Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst . 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: DH Game Thread vs USA

Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Quote Originally Posted by MWolf View Post
    SBC baseball has parity throughout the league. Softball does not. You can’t compare the two.
    Every sport has different levels of parody and different levels of financial support as well.

2. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    . I know Nelson is one of the most revered players in Cajun history. I loved watching the guy play. But what Heath Hood has done on the field since becoming a full time starter, well….

Nathan Nelson 2000 Omaha Season:
    271 ABs
    58 runs
    101 hits (.373)
    47 RBIs
    15 doubles
    2 triples
    7 HRs
    15 walks
    3 HBP
    33 SBs

Heath Hood since becoming a full time starter:
    266 ABs
    63 runs
    100 hits (.376)
    59 RBI
    20 2B
    7 3B
    6 HRs
    21 walks
    9 HBP
    38 SB

So tell me, you still gonna stick with “Never compare HH to NN”? I’d say those numbers are pretty darn similar. Nelson had another full season as a Cajun, and a good one, so his career numbers are better. But in the games Hood has played here, he’s been pretty much, as I said in my original post, “a Nathan Nelson clone”.
    Strong rock solid case being made here.

This magnifies Nelson's accomplishments, it does not take way from them.

Quote Originally Posted by MWolf View Post
    SBC baseball has parity throughout the league. Softball does not. You can’t compare the two.
    Is that why sunbelt softball is the #5 conference?

4. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Every sport has different levels of parody and different levels of financial support as well.
    Definitely different levels of parody, but I can tell you this if Degg's is successful (long term) every school in the Sunbelt will be copying his style.

One more stat to possibly help ease some folks’ minds.

Yes, the staff has walked too many guys this year. That said, it was exacerbated over this weekend due to playing 10 games in 12 days. Some guys were forced into action for that many games, while others, like Rawls in game 2, threw way more pitches in a week (111) than he had all year, and did so in a 4 day span. But he gritted it out and ate some much needed innings.

The 5 guys that have been on the mound the most this season, Hammond, Moody, Nezuh, Rawls, and Christie, have combined to throw nearly 60% of the innings so far. And that percentage would be higher without the aforementioned 10 games in 12 days stretch.

Those 5 guys are averaging less than 3 walks per 9 innings this year.

So the guys that are throwing the majority of your innings aren’t walking many guys at all. Not to mention that those walk averages have gotten better as the season has gone along.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Definitely different levels of parody, but I can tell you this if Degg's is successful (long term) every school in the Sunbelt will be copying his style.
    I don't think its a brand that’s easily copied, not today anyway.

My Louisiana grades thus far:
    Offense - A+
    Defense - B
    Pitching - C
    Managment - C+
    Overall - B

The defense leads the league in fielding percentage. Pitching is second in the league in ERA and batting average against.

Against the 3rd worst SOS…

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Against the 3rd worst SOS…
    A teams fielding percentage has nothing to do with their strength of schedule.

I’m sorry that the Cajuns are having a good season so far. It really seems to upset some of you.

When they lose, they are terrible. When they win, the opponent is terrible.

Are there any teams on the remaining schedule that, should the Cajuns beat, or win a series from that would be satisfactory?

I swear it seems like this team could go undefeated the rest of the way, host and win a regional and the response would be “well they were supposed to win at home”. Then go on the road and win a super and it would be “they should have lost but the other team played bad”

I always tell my wife, “there’s zero use in getting upset about what MIGHT happen”. There are plenty of things going on in the world to be concerned about. Whether or not the Cajuns record to this point is fools gold or not certainly shouldn’t be one of them.

Out of curiosity, which of the other Sun Belt teams do you think are really good, and that the Cajuns likely have no chance to beat with this awful pitching staff and terrible defense?

I’m sorry that the Cajuns are having a good season so far. It really seems to upset some of you.

Are there any teams on the remaining schedule that, should the Cajuns beat, or win a series from that would be satisfactory?

I swear it seems like this team could go undefeated the rest of the way, host and win a regional and the response would be “well they were supposed to win at home”. Then go on the road and win a super and it would be “they should have lost but the other team played bad”

I always tell my wife, “there’s zero use in getting upset about what MIGHT happen”. There are plenty of things going on in the world to be concerned about. Whether or not the Cajuns record to this point is fools gold or not certainly shouldn’t be one of them.

Out of curiosity, which of the other Sun Belt teams do you think are really good, and that the Cajuns likely have no chance to beat with this awful pitching staff and terrible defense?
    Lol that’s a really long emotional post to a simple statement of fact.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Lol that’s a really long emotional post to a simple statement of fact.
    Ha. Glad you saw some semblance of humor there. It’s difficult to convey via text.

And it wasn’t in response to one simple fact, as I’m sure you know.

On a serious note, who, on the schedule, do you think the Cajuns need to win a series against (and not sweep) for the doubters to give them some credit? Or with ODU and the Georgia teams not on the regular season schedule, is there not one?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Weird Al does parody.
    We're talking about parity here LOL

14. Default Re: DH Game Thread vs USA

Nobody said any of that. Some people can’t discuss the games without gatekeeping. We just played the two worst teams in the SBC. Forgive me for pointing out that we have work to do in order to be SBC Champs or be in the conversation for hosting a regional. Which btw, used to be how we judged teams around here.

Ha. Glad you saw some semblance of humor there. It’s difficult to convey via text.

And it wasn’t in response to one simple fact, as I’m sure you know.

On a serious note, who, on the schedule, do you think the Cajuns need to win a series against (and not sweep) for the doubters to give them some credit? Or with ODU and the Georgia teams not on the regular season schedule, is there not one?
    I'm not worried about who we are winning or losing against. I'm worried about a team that constantly strands runners with less than two outs, walks opponents with a lead, and doesn't have a shut down Friday night guy. We are playing well enough to win against the schedule we've played. Friday night against USA is how you get bounced in the conference tournament and subsequently bounced off the bubble for an at large.

All that being said, we have a talented roster that has the potential to be really really good. We have a lot of sloppiness to clean up if we want to make noise in the postseason. We are fully capable. I'll be what you call a "doubter" until we clean things up.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst . 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread Information