Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    The most impressive teams thus far in the tournament are teams who defend and are efficient offensively. I think most would agree that SDSU and Tennessee were possibly the two most impressive teams yesterday. They controlled their opponent and just did everything well.

The Furmans, Penn States, College of charlestons who throw up tons of outside shots can sting you when hot but they are not built to make runs. Princeton was lights out yesterday but they will run into one of these good defensive teams who will force them to play their style and end their run quickly.
    End their run quickly? They are in the sweet 16. That’s a pretty good run.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    When the Cajuns made the tourney this year I was in the mindset of as long as Bob reaches the tournament consistently he can have a job here. After the game I thought back on the last 13 years and changed my mind. He has no business playing high level basketball. It has been the same thing for 13 years. His offensive scheme is non-existent. Even the announcers said it during the game. We throw the ball inside and everyone just stands around. It has been this way for 13 damn years. There's no flow, no motion, nothing to Bob's offense. Do I think Bob has recruited some athletes who have been good enough to overcome this lack of offense? Yes. But the coaching is not there.

Look at all of these other mid-majors in the tournament. They actually look like they know how to play basketball. No "deer in the headlights" looks. Just good basketball. You can go watch any Sun Belt game at the Cajundome and see the difference in offensive flow.

Tennessee was terrible. We should have won by 10.
    Context and Perspective are sorely lacking in this post.

This is where an AD has to earn their money. There are so many younger coaches out there looking for an opportunity. Unless we get a retread hire like Cliff Ellis at CCU, we are likely going to be hiring a coach who may lack some HC experience. We have to vet them and do our homework but good coaches can be found out there.
    I’d say it worked well for us with Billy Napier

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    End their run quickly? They are in the sweet 16. That’s a pretty good run.
    Glad we agree they are on a "Run" I said the style of play is not really a lasting recipe for success in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Coached at 3 major college programs; was a head coach in the NBA G-League (which he has a winning record, not a losing one); coached with the Chicago Bulls

How can you say it’s not impressive?
    Sorry, my mistake, he is actually one game over .500 in a developmental league. Still, there is nothing that jumps out to me that this is some incredible hire by them. I wouldn’t be excited if it was us. He might win, might not..I don’t think anything on his resume says he will.

Marlin should've been done years ago. It baffles me that him making the tournament this year gives him the green light for ANY more time here. Context is important, and you can't ignore his entire body of work. THATS what he needs to be judged on. If people want to keep supporting this, cool. We're all entitled to our opinions. Keeping Marlin screams mediocrity is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Sorry, my mistake, he is actually one game over .500 in a developmental league. Still, there is nothing that jumps out to me that this is some incredible hire by them. I wouldn’t be excited if it was us. He might win, might not..I don’t think anything on his resume says he will.
    I think anybody we hire is going to come with questions and unknowns.

8. Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Gotta be honest.. I find this conversation to be in poor taste.

I’ve been hard on Marlin and when you look at the numbers, the criticism has been fair. But, our program just accomplished something. Our program represented us well. I think we had a golden opportunity to win and I’m disappointed.

I just think it’s not the time for this conversation. The man did what we all wanted him to do. How / when / why / what is not relevant to me at this point. We have to be able to support our people when they succeed. This Marlin stuff is not personal for me. I don’t care who the coach is. I just want to win. And we did. I’m letting the guy run his program and until he gives me more reason to doubt him, I’ll keep quiet. The most recent Bob Marlin narrative is a good one.

I think anybody we hire is going to come with questions and unknowns.
    Agree completely, I was just saying I’m not seeing this guy as some slam dunk hire with a proven track record when you look at his resume.

I’m just skipped ahead, instead of reading 7 pages to say Marlin needs to ducking go. I get that he “graduates” players, but I want players to win. Win the conference (how many times in the past 13 years?). We a game in the NCAA tourney. Win something besides against D2 and the dregs of our conference. By this time we should be rolling USM and GaSt.

Marlin sucks!

I’m letting the guy run his program and until he gives me more reason to doubt him, I’ll keep quiet.

———————
    Marlin is breathing a sigh of relief, knowing you are going to let him run his own program.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Gotta be honest.. I find this conversation to be in poor taste.

I’ve been hard on Marlin and when you look at the numbers, the criticism has been fair. But, our program just accomplished something. Our program represented us well. I think we had a golden opportunity to win and I’m disappointed.

I just think it’s not the time for this conversation. The man did what we all wanted him to do. How / when / why / what is not relevant to me at this point. We have to be able to support our people when they succeed. This Marlin stuff is not personal for me. I don’t care who the coach is. I just want to win. And we did. I’m letting the guy run his program and until he gives me more reason to doubt him, I’ll keep quiet. The most recent Bob Marlin narrative is a good one.
    This is fair. I have been critical of Bob and will be until I see better results. I do not think he is the right guy for the program, but as long as he is our guy he has my support. I can be critical, but I can say I've never hoped for this team to lose. And I will continue to support this athletic department no matter who the coach of any team is.

This is where an AD has to earn their money. There are so many younger coaches out there looking for an opportunity. Unless we get a retread hire like Cliff Ellis at CCU, we are likely going to be hiring a coach who may lack some HC experience. We have to vet them and do our homework but good coaches can be found out there.
    We have an opening?

14. Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Quote Originally Posted by lafman1 View Post
    I’m letting the guy run his program and until he gives me more reason to doubt him, I’ll keep quiet.

———————
    Marlin is breathing a sigh of relief, knowing you are going to let him run his own program.
    Actually, the program belongs to us. It's our program.

Stop stealing money, low life.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Actually, the program belongs to us. It's our program.

Stop stealing money, low life.
    Your lack of reality is telling. You own nothing.

Side note: No report yet on your meeting with Joe? Did you make sure the university is using your vast experience and knowledge for lease/rental rates?

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information