to the opponent.

30 before 15

9. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Just for some perspective (and some more stats), UL is currently tied for 1st in the SBC in fielding percentage.

And are 2nd in ERA by over a half a run per game. ODU is in first place nearly a full run ahead of the Cajuns.

Keep in mind that the SBC is currently the 5th best conference in the country.

It may not be as bad as some seem to think.
    Are those stats in conference play or overall rankings in the conference? That's a big difference. ERA doesn't reflect runs allowed, which is really the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Are those stats in conference play or overall rankings in the conference? That's a big difference. ERA doesn't reflect runs allowed, which is really the issue.
    Overall. And UL is 2nd in runs allowed. Again, by a wide margin

In conference only, UL is 5th in ERA and 4th in FLD%

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    30 before 15
    36 before 15. The new standard

Thanks for posting. Danny had a feel for the moment. Always seemed to be making big time plays in big time moments. I still say, there are 3 people responsible for my love of baseball. My grandfather, Ken Griffey Jr. and Danny Massiate.
    Danny teams also played stronger competition. And the bats are way better now.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    36 before 15. The new standard
    What is the standards in baseball? Some folks think each program at UL should have different standards.

A lot of that is directly related to the opponent.
    We can only play who’s on the schedule Mr. AboutTown. We’ll have opportunities against better competition later in the season. For now I’m glad we’re winning. 1st in the west. 2 games clear already. Let’s keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    What is the standards in baseball? Some folks think each program at UL should have different standards.
    SBC baseball has parity throughout the league. Softball does not. You can’t compare the two.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst . 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread Information