Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

1. Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Bull Hooey, If your scared to can the guy because he finally made his 3rd tourney appearance in 13 years, then stick to that. To say there isn't a soul in America who would take this job who could do anything with it because you hurt an old man's feelings by putting him into retirement a a couple of years before the thought he should go is pure dog crap. The school won't can him because he meets their status quo. And to ask them to at this time is unreasonable.

But get this. I'm calling it now. Marley never sees another NCAA tournament the rest of his days unless he goes as announcer/analyst/assistant/fan/etc. He will never bring another basketball team to the NCAA tournament. And that is your fate as long as you hitch your plow to his wagon UL fan. So it was written. So it was done.
    Maybe, but Martin Hall would never pull that trigger. Trust me when I tell you, they are THRILLED about this run. Relieved, one might say.

Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Bull Hooey, If your scared to can the guy because he finally made his 3rd tourney appearance in 13 years, then stick to that. To say there isn't a soul in America who would take this job who could do anything with it because you hurt an old man's feelings by putting him into retirement a couple of years before he thought he should go is pure dog crap. The school won't can him because he meets their status quo. And to ask them to at this time is unreasonable.

But get this. I'm calling it now. Marley never sees another NCAA tournament the rest of his days unless he goes as announcer/analyst/assistant/fan/etc. He will never bring another basketball team to the NCAA tournament. And that is your fate as long as you hitch your plow to his wagon UL fan. So it was written. So it was done.
    THIS ^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Maybe, but Martin Hall would never pull that trigger. Trust me when I tell you, they are THRILLED about this run. Relieved, one might say.
    They don't like the "T" word [Termination] around here. That would require work. We don't like to work.

Bull Hooey, If your scared to can the guy because he finally made his 3rd tourney appearance in 13 years, then stick to that. To say there isn't a soul in America who would take this job who could do anything with it because you hurt an old man's feelings by putting him into retirement a couple of years before he thought he should go is pure dog crap. The school won't can him because he meets their status quo. And to ask them to at this time is unreasonable.

T was spot on correct. You cannot fire a man after that run. It will make the job very unattractive to a future coach. Who wants a job at this level where making the NCAA tournament gets you fired?

We should all be in agreement that the "powers that be" wouldn't consider letting the man go after this, his crowning achievement. Rather using this mildly successful accomplishment to justify all the other years of absolute mediocrity in which this program has barely achieved the "open for business" award presented by the average business bureau every half decade, or so.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    T was spot on correct. You cannot fire a man after that run. It will make the job very unattractive to a future coach. Who wants a job at this level where making the NCAA tournament gets you fired?
    A coach who wants to make the NCAA tournament, win a couple of games & then leave for a better job?

7. Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Happened to Scott Cross at UTA. Since then, UTA has been awful. Cautionary tale in many respects.

Kyle, you also predicted there was no chance this past year's team would be successful. No way to know how the future will turn out as we don't know who will be brought in at this stage in spring recruiting. We also don't know how much of a contribution the 2 guards brought in during fall recruiting can make. Last year there was lots of negativity on this forum following the retention decision. Despite that they brought in a guy who finished in the top 10 in the country in assists in spring recruiting. They also brought in a starting forward in AUGUST who was one of the tops in the nation at his position in not only FG percentage but FT percentage. He was also a strong rebounder. Now we are coming into recruiting with some positives. I don't know if they can duplicate that recruiting success but to automatically say they will struggle in the future is premature. By the same token I won't automatically say success is certain. I do remind people that in the one game we did not have Jordan Brown this season we bolted out to a 41 to 17 halftime lead against Troy. We also have a young and hungry staff of assistants. They and the rest of the support staff do much more work than most fans realize. Listen to the podcast Craig and I recorded this morning if you want to learn more about those guys.

9. Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

We should all be in agreement that the "powers that be" wouldn't consider letting the man go after this, his crowning achievement. Rather using this mildly successful accomplishment to justify all the other years of absolute mediocrity in which this program has barely achieved the "open for business" award presented by the average business bureau every half decade, or so.
    I hear you. That was the danger of extended him a couples years ago and then retaining him after last year.

If I'm understanding correctly, his contract was ending this year with an extension clause for making the ncaa tournament. If that's the case, he's here next year. There's also a reasonable chance that returning to the dance next year doesn't happen. The unreasonable scenario is if he falls to say 5th or worse in the conference. I don't want to hear the excuse about losing everyone. That's part of the job too. Going all in every 4-5 years is never going to revive the fanbase.

I don't think there was an extension clause. CajunT can provided more information in that regard. A new contract will have to be prepared and agreed to. That is likely a formality at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    If I'm understanding correctly, his contract was ending this year with an extension clause for making the ncaa tournament. If that's the case, he's here next year. There's also a reasonable chance that returning to the dance next year doesn't happen. The unreasonable scenario is if he falls to say 5th or worse in the conference. I don't want to hear the excuse about losing everyone. That's part of the job too. Going all in every 4-5 years is never going to revive the fanbase.
    What fan base. I will gladly be the bearer of bad news. Marlin will never rejuvenate the base. It will take a really good young coach and an even better personality to get this fan base back on board.

Now, if Marlin can 3 peat we might start seeing casual fans show up again. If we improve the schedule.

Happened to Scott Cross at UTA. Since then, UTA hasn't been awful. Cautionary tale in many respects.
    "hasn't" or "has"?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I do remind people that in the one game we did not have Jordan Brown this season we bolted out to a 41 to 17 halftime lead against Troy.
    Optimism boost. I'm excited to see what CBM can do this offseason to retain the momentum of this year.

15. Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

fixed

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread Information