Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Kyle, you also predicted there was no chance this past year's team would be successful. No way to know how the future will turn out as we don't know who will be brought in at this stage in spring recruiting. We also don't know how much of a contribution the 2 guards brought in during fall recruiting can make. Last year there was lots of negativity on this forum following the retention decision. Despite that they brought in a guy who finished in the top 10 in the country in assists in spring recruiting. They also brought in a starting forward in AUGUST who was one of the tops in the nation at his position in not only FG percentage but FT percentage. He was also a strong rebounder. Now we are coming into recruiting with some positives. I don't know if they can duplicate that recruiting success but to automatically say they will struggle in the future is premature. By the same token I won't automatically say success is certain. I do remind people that in the one game we did not have Jordan Brown this season we bolted out to a 41 to 17 halftime lead against Troy. We also have a young and hungry staff of assistants. They and the rest of the support staff do much more work than most fans realize. Listen to the podcast Craig and I recorded this morning if you want to learn more about those guys.
    Please refer to that post. Because you never heard any such thing from me. The only thing I asked was how would things work out if this team won 20, or more games & no one was at the Cajun Dome to see it because the fans are tired of Marley.

2. Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Optimism boost. I'm excited to see what CBM can do this offseason to retain the momentum of this year.
    Here is what we know, if everything stays the same. First off, I might say, you can not fire Marlin after this run, if you wanted to do it last year was the year to do it. I agree with the poster that said, this job would be hugely unattractive if you fire him after the season he had and the success he had this year.

#1 we might get JB back, we don't know anything now, as a glass half full guy, I really am hoping we get him back and if we do, we will be considered the favorite to win the league again.

#2 The way Marlin used Kobe this year was nothing short of brilliant. Kobe if he returns, will be returning for the first time that he did not have to sit out tons of games because of injury. Late in the year, you could see how much he was feeling better vs early in the year. If he can add a few minutes more per game next year and play a little better, he is one of the best players on your team.

#3 you return Themus Fulks, who was way more than I think any of us would have imagined. Another year under his belt and he might end up being the best PG in the SBC.

#4 while he did not end the year very good, you still have one of the best 3 point shooters in the league, if not the country in Kentrell Garnett.

#5 Joe Charles is a difference maker and another year in the weight room and another off season and you can see how much this kid has improved from year #1 until now, can't wait to see what else he can do.

#6 Mike Thomas continues to improve as a backup PG. I said in year #1 he was not even close to a D1 player, I take that back now, he still has a ways to go, but he has improved year over year.

#6 I think many of us believe that Chancellor White has the chance to be very good, he did not get much of a chance this year, mostly because he was behind 2 seniors in Greg Williams and Jalen Dalcourt.

#7 The work on the street is that Kyran Ratliff is good enough to start on this team, if that is true, man redshirting him was a great idea.

#8 The two new guards coming in are supposed to be pretty good, we shall see how that works out.

#9 The transfer portal is huge and has tons of talent, we picked up a great one in Terrance Lewis late last year, if we can get a player or two that can step in right away and fill the void of guys like Williams, Lewis and Dalcourt, we will be ok.

#10 another year of growth for Isaiah Richards in the post behind JB (if he stays) is not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Thank you.
    I'm not a Marlin supporter and it's never been personal for me. But this is a no brainer for most of us, with the exception of a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Kyle, you also predicted there was no chance this past year's team would be successful. No way to know how the future will turn out as we don't know who will be brought in at this stage in spring recruiting. We also don't know how much of a contribution the 2 guards brought in during fall recruiting can make. Last year there was lots of negativity on this forum following the retention decision. Despite that they brought in a guy who finished in the top 10 in the country in assists in spring recruiting. They also brought in a starting forward in AUGUST who was one of the tops in the nation at his position in not only FG percentage but FT percentage. He was also a strong rebounder. Now we are coming into recruiting with some positives. I don't know if they can duplicate that recruiting success but to automatically say they will struggle in the future is premature. By the same token I won't automatically say success is certain. I do remind people that in the one game we did not have Jordan Brown this season we bolted out to a 41 to 17 halftime lead against Troy. We also have a young and hungry staff of assistants. They and the rest of the support staff do much more work than most fans realize. Listen to the podcast Craig and I recorded this morning if you want to learn more about those guys.
    However, reading the rest of your post it sounds as though there should be a lot of enthusiasm for the future of Cajuns basketball. When will Marley begin this sales process to the people who buy tickets? You are the most positively positive optimist the UL fan base has. However, I would appreciate this coach selling his team as if he buys them himself & him be willing to take accountability if these guys underperform. And schedule someone decent for the love of Molly would you please?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Here is what we know, if everything stays the same. First off, I might say, you can not fire Marlin after this run, if you wanted to do it last year was the year to do it. I agree with the poster that said, this job would be hugely unattractive if you fire him after the season he had and the success he had this year.

#1 we might get JB back, we don't know anything now, as a glass half full guy, I really am hoping we get him back and if we do, we will be considered the favorite to win the league again.

#2 The way Marlin used Kobe this year was nothing short of brilliant. Kobe if he returns, will be returning for the first time that he did not have to sit out tons of games because of injury. Late in the year, you could see how much he was feeling better vs early in the year. If he can add a few minutes more per game next year and play a little better, he is one of the best players on your team.

#3 you return Themus Fulks, who was way more than I think any of us would have imagined. Another year under his belt and he might end up being the best PG in the SBC.

#4 while he did not end the year very good, you still have one of the best 3 point shooters in the league, if not the country in Kentrell Garnett.

#5 Joe Charles is a difference maker and another year in the weight room and another off season and you can see how much this kid has improved from year #1 until now, can't wait to see what else he can do.

#6 Mike Thomas continues to improve as a backup PG. I said in year #1 he was not even close to a D1 player, I take that back now, he still has a ways to go, but he has improved year over year.

#6 I think many of us believe that Chancellor White has the chance to be very good, he did not get much of a chance this year, mostly because he was behind 2 seniors in Greg Williams and Jalen Dalcourt.

#7 The work on the street is that Kyran Ratliff is good enough to start on this team, if that is true, man redshirting him was a great idea.

#8 The two new guards coming in are supposed to be pretty good, we shall see how that works out.

#9 The transfer portal is huge and has tons of talent, we picked up a great one in Terrance Lewis late last year, if we can get a player or two that can step in right away and fill the void of guys like Williams, Lewis and Dalcourt, we will be ok.

#10 another year of growth for Isaiah Richards in the post behind JB (if he stays) is not a bad thing.
    I think you were originally correct on Thomas, nothing he did this season has changed my mine. And I add Garnett to that category. Neither have the ability of a Wright, Stove, Barkley or Stroman.

Richard doesn't play under control and has little touch around the basket. Frankly, I think all three of those kids need major improvement to gain my confidence.

6. Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I think you were originally correct on Thomas, nothing he did this season has changed my mine. And I add Garnett to that category. Neither have the ability of a Wright, Stove, Barkley or Stroman.

Richard doesn't play under control and has little touch around the basket. Frankly, I think all three of those kids need major improvement to gain my confidence.
    I will agree with the statement comparing them to Wright, Stove, Barkley or Stroman, but those were some special players you are comparing them to. That said as a spot up shooter Garnett is really good.

Richard will never be a starter on this team, but I like him for 5-10 minutes a game as a backup big man. He needs a ton of work and is very raw, but he does clog the middle and gets some rebounds.

7. Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but is that 3 championships in 26 opportunities?
    …..well with 2 NCAA TOURNEYS 28…..NOT SURE ABOUT THE OTHER BUY INS!<

When is the dead line for JB to decide if he will stay one more year at UL or declare for draft?

Anyone know how our attendance has been from 2010 to 2023? Pretty stagnant?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post

I'd be very surprised if Michael Thomas returns.

11. Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    Anyone know how our attendance has been from 2010 to 2023? Pretty stagnant?
    This year was 3170 per game, that ranked 5th of 14 teams in the SBC. I don't know what previous years were.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I will agree with the statement comparing them to Wright, Stove, Barkley or Stroman, but those were some special players you are comparing them to. That said as a spot up shooter Garnett is really good.

Richard will never be a starter on this team, but I like him for 5-10 minutes a game as a backup big man. He needs a ton of work and is very raw, but he does clog the middle and gets some rebounds.
    Yes, they were special but they could affect the game in a number of ways while Thomas and Garnett cannot. A set shooter has its usefulness off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    When is the dead line for JB to decide if he will stay one more year at UL or declare for draft?
    I think he's staying...NBA scouts will advise it, and he could see his value increase after another full year on the court. Remember his first 2 years, he was a reserve if I'm not mistaken...And, he's such a competitor...you know not getting the SBC MVP chapped his azz, and the fact that UL didn't win the regular season is probably rubbing him wrong as well. Guys like this take this stuff personal...I think he wants to leave his time here as an all time great, and better than his dad...

Scott Cross, considered a good coach. Has a career winning record. TWELVE years at UTA, won the conference tournament in his second year, NIT appearance twice, finishing first in the regular season but couldn’t seal the tournament deal.

Four years at Troy, finishing 4th, 5th, 6th and 11th, average finish 6.5 at Troy.

16 years, 1 NCAA, 2 NITs. .560 career winning %.

Just sayin’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scot...s_(basketball)

AFA JB, discussion during the game was he has to be able to play facing the basket at the next level. That’s a reason to return.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Scott Cross, considered a good coach. Has a career winning record. TWELVE years at UTA, won the conference tournament in his second year, NIT appearance twice, finishing first in the regular season but couldn’t seal the tournament deal.

Four years at Troy, finishing 4th, 5th, 6th and 11th, average finish 6.5 at Troy.

16 years, 1 NCAA, 2 NITs. .560 career winning %.

Just sayin’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scot...s_(basketball)

AFA JB, discussion during the game was he has to be able to play facing the basket at the next level. That’s a reason to return.
    Unfortunately, the NBA doesn't value older prospects. They prefer prospects that are younger and projectable by age 25. He has nothing to gain by returning and would be better off in the NBA Developmental League. If he is a free agent prospect, then it won't make much of a difference if he returns. His evaluation will help him make a decision.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread Information