Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: DH Game Thread vs USA

Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Phew...Get on the bus and gtfo of Mobile. What a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I care. We have a lot of work to do to be considered a good ball club. That team was awful.
    Exactly.

I care. We have a lot of work to do to be considered a good ball club. That team was awful.
    Expecting 5-0 weeks will leave you frustrated all year.

And they were literally a couple of pitches from that happening.

Some things were learned this week. Some guys made an impression. Some may have gone the opposite way. That’s how things come together over the course of the season.

There’s A LOT to like about this team.

The depth and quality of position players is much better than 2021 and 2022. We need to find some Friday night type pitchers somewhere moving forward.

5. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Good series win. No matter how you slice it. This team battles. I never said our pitching was perfect, far from it in fact. But what I do like about this team is it’s our best offense since 2013-2016 and they have a lot of fight. We’ve been missing that for years. I’ll take the pitching staff as a work in progress. We’re 18-7 and 5-1 in conference. Be positive.

Must be getting proud. A 4-2 weekend from baseball and softball is actually kind of a disappointment.

Good weekend overall, really. Lost a couple we should not have but some stuff to learn from.

Baseball at 18-7 is nice. Not against the greatest of competition but we’re not trying to climb back into the standings from behind out the gate like we did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post

Some things were learned this week. Some guys made an impression. Some may have gone the opposite way. That’s how things come together over the course of the season.

And a lot to dislike. Pitching must improve.

8. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post

Whoa, I didn’t say I expected a 5-0 week. This is baseball. I make observations based on situation, opponent, and in game strategy.

All things considered, we should have been 5-0 this week. A good team doesn’t give up their milk money on Friday night. Sorry.

9. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    The depth and quality of position players is much better than 2021 and 2022. We need to find some Friday night type pitchers somewhere moving forward.
    Even in the 16-20 purgatory, we had a big gun on the staff. We lack that the last 2 years.

10. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

This is laughable. If you don’t think we are a “good ball club”, you’re out of your mind. We are hitting .300+ as a team and our pitching staff hasn’t even started clicking yet. I guess you’re expecting a 52-8 team like 2014 every year? Not gonna happen. This team has a ton going for them, the sky is the limit.

We are inconsistent on the mound. VARIOUS factors play into that. I think Deggs is realizing people like Taylor need to play more and rely less on the unproductive players. We play to our competition some times which is something a tough team does. I feel we will be ok.

12. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Quote Originally Posted by LA CAJUNS View Post
    This is laughable. If you don’t think we are a “good ball club”, you’re out of your mind. We are hitting .300+ as a team and our pitching staff hasn’t even started clicking yet. I guess you’re expecting a 52-8 team like 2014 every year? Not gonna happen. This team has a ton going for them, the sky is the limit.
    You caught me. I have no idea what I’m talking about. That 100+ SOS means nothing. 4+ team era and middle of the pack fielding percentage be damned!

*hard eye roll emoji*

1/3 of the way through observations.

We can clobber average and below average pitching. Max needs to sit as I have said and Taylor needs to play.

Defense is pretty good, not great, but good.

Pitching is average at best. We have seen some flashes but this pitching staff is frustrating as it comes. They still can’t throw strikes consistently this late into the season and that is concerning.

The coaching is head scratching at times but Deggs will do what he does with the offense. The management and coaching of the pitchers has been….pretty bad to say the least. I let off of Thib when I start seeing guys actually throw strikes and trust their stuff.

14. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

You caught me. I have no idea what I’m talking about. That 100+ SOS means nothing. 4+ team era and middle of the pack fielding percentage be damned!

*hard eye roll emoji*
    Yea you can tout early season meaningless SOS numbers all you want. What I’m referring to is the eye test and I’ve been following Cajuns Baseball for longer than you’ve been alive. This team is the best we’ve had in 7+ years in overall attack. Our pitching staff is talented, they will settle in. I’m just not a sky-falling guy. But whatever, you do you.

15. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStros View Post
    1/3 of the way through observations.

We can clobber average and below average pitching. Max needs to sit as I have said and Taylor needs to play.

Defense is pretty good, not great, but good.

Pitching is average at best. We have seen some flashes but this pitching staff is frustrating as it comes. They still can’t throw strikes consistently this late into the season and that is concerning.

The coaching is head scratching at times but Deggs will do what he does with the offense. The management and coaching of the pitchers has been….pretty bad to say the least. I let off of Thib when I start seeing guys actually throw strikes and trust their stuff.
    Agree mostly. What makes me most concerned is they built this staff with situational bullpen arms. We have no one we can ride. We have no alphas that will take over a game on the mound.

To this point, all things taken into consideration:
    Offense: B+
    Defense: C
    Pitching: D+

We are beating bad teams badly and barely competing with the best competition we’ve seen. Sorry to ruin some evenings, but that’s the truth. And before LA Cajuns comes back to tell me about baseball… Of course I don’t expect 2014. We’ll never see that team again. That was a shooting star team. I’ve been following this team since coach Bo and my uncle Jag ran this program in the late 80s. Do not even think about telling me what good baseball looks like.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information