Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Thread: Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

Default Re: Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Who’s going to stop us? NOBODY in this state, or even America uses their full name at every possible opportunity. And that’s the answer, YES we can.

Just generically speak Louisiana and UL. Don’t go creepy on some kid who will learn the cULture once here.
    I don't think we can use the name legally

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    Agree, but why care? NOBODY else attempts to use their full name 100% of the time. Somebody going to run for office based on a single university’s name? And a “law” with no consequences for violation?

Let it ride, get the mishmash messaging straight on campus and let it generically happen as it has been.

F’em.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    This is my stance on this subject. I don’t mind being known as UL-Lafayettte academically, there are plenty of schools that use it as a signature, like Berkeley. In case y’all didn’t know Berkeley is California athletically.

I am fine with UL-L moniker academically, just sports needs to shine and will be known as Louisiana as a whole .
    I'd personally rather The University of Louisiana at Lafayette for academic purposes if this "law" applies.

What's ironic is that most of the people in academia, especially the LSU board of higher ed, distinguishes the school in BR as "the A&M college." If only their fans knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Texas doesn't have a bunch of LSU grades in the legislature who retrospectively made laws after the name change in 83. They made some very petty laws governing the name thing for that exact reason. Apparently if we call our self UL or The University of Louisiana, LSU will lose it's flagship status. Very insecure bunch over in BR.
    But, we are not calling ourselves the University of Louisiana to which the law applies. Only use Louisiana like we do athletically. The same applies to UL, which is why we should only use "L". Academically, we are above all other schools in the UL System and equal to LSU with our Carnegie rating. What can they say or do with our use of Louisiana academically after we have been using it athletically all these years? It's been 40 years since the 1983 law. I'll bet most of the lawmakers from back then have either died or no longer in the legislature. Time to make this move. What are they going to do, shut us down. Use of Louisiana is not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Agree, but why care? NOBODY else attempts to use their full name 100% of the time. Somebody going to run for office based on a single university’s name? And a “law” with no consequences for violation?

Let it ride, get the mishmash messaging straight on campus and let it generically happen as it has been.

F’em.
    What do the lawyers on this site think?

I know of three on this site.

6. Default Re: Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    "Louisiana" is 100% legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    "Louisiana" is 100% legal.
    Check out this job posting for Football. This is a great way to use the name.

Director of Player Personnel for Football
    University of Louisiana
    Lafayette, LA

Acadiana Advocate: Why was Vermilionville renamed Lafayette?

Now, only one question lingers: Why did the residents of Vermilionville wait 30 years before they pounced on the Lafayette name?

"I don't know the answer to that," Martin said. "But they were persistent. This is something they always wanted, and they finally changed it."
    Still persistent. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Texas doesn't have a bunch of LSU grades in the legislature who retrospectively made laws after the name change in 83. They made some very petty laws governing the name thing for that exact reason. Apparently if we call our self UL or The University of Louisiana, LSU will lose it's flagship status. Very insecure bunch over in BR.
    LSU doesn't dominate the legislature as it once did. But for purposes of Athletics, I always use Louisiana and occasionally UL.

On the subject matter, I tend to wait until after an athlete signs before pushing the branding name Louisiana or UL. Using social media to correct athletes visiting campus, or receiving offers is a bad look and unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Check out this job posting for Football. This is a great way to use the name.

Director of Player Personnel for Football
    University of Louisiana
    Lafayette, LA
    So, why is this reference acceptable athletically but not academically? Just do it.

Along getting “Louisiana” right, am I noticing more and more our uniforms across the board are using Ragin’ Cajuns or the FDL logo (must admit looks sharp on the T&F unis) and not so much “Louisiana” this year?

12. Default Re: Alright, let's have the talk: Correcting Recruits on the Name

I used to be in the automobile graphics industry.

There is a difference between looking good and leaving an identity.

Louisiana doesn’t have a big enough budget to ever gain anything tangible from pushing the FDL.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Thread Information