Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: BB Final: Louisiana 13, Grambling 1

1. Default Re: BB Final: Louisiana 13, Grambling 1

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    I have been a Cooper Rawls fanboy since day one and think he got a raw deal not starting the last game of the regional last year. So him doing what he is doing is no surprise to me.
    I think the fact that he is 4-0 with a 1.15 ERA is the shocker, but the fact that he is doing good does not surprise me, what he did vs Tech last year was nothing short of spectacular.

Default Re: BB Final: Louisiana 13, Grambling 1

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Here's one of the things I really like about Deggs. We see things as they are. He sees things the way they can be.

Nezuh got hammered in a few starts. Yet he kept him in the weekend rotation because he saw what his issue was and who he could be. Now he's the National Pitcher of the Week.

He said before the season to watch Cooper Rawls. Now, I don't know too many people who thought Rawls would have a 4-0 record and a 1.15 ERA.

He thinks McGehee is going to be really, really good. Hopefully he'll get healthy.

Sam's issue last night was limited to the first two batters. After that, Deggs paid him a visit and he settled down. I do agree he needs to cut down on free baserunners. But boy, he has really good stuff.
    Yeah it’s easy to see what Hill’s potential is. He just needs to harness some things. He had some BAD misses last night. I think his ceiling is really high.

I really wish McGehee would get healthy. He’s another that anyone with a baseball eye can see, has a high ceiling as well.

Credit to Deggs for sticking with Nezuh. I have to admit I didn’t see that coming. His command issues were really bad early. And, at least to me, his fastball looks pretty straight. So he has to be precise with location. The breaking stuff is really good. I didn’t see Sundays start coming at all. Hopefully that was a big step in consistency and being able to locate much better going forward. It was impressive as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I think the fact that he is 4-0 with a 1.15 ERA is the shocker, but the fact that he is doing good does not surprise me, what he did vs Tech last year was nothing short of spectacular.
    It’s no shocker to me. What’s shocking is that chipper menard got innings over Rawls last season. My memory isn’t the greatest so maybe I’m missing him dealing with an injury or something.

4. Default Re: BB Final: Louisiana 13, Grambling 1

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Here's one of the things I really like about Deggs. We see things as they are. He sees things the way they can be.

Nezuh got hammered in a few starts. Yet he kept him in the weekend rotation because he saw what his issue was and who he could be. Now he's the National Pitcher of the Week.

He said before the season to watch Cooper Rawls. Now, I don't know too many people who thought Rawls would have a 4-0 record and a 1.15 ERA.

He thinks McGehee is going to be really, really good. Hopefully he'll get healthy.

Sam's issue last night was limited to the first two batters. After that, Deggs paid him a visit and he settled down. I do agree he needs to cut down on free baserunners. But boy, he has really good stuff.
    Nezuh came from FSU and pitched in the Cape. Mechanics were solid early, stuff was fine but he had way too many self-inflicted wounds. Left the ball up a lot. I don't think many people were surprised he continued to get chances.

If you don't know too many people that expected Caper to be a go to guy this season, you need to hang around different people. Rawls was underutilized last year and showed everyone what he was made out of up in Ruston, when he shut down one of the best hitting lineups that we faced last year. Being 4-0 is a little bit of an anomaly. I think 3 of those wins were in relief, maybe all 4. So maybe you have a point there. And 1.15 ERA is disgusting. But I'm certainly not surprised that he has been successful for this team.

McGehee looks to be ok, but these injuries have now plagued him at two stops. Starting to be a pattern. Availability is the number 1 quality. I know they're enamored with his spin rate (like Chipper, who he also thought would be very good, btw) but he certainly didn't stand above the rest in the fall or spring practice. By comparison, it was easy to see that Moody had great stuff, pitchablity and resolve. I came away thinking he was the most impressive pitcher I saw before the season started, not named Jake Hammond.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Nezuh came from FSU and pitched in the Cape. Mechanics were solid early, stuff was fine but he had way too many self-inflicted wounds. Left the ball up a lot. I don't think many people were surprised he continued to get chances.

If you don't know too many people that expected Caper to be a go to guy this season, you need to hang around different people. Rawls was underutilized last year and showed everyone what he was made out of up in Ruston, when he shut down one of the best hitting lineups that we faced last year. Being 4-0 is a little bit of an anomaly. I think 3 of those wins were in relief, maybe all 4. So maybe you have a point there. And 1.15 ERA is disgusting. But I'm certainly not surprised that he has been successful for this team.

McGehee looks to be ok, but these injuries have now plagued him at two stops. Starting to be a pattern. Availability is the number 1 quality. I know they're enamored with his spin rate (like Chipper, who he also thought would be very good, btw) but he certainly didn't stand above the rest in the fall or spring practice. By comparison, it was easy to see that Moody had great stuff, pitchablity and resolve. I came away thinking he was the most impressive pitcher I saw before the season started, not named Jake Hammond.
    Well ill go this route with you. I never saw Hammonds to have the stuff it takes to be a friday night starter. Lets be honest, of all the guys being talked about in this thread, his “stuff” might be the least impressive of them all. Kinda always saw him as a reliever. But, what u cant measure on paper is compete and grit. And thats what he has. Ive been impressed so far. But the real challenges for a friday night guy is in the next few conference starts. Its gonna get tougher and its gonna get tougher pretty quick. im curious to see it unfold.

6. Default Re: BB Final: Louisiana 13, Grambling 1

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Well ill go this route with you. I never saw Hammonds to have the stuff it takes to be a friday night starter. Lets be honest, of all the guys being talked about in this thread, his “stuff” might be the least impressive of them all. Kinda always saw him as a reliever. But, what u cant measure on paper is compete and grit. And thats what he has. Ive been impressed so far. But the real challenges for a friday night guy is in the next few conference starts. Its gonna get tougher and its gonna get tougher pretty quick. im curious to see it unfold.
    I agree with this 95%. I don't think he has top 3 'stuff' on this staff. But yes, the kid has 'it.'
    But I'll say, his second and third pitches improved a lot from the end of last year to today. When he locates the fastball, he can get anyone out.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I agree with this 95%. I don't think he has top 3 'stuff' on this staff. But yes, the kid has 'it.'
    But I'll say, his second and third pitches improved a lot from the end of last year to today. When he locates the fastball, he can get anyone out.
    I'll go back to my comment before the season. When Preach got up and used the term "throwdown" I knew he'd have what it took. That's the stuff you can't measure.

You're right about Nezuh. His issue is, when the fastball gets up, it's flat. When he keeps it down, it moves. As we all know, good pitchers pitch off their fast ball.

8. Default Re: BB Final: Louisiana 13, Grambling 1

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    WOW!

Sorry I missed him.
    …….shared some great memories!

9. Default Re: BB Final: Louisiana 13, Grambling 1

I was just doing some research on what underclassmen we lost last year and who we added just to see how they compare.

So last year if my memory is correct, the underclassmen that left us were:

Jack Clark
    Drew Shifflet
    Bryce Calloway
    Hayden Durke
    Bobby Lada
    Warner Rincones
    Chipper Menard
    Peyton Havard

Of these, I know that Chipper is at ULM and is 2-2 with a 5.78 ERA, Hayden Durke is at Rice, but not playing because of a suspected failed drug test, Peyton Havard announced he was transferring to Lamar, but is not on the roster, Bobby Lada was supposed to be at Southern but is not on the roster and I thought I remember Bryce Calloway going to Southern as well, but I don't see him on the roster either. The other guys mentioned I don't see anywhere in college baseball.

Here is what we got instead:

Landry Wilkerson-in limited duty as a 2 way player is batting .250.
    John Taylor is batting .273 but is a stud on defense at 2B
    Ben Robichaux is batting .471 and has solidified himself as the leadoff hitter on this team
    Lee Amedee is hitting .267 in limited action
    Luke Yuhasz is hitting .263 in limited action
    Caleb Stelly is hitting .207 in limited action
    Clay Wargo is hitting .200 in limited action
    Peyton LeJenue is hitting .167 in limited action

On the mound:

Brendon Moody is a starter with a 3.38 ERA
    Jackson Nezuh is a starter with an 8.39 ERA but looking better and better each week
    Blake McGehee has a 0.00 ERA in limited action, needs to control his strike zone
    Conner Doucet got his first action last night
    Carson Fluno has a 2.92 ERA
    Taylor Parrett has a 6.00 ERA
    Jerry Couch has a 6.23 ERA
    Sam Hill could be a potential starter with a 6.48 ERA
    Steven Cash, JT Etheridge and Ben Tate have all contributed.

I know I left out some very good upper classmen that left last year, but I think overall the new group is light years better than the group that chose or was asked not to come back.

I like the way this team is built, its not perfect and I still don't think it is where Deggs wants it to be, but it is really close to being there.

I was just doing some research on what underclassmen we lost last year and who we added just to see how they compare.

Jack Clark
    Drew Shifflet
    Bryce Calloway
    Hayden Durke
    Bobby Lada
    Warner Rincones
    Chipper Menard
    Peyton Havard

Of these, I know that Chipper is at ULM and is 2-2 with a 5.78 ERA, Hayden Durke is at Rice, but not playing because of a suspected failed drug test, Peyton Havard announced he was transferring to Lamar, but is not on the roster, Bobby Lada was supposed to be at Southern but is not on the roster and I thought I remember Bryce Calloway going to Southern as well, but I don't see him on the roster either. The other guys mentioned I don't see anywhere in college baseball.

Ben Robichaux is batting .471 and has solidified himself as the leadoff hitter on this team

On the mound:

Jackson Nezuh is a starter with an 8.39 ERA but looking better and better each week
    Blake McGehee has a 0.00 ERA in limited action, needs to control his strike zone

I know I left out some very good upper classmen that left last year, but I think overall the new group is light years better than the group that chose or was asked not to come back.

I like the way this team is built, its not perfect and I still don't think it is where Deggs wants it to be, but it is really close to being there.
    So here is the question and or statement regarding the roster. This foundation of this program has always been
    Built on HS seniors. When we had good teams it was bc we had guys who had been in the program for a few years. The portal can change the look of a roster overnight. While i think we will continue to use it…i think if we hit on another good signing class the future is gonna be very bright. To be successful in the current system Deggs uses, you have to be a specific kind of athlete. The portal doesnt always tell you that.

11. Default Re: BB Final: Louisiana 13, Grambling 1

Jack Clark
    Drew Shifflet
    Bryce Calloway
    Hayden Durke
    Bobby Lada
    Warner Rincones
    Chipper Menard
    Peyton Havard

On the mound:

update Jack Clark is at something called Weatherford College in Bridgeport, TX. He is playing and hitting .300, but I am not sure anything about Weatherford College and what level ball they play and I know Drew Shifflett retired from college baseball, I believe.

I think the surprise to me is Bobby Lada and Warnner Rincones

Jack Clark
    Drew Shifflet
    Bryce Calloway
    Hayden Durke
    Bobby Lada
    Warner Rincones
    Chipper Menard
    Peyton Havard

On the mound:

Payton Havard was our opening day starter last yr if im not mistaken.

13. Default Re: BB Final: Louisiana 13, Grambling 1

Payton Havard was our opening day starter last yr if im not mistaken.
    No Shifflett started opening day, Havard started Game 2. Either way neither is still on the roster and neither finished the season as a starter.

So here is the question and or statement regarding the roster. This foundation of this program has always been
    Built on HS seniors. When we had good teams it was bc we had guys who had been in the program for a few years. The portal can change the look of a roster overnight. While i think we will continue to use it…i think if we hit on another good signing class the future is gonna be very bright. To be successful in the current system Deggs uses, you have to be a specific kind of athlete. The portal doesnt always tell you that.
    I don't disagree about your foundation comment, but the game has changed a lot over the years, so that foundation may or may not be as useful as in the past. As far as the transfer portal goes, I do think it has affected baseball the least as it was the most transfer heavy of all the sports, pre-transfer portal.

A bigger impact on baseball is NIL, as we all know scholarship money is limited. I think the jury is still out on how that will impact building a HS heavy foundation. I know for sure, that Texas baseball is $20k/season for every signee (and have been told by a member of their staff that LSU is at least double that). Now the question is does a HS player go for the $$$ or playing time.

Not sure what the right mix of HS vs transfers is, but at a minimum, I think 50% of roster being players you have had since they were Fr is probably a good starting point.

update Jack Clark is at something called Weatherford College in Bridgeport, TX. He is playing and hitting .300, but I am not sure anything about Weatherford College and what level ball they play and I know Drew Shifflett retired from college baseball, I believe.

I think the surprise to me is Bobby Lada and Warnner Rincones
    Weatherford is a JUCO D1. Ranked in the top 20 this year.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information