Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Thread: MBB NCAA Final: Louisiana 55, Tennessee 58

1. Default Re: #13 Louisiana vs. #4 Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    And that’s a big IF on the double team. Tennessee has two bigs that are good, one slows JB down enough could work for them.

Shock the world.
    I know we have faced very few teams with the ability to single team JB and maybe Tennessee can. What we saw over the SBC tournament is that one of the only teams in the belt with that ability (you may have thought) was USA, but even Kevin Samuel could not do it. USA decided to attempt to double and sometimes triple team JB. I think UT will attempt in the beginning to play man to man on him without sending a double, but if he starts scoring down low then they will make a switch. This is where the Cajuns have to get scoring from Greg Williams, Jalen Dalcourt, Kentrell Garnett, Themus Fulks, Michael Thomas and others from the outside. If they double him because he is scoring we have to hit our outside shots, if we don't it will be a long night.

The other question is the health of GW, I know he got stepped on in the conference finals, if he is healthy we are in good shape if not it could be tough. We have a very small margin for error in this game. I think we can win, but we have to play very well, the other key is going to be FT shooting. If JB gets to the line he has to shoot close to 75%, we can not have a 2-11 game from him from the line. No one in the SBC goes to the line more than JB, when he is hitting them even at 65% we have a chance, but if he is shooting 35% it's going to be a long night.

Geaux Cajuns!!!!

Default Re: #13 Louisiana vs. #4 Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Correct and timing is an issue too. He has to move the ball quickly when he realizes the doubles. He was slow on that early on.
    Yes. Timing was an issue. Guards would be wide open for a 3 and Jordan would not pass it back. Then Guards would be wide open and still not take the 3 wide open. The announcers couldn't believe it. They would pass it back to Brown. I am sure they are practicing this and should expect it. Then if we start nailing 3's they may back off Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I know we have faced very few teams with the ability to single team JB and maybe Tennessee can. What we saw over the SBC tournament is that one of the only teams in the belt with that ability (you may have thought) was USA, but even Kevin Samuel could not do it. USA decided to attempt to double and sometimes triple team JB. I think UT will attempt in the beginning to play man to man on him without sending a double, but if he starts scoring down low then they will make a switch. This is where the Cajuns have to get scoring from Greg Williams, Jalen Dalcourt, Kentrell Garnett, Themus Fulks, Michael Thomas and others from the outside. If they double him because he is scoring we have to hit our outside shots, if we don't it will be a long night.

The other question is the health of GW, I know he got stepped on in the conference finals, if he is healthy we are in good shape if not it could be tough. We have a very small margin for error in this game. I think we can win, but we have to play very well, the other key is going to be FT shooting. If JB gets to the line he has to shoot close to 75%, we can not have a 2-11 game from him from the line. No one in the SBC goes to the line more than JB, when he is hitting them even at 65% we have a chance, but if he is shooting 35% it's going to be a long night.

Geaux Cajuns!!!!
    I’d bet the farm UL will see a 1-3-1 zone at some point. Briefly struggled with that in the tournament until the corner 3s started falling.

100% agree, JB can’t have a meh night from the line.

My biggest concern though is the pattern P5s have in the NCAA’s in first round games. They go right at the best player and foul trouble follows. JB usually has a pretty clean slate, so he has the smarts, it just depends how hard Tennessee comes at him.

UL has a good team IQ. They’ll find a way.

Geaux Cajuns.

8:30 is not terrible
    Remember, Louisiana is the only Louisiana team in the tournament.

I'll take 8:30.

The statistic that jumps out at me about Tennessee is they force turnovers on 24% of the opponent's possessions. That's an amazing stat to me.

In addition to the aforementioned, which I agree with, you can add a low turnover total to the list.

I'm stereotyping here, but it seems that every time a team seeded 12 or lower pulls an upset, it's because they shot the **** out of it from the perimeter. We have shooters. They have to shoot a really good pct.

Can't have a bunch of empty posessions...have to make it or get to the line. Unforced errors will kill UL no matter what they shoot...Faulks will have to have a game like he had vs South Alabama, if that happens and JB gets his, we're on to the next round...

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    ....I'm stereotyping here, but it seems that every time a team seeded 12 or lower pulls an upset, it's because they shot the **** out of it from the perimeter. We have shooters. They have to shoot a really good pct.
    I have been screaming this for decades. Mid majors make runs because they have guys that are unconscious shooters first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I’d bet the farm UL will see a 1-3-1 zone at some point. Briefly struggled with that in the tournament until the corner 3s started falling.

100% agree, JB can’t have a meh night from the line.

My biggest concern though is the pattern P5s have in the NCAA’s in first round games. They go right at the best player and foul trouble follows. JB usually has a pretty clean slate, so he has the smarts, it just depends how hard Tennessee comes at him.

UL has a good team IQ. They’ll find a way.

Geaux Cajuns.
    This is something I was thinking as well, Zoom. Richard's may have to have a big game as well in his time on the floor. But I think Terence Lewis may be the X factor in this game.

9. Default Re: #13 Louisiana vs. #4 Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Remember, Louisiana is the only Louisiana team in the tournament.

I'll take 8:30.
    …..So why do I worry that there is a Louisiana team (lsu ladies)…..Bet they get preference in the Lafayette DA……so why ever get the Laf paper!

10. Default Re: #13 Louisiana vs. #4 Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    …..So why do I worry that there is a Louisiana team (lsu ladies)…..Bet they get preference in the Lafayette DA……so why ever get the Laf paper!
    You know it.

The Advertiser is pseudo boycotting the Cajuns ever since UL signed an agreement with The Advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    Yes. Timing was an issue. Guards would be wide open for a 3 and Jordan would not pass it back. Then Guards would be wide open and still not take the 3 wide open. The announcers couldn't believe it. They would pass it back to Brown. I am sure they are practicing this and should expect it. Then if we start nailing 3's they may back off Brown.
    He improved on it as the season went along just as he did with developing other parts of his offensive game. He started stepping away a little more to avoid the double teams and started hitting jumpers from the baseline and up to around 15 feet. That helped the entire team as it left the lane a little more open for cutters and rebounding.

UL did fine against that 1-3-1, hit some outside shots, and evaporated like the dew...Tennessee has the athletes to play man all game, we won't see a half court zone defense from them...

He improved on it as the season went along just as he did with developing other parts of his offensive game. He started stepping away a little more to avoid the double teams and started hitting jumpers from the baseline and up to around 15 feet. That helped the entire team as it left the lane a little more open for cutters and rebounding.
    Yea hitting those jumpers are key as well. I promise you if he wants to play NBA, he needs to improve on shooting those jumpers.

UL Basketball Re: #13 Louisiana vs. #4 Tennessee

fyi
    Tennessee or Louisiana? How to pick 4 vs. 13 matchup in 2023 March Madness
    Story by Gilbert McGregor • 4h ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...75e9cd9c&ei=19

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    fyi
    Tennessee or Louisiana? How to pick 4 vs. 13 matchup in 2023 March Madness
    Story by Gilbert McGregor • 4h ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...75e9cd9c&ei=19
    We won an automatic bid by winning the SBC tounament, not an at-large bid.

Now, winning the game isnt't an automatic, but let's go ahead and do it!

GEAUX CAJUNS!

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information