Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

Louisiana Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

We've seen people correcting recruits on the name. These players (teenagers) are tweeting out interest, visits and commitments using the names most of us don't like.

What is the correct way to handle this?

Ragin Review's official stance: Get them into the fold and educate them on the name once they're enrolled. It's a bad look to correct prospectus recruits publicly on a name battle that they're unfamiliar with.

Default Re: Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

I contend UL sends these kids academic info too, that's where the "mistake' happens...What they're reading is what they're saying...unless they come in for a visit, then there is no mistaking it's Louisiana...

Quote Originally Posted by RaginReview View Post
    We've seen people correcting recruits on the name. These players (teenagers) are tweeting out interest, visits and commitments using the names most of us don't like.

What is the correct way to handle this?

Ragin Review's official stance: Get them into the fold and educate them on the name once they're enrolled. It's a bad look to correct prospectus recruits publicly on a name battle that they're unfamiliar with.
    JMV stance: Have the coaches and whoever is showing them around campus during the tour train the potential student athlete that we are the University of Louisiana...UL...This needs to happen before they are enrolled.

4. Default Re: Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    JMV stance: Have the coaches and whoever is showing them around campus during the tour train the potential student athlete that we are the University of Louisiana...UL
    I agree with that, but that's not the question. The question is, is it helpful or harmful to correct them publicly on social media?

JMV stance: Have the coaches and whoever is showing them around campus during the tour train the potential student athlete that we are the University of Louisiana...UL
    That would be great. Now if only we could keep our fans from correcting the kids on a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    That would be great. Now if only we could keep our fans from correcting the kids on a public forum.
    If you get the coaches and tour folks on board then there is no needed to correct anyone. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I agree with that, but that's not the question. The question is, is it helpful or harmful to correct them publicly on social media?
    It will not influence a kid to not come to UL because someone says UL not ULL. No harm just a friendly reminder. Or maybe this: Thanks for showing interest in UL, hopefully you join the program and if you do remember we are UL.

I would hope the Orientation people would be on top of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    I would hope the Orientation people would be on top of this.
    They are not and that is the issue.

10. Default Re: Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

I don't think it is helpful to "correct" however kids are sponges and their misuse is probably the repeating of something they heard.

Since they are "sponges" (fact) I would in the course of dialog use the correct name as often as applicable.

Personally, when I mention any out of state school coming to play the Cajuns, instead of saying the town (a normal reference) I say "Coming to Louisiana" "When you get to Louisiana" "There are a lots of things to do at Louisiana"etc etc.

Let Louisiana replace Lafayette.

Don't correct them, steer them.

11. Default Re: Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

It will not influence a kid to not come to UL because someone says UL not ULL. No harm just a friendly reminder. Or maybe this: Thanks for showing interest in UL, hopefully you join the program and if you do remember we are UL.
    Technically, that would be a recruiting violation, IIRC. We can’t influence or encourage them to join the program via social media until they have committed.

12. Default Re: Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I don't think it is helpful to "correct" however kids are sponges and their misuse is probably the repeating of something they heard.

Since they are "sponges" (fact) I would in the course of dialog use the correct name as often as applicable.

Personally, when I mention any out of state school coming to play the Cajuns, instead of saying the town (a normal reference) I say "Coming to Louisiana" "When you get to Louisiana" "There are a lots of things to do at Louisiana"etc etc.

Let Louisiana replace Lafayette.

Don't correct them, steer them.
    We're still tip toeing here. Should fans be correcting recruits on social media about the name thing?

If your stance is "the orientation people should be on top of this," that's a separate issue. Fans bothered enough to comment should target their efforts to the coaching staff, right?

If your stance is "steering" the conversation, that indicates you're against public correction, no?

Seems that no one is in favor of it yet. And that's what I'm interested in finding out. What help is it to correct publicly?

I think people need to stop interacting with recruits on social media beyond just liking the post lol. My social media feeds are finally Florida-less after a lot of manicuring, but the number of grown men (Florida fans) commenting on 17/18 year olds' social media posts. Ugh

14. Default Re: Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I think people need to stop interacting with recruits on social media beyond just liking the post lol. My social media feeds are finally Florida-less after a lot of manicuring, but the number of grown men (Florida fans) commenting on 17/18 year olds' social media posts. Ugh
    The best policy right here. On the RR account, when recruits "show love," we more often than not 'like' the message. Just to show that fans are paying attention to their interest. And when they commit to UL, we'll welcome them with a "Welcome to #cULture" or something similar. Outside of that, there really is no benefit to interacting with them.

Also the part about it just being kinda weird for 30/40/50 year old dudes to be messaging teenagers.

15. Default Re: Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

We're still tip toeing here. Should fans be correcting recruits on social media about the name thing?

If your stance is "the orientation people should be on top of this," that's a separate issue. Fans bothered enough to comment should target their efforts to the coaching staff, right?

If your stance is "steering" the conversation, that indicates you're against public correction, no?

Seems that no one is in favor of it yet. And that's what I'm interested in finding out. What help is it to correct publicly?
    "I don't think it is helpful to "correct""

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information