Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunref View Post
    The man has won three championships in 13 years. For some, that isn't enough. I'm not going to tell you how you should feel. I've made my support for Coach Marlin well known.

I am sure he is a great individual and runs a clean program, but outside of conference victories/championships he has not beat anyone of any significance that I recall in 13 years. That is where most of us have a problem with him. He deserves another year or two based on this year only. If he falls back into his past MO, and does not at least make it back to conference championship game, it is way past time to move on.
    Two 8th place finishes in the last 4 years is my biggest concern.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    That is what I was alluding to in the past MO reference, we have seen it B4. If Brown does not do an about face and decide to return next year, I am afraid it will be a long year. Hopefully I am proven wrong, it was nice to be relevant again and be in the tournament. This athletic department needs to make MBB a priority once again, not just lip service.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    The man has won three championships in 13 years. For some, that isn't enough. I'm not going to tell you how you should feel. I've made my support for Coach Marlin well known.

One poster said he can't take us "to the next level" and I'm not sure what that means. If that means winning in the postseason, well, the only one who has done that in the last 50 years was Marty Fletcher and we treated him like he was a child molester. We haven't won an NCAA or NIT game since.
    Jay - I get the 3 championships in 13 years argument. But I think the bigger problem is the other 10 years. If you look at the non-championship years, he's a 0.500 basketball coach (0.536 if anyone wants to yell at me for not being precise). That's not a small sample size, that's 10 years.

I'm not in the "fire Marlin today" camps, but if you can't look at it with the full lens of why people want him gone, you're ignoring a key point.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Jay - I get the 3 championships in 13 years argument. But I think the bigger problem is the other 10 years. If you look at the non-championship years, he's a 0.500 basketball coach (0.536 if anyone wants to yell at me for not being precise). That's not a small sample size, that's 10 years.

I'm not in the "fire Marlin today" camps, but if you can't look at it with the full lens of why people want him gone, you're ignoring a key point.
    I don't think I'm ignoring anything. I'm well aware of the criticisms, shoot, this board is full of such.

The question I asked referred to the poster who said he couldn't take us to the next level. I asked for a definition of next level. And, I'm betting I'm going to get many different answers.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post

Two NCAA tournament appearances in thirteen years!! What else needs to be said. Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    Two NCAA tournament appearances in thirteen years!! What else needs to be said. Time to move on.
    Falling off to 5th, 6th and 8th place in league play at times makes it hard to make a run in the conference tourney. Sunbelt is one bid league. Solely going on appearances is not a valid argument in this case. Not being competitive in league play to give a fighting chance in the tourney is in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    Its very difficult to take this seriously when you refuse to acknowledge a school record of 27 wins and a regular season title.

I'm good with differing opinions and debate. But if an outright championship doesn't count for you, I'll just pass on your opinion.

One poster said he can't take us "to the next level" and I'm not sure what that means. If that means winning in the postseason, well, the only one who has done that in the last 50 years was Marty Fletcher and we treated him like he was a child molester. We haven't won an NCAA or NIT game since.
    How about the dominance shown by WKU or GaSt? That’s what I consider “the next level”.

Now I get it, you do t have expectations with basketball. But the fans do! 3 post season appearances in 13 years isn’t enough. If you believe that is, then you can leave with Marlin.

This was a program that graced the cover of Sports Illustrated. I don’t care how long ago that was. This program has a history of winning.

Marlin still has never defeated a top 100 team. Ever! So excuse me if your kindred friendship and blind loyalty to the administration has diluted your ability to be objective.

I'm excited to see what Marlin can do in the next 2-3 years. Over the length of his tenure, he's faced a lot of adversity that I can't really speak to (I'm a casual MBB fan). But it seems like he's faced a lot of adversity from locker room personalities, assistant coaches (can't remember the asst coach early on in his tenure), players' parents, losses in his personal life.

It looks like the program is on a stable foundation (regardless of the time it took). What if the program as-is IS set up for future success. What if the 2022 season is where everything finally fell into place. What if Marlin keeps us fighting for a top 3 finish the next three years? What if DaBoot's sweet sixteen prophecy comes true? I think we not only owe it to CBM for the season he had, but to ourselves to see if the program is set up for consistent success here on out. How cool would that story be for us to stick with a head coach for this long and be rewarded for it in an era where coaches come and go as often as the band plays cornbread during a football game.

I am hopeful for our programs' consistent success moving forward.

10. Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    I'm excited to see what Marlin can do in the next 2-3 years. Over the length of his tenure, he's faced a lot of adversity that I can't really speak to (I'm a casual MBB fan). But it seems like he's faced a lot of adversity from locker room personalities, assistant coaches (can't remember the asst coach early on in his tenure), players' parents, losses in his personal life.

It looks like the program is on a stable foundation (regardless of the time it took). What if the program as-is IS set up for future success. What if the 2022 season is where everything finally fell into place. What if Marlin keeps us fighting for a top 3 finish the next three years? What if DaBoot's sweet sixteen prophecy comes true? I think we not only owe it to CBM for the season he had, but to ourselves to see if the program is set up for consistent success here on out. How cool would that story be for us to stick with a head coach for this long and be rewarded for it in an era where coaches come and go as often as the band plays cornbread during a football game.

His resume says mediocre results with occasional success in the league. That’s not changing, but we’re pretty much stuck with him.

Its very difficult to take this seriously when you refuse to acknowledge a school record of 27 wins and a regular season title.

I'm good with differing opinions and debate. But if an outright championship doesn't count for you, I'll just pass on your opinion.
    As I yours.

Some people only care about quantity wins as opposed to quality wins..

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    I just want to add some stats to this conversation.

There are only 4 teams win the SB Conference tournament in the last 13 years.

Georgia State: 4
    Louisiana: 2
    WKU: 2
    UALR: 2

Two of these teams are no longer in our conference. UALR is in, well, no one cares. WKU left for cusa and by the way, finished 8th this year in a lesser conference.

Georgia State finished 14th, that is last place.

I get the concern over the variation in finishes; I would expect our team to finish in the upper half of the conference each year. On to expecting our team to win the league and/or conference tournament yearly, or say every 4th year; well there is only one team in our league to do that. Not counting the 4 new members, there are 6 teams in our conference that have zero ncaa appearances in the last 13 years.

I want to win every year but maybe I am a little more realistic than others.

By the way, congratulations to our team for winning this year!

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post

are you really giving him a pass for the players he recruited/signed and the coaches he hired?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    How about the dominance shown by WKU or GaSt? That’s what I consider “the next level”.

Now I get it, you do t have expectations with basketball. But the fans do! 3 post season appearances in 13 years isn’t enough. If you believe that is, then you can leave with Marlin.

This was a program that graced the cover of Sports Illustrated. I don’t care how long ago that was. This program has a history of winning.

Marlin still has never defeated a top 100 team. Ever! So excuse me if your kindred friendship and blind loyalty to the administration has diluted your ability to be objective.
    Hold your calls we have a winner!!

15. Default Re: Is Marlin the guy for the program?

27 wins against a SOS that was #213 as of Selection Sunday that year. Average opponent RPI rank was 199. 24 wins were against Quad 3 and 4 teams. Forgive me for thinking that 27 wins against a soft schedule isn't something to brag about. He also only went 1-1 during the dreaded "3 games in March."

And I have the same issue with those that brag about 2014 baseball season. We played a soft schedule that year too.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information