Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Themus The PG / Transfer Portal

Default Re: Themus The PG / Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    I will share a good example. I'll try and keep this short. I'm a master jeweler. Been in this business for 29 years come June of this year. I've been the bench jeweler for a local Lafayette jewelry store for the last 4 years. 2 weeks ago, I signed paperwork to purchase another jewelery business. I went in to inform the owner of this and that I would be leaving. She was sad and asked if there was anything she could do to get me to stay. There wasn't, of course, because this was a huge opportunity for me. Keep in mind, I would now be in direct competition with them. She didn't get mad or upset. She looked across the desk, thanked me for all I had done for them and said, " you know what James? At the end of the day, I always ask God to bless me with the best opportunities, so how can I get upset for God blessing you with one?"
    Nobody is mad that the kid wants to better himself. The question that I have asked is would you take him back if no better opportunity came his way? In other words would you be ok for UL to be plan B even after he has basically quit them.

2. Default Re: Themus The PG / Transfer Portal

I will share a good example. I'll try and keep this short. I'm a master jeweler. Been in this business for 29 years come June of this year. I've been the bench jeweler for a local Lafayette jewelry store for the last 4 years. 2 weeks ago, I signed paperwork to purchase another jewelery business. I went in to inform the owner of this and that I would be leaving. She was sad and asked if there was anything she could do to get me to stay. There wasn't, of course, because this was a huge opportunity for me. Keep in mind, I would now be in direct competition with them. She didn't get mad or upset. She looked across the desk, thanked me for all I had done for them and said, " you know what James? At the end of the day, I always ask God to bless me with the best opportunities, so how can I get upset for God blessing you with one?"
    Congrats on the new opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    Nobody is mad that the kid wants to better himself. The question that I have asked is would you take him back if no better opportunity came his way? In other words would you be ok for UL to be plan B even after he has basically quit them.
    Professionally, I’m not saving a spot and waiting. If there is an opening and they are the best option, yes, I’m taking them back. I’ve done it multiple times. I’ve also had to tell people that I don’t have an opening after they’ve left. Honestly, the decision maker is doing us a disservice if the best option is turned down because “they quit on us”.

Would you take back a player that has entered the portal and changed their mind? Yes or No?

If you owned a business and one of your workers gave a notice to quit and then a day before their last day they told you they decided to stay would you keep them? Yes or no?

No explanation is needed just a yes or no to both questions.
    Depends on the person and the situation. There have been people at my company that have given their two weeks who we would absolutely take back. There have also been a few that have given their two weeks and we told them it was not needed and they were free to leave immediately. We have also had people who have up and quit with no notice. Every situation is different.

It depends on the kid in question. Some kids you may not want back. Some kids, you might be glad theyre leaving. If its Fulks? Yes. Absolutely. I would take him back.

That’s great!

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Not sure why it’s hard for grown men to understand and accept what is happening. I would say it’s surprising but it’s not with a few of the posters on here. When someone is good at their job, people take notice. Other opportunities present themselves. People take job interviews all the time while employed. This is no different. The game has changed.
    Yup. You are so correct.

The majority of this board are past 40.

Shipley, Paschal, Robe, Hall, Yvette and even Napier isn’t walking thru the door. Those days are gone.

MBB OVERALL (attendance and product) has been on a downward trend since the dome opened. Coincides with the growth of ESPN.

The big boys of college sports have been finding ways to consolidate their power for decades. RPI, NET, and staying home for OOC in multiple sports are just part of the methods.

The acceptance of the phrases G-5 and mid major reflects acceptance of “knowing your place”.

Throw in the NCAA screwing the pooch with Ed O’Bannon instead of resolving the situation is now a spineless blob, allowing basically all sports to become a minor league system, with collectives driving the bus.

Throw in the “appearance” UL tapped out this sports year with FB day game (crowds shrink), free women’s sports (didn’t move the needle), stumbling RCAF, inability to get a serious NIL group going, stadium misfire and even hiring Dez on the cheap (look who are his peers salary wise), our front porch is broken.

Can’t blame anyone for chasing dreams and getting paid.

Yes indeed, times have changed.

Congrats James!

Congratulations James. God is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Congrats on the new opportunity.
    Thanks guys!

Scholarships are year to year, he played the season, he didn’t quit anything. His spot and scholarship are not guaranteed, if we found better talent to replace him he would be told to get lost and nobody would say a word.

Do RP guys get discounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Depends on the person and the situation. There have been people at my company that have given their two weeks who we would absolutely take back. There have also been a few that have given their two weeks and we told them it was not needed and they were free to leave immediately. We have also had people who have up and quit with no notice. Every situation is different.
    Thank you sir for an honest answer.

It depends on the kid in question. Some kids you may not want back. Some kids, you might be glad theyre leaving. If its Fulks? Yes. Absolutely. I would take him back.
    Thanks for the honest answer.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Scholarships are year to year, he played the season, he didn’t quit anything. His spot and scholarship are not guaranteed, if we found better talent to replace him he would be told to get lost and nobody would say a word.
    You still can't answer the questions. Sir we can agree to disagree at this point.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information