Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

UL Basketball Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

2. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

Craig, you’re doing great work with the podcast.

And this is not even part of the beef with Walker. This is just a fan listening to the content of his comments:

Anyone who believes it’s “unreasonable” to expect to finish above an average of 5th or 6th place in this conference should give up sports as a hobby and “support” something else. What a ridiculous comment. Was it unreasonable for Ga St to expect to win? Those mfers dominated this league for 8 years. They went to the dance 3 times in 7 years. They won a game in the tournament. They finished below 4th place ONE time, this year not withstanding. And they did all of that in mid-city Atlanta in a middle school gym on the third floor of a commercial office building.

Is winning hard? Of course it is. Anything worth doing in life is hard. But it’s even harder when you make every excuse under the sun as to why you can’t win.

Charter flights. Bus trips. AD gave the money to football. Can’t win on the road. Elevation. Mardi Gras distraction. We’re the “standard” with a target on our back. Blah blah blah. We’ve heard it all. All of those things still existed this season and look at what this team accomplished.

Supporters of a good program DO and SHOULD expect to win. Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re wrong for that.

Keep up the good work, MelRock.

Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

And this is not even part of the beef with Walker. This is just a fan listening to the content of his comments:

Anyone who believes it’s “unreasonable” to expect to finish above an average of 5th or 6th place in this conference should give up sports as a hobby and “support” something else. What a ridiculous comment. Was it unreasonable for Ga St to expect to win? Those mfers dominated this league for 8 years. They went to the dance 3 times in 7 years. They won a game in the tournament. They finished below 4th place ONE time, this year not withstanding. And they did all of that in mid-city Atlanta in a middle school gym on the third floor of a commercial office building.

Is winning hard? Of course it is. Anything worth doing in life is hard. But it’s even harder when you make every excuse under the sun as to why you can’t win.

Charter flights. Bus trips. AD gave the money to football. Can’t win on the road. Elevation. Mardi Gras distraction. We’re the “standard” with a target on our back. Blah blah blah. We’ve heard it all. All of those things still existed this season and look at what this team accomplished.

Supporters of a good program DO and SHOULD expect to win. Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re wrong for that.

You mean like the Evan's Days?

2000 NCAA
    2002 NIT
    2003 NIT
    2004 NCAA
    2005 NCAA

It’s already been proven to be possible here. Even more so now that NIL is here!!

The actual audacity of the fans to have expectations of winning at the highest level.

If it is possible to finish in the Top 25 in football here. Then you darn well better believe that making the NIT/NCAA is expected 3 out of 5 years!

Imagine is Glasco said, we hope to make a regional this year….and that’s the best we can “hope” for. Or if Deggs said “I hope we are in position for a regional”. Those two coaches would be burned at the stake!

Cut the salary in half, take the other half and start an NIL Collective for basketball and go find you 8 really good players. Jordan Brown, Shawn Long, Dwayne Mitchell type players.

You don’t think we would be in contention every year! Come on man!!

Craig, otherwise you guys kill the basketball pod. Keep it up!

Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

Walker is full of it. Otherwise keep up the good work, more UL pods the better.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post

2000 NCAA
    2002 NIT
    2003 NIT
    2004 NCAA
    2005 NCAA

It’s already been proven to be possible here. Even more so now that NIL is here!!

The actual audacity of the fans to have expectations of winning at the highest level.

If it is possible to finish in the Top 25 in football here. Then you darn well better believe that making the NIT/NCAA is expected 3 out of 5 years!

Imagine is Glasco said, we hope to make a regional this year….and that’s the best we can “hope” for. Or if Deggs said “I hope we are in position for a regional”. Those two coaches would be burned at the stake!

Cut the salary in half, take the other half and start an NIL Collective for basketball and go find you 8 really good players. Jordan Brown, Shawn Long, Dwayne Mitchell type players.

i thought 2004 and 2005 were vacated, also did 2005 have a different coach? otherwise good point, i like the three year milestone as a min. for all sports

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    i thought 2004 and 2005 were vacated, also did 2005 have a different coach? otherwise good point, i like the three year milestone as a min. for all sports
    Yes to both. Robert Lee Lee Evan’s’ team in 2005 although he gets credit as well cause he was on the previous staff before Cyprien’s scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    The 2004 & 2005 teams did vacate. It doesn’t change that we were there. If compliance had done their job we would t have had to vacate.

Also, half of our current roster are doing the same things that Orien Green did with a correspondence course from other universities.

What was done then, is legal now.

8. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

Coming through the left ear bud only.

Still loving every minute.

Infatuated with the new MBB SID.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post

2000 NCAA
    2002 NIT
    2003 NIT
    2004 NCAA
    2005 NCAA

Came here to say the same thing. Say what you about Evans, the teams were almost always in it and fun to watch.

Edited to add: oh and the dome was almost always packed and the student section was was relevant…I was there

10. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

“Bob marlins job first is to graduate players and he does that.”

Uh, no, it is not. He is a basketball coach. He’s not a professor, a player parent, a dean, an academic assistant, a tutor or a compliance officer. He was hired and paid to win basketball games. Graduating players is PART of the job, in a support role.

And btw, many many successful coaches (plenty here at UL) help players graduate AND participate in the postseason more often than not.

STOP.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

I think going into each season, the players and coaches in our program have expectations of at least a top four finish these days, if not higher. That is what you need for a double bye. Now, they may know that won't happen every year and are VERY disappointed when it does not occur. That does not mean their expectations are not high.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Coming through the left ear bud only.

Still loving every minute.

Infatuated with the new MBB SID.
    Thanks, I see what is wrong. I am still trying to get the best sound quality, so I am experimenting.

Thanks for listening and for the feedback.

14. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Thanks, I see what is wrong. I am still trying to get the best sound quality, so I am experimenting.
    Craig, the podcast before this one, audio quality was the best I’d heard. It was the one with you and Mike talking post South Al, I’m pretty sure.

Whatever y’all did there, it was really good.

I love Jay and I'm a big fan of his, however, I'm not really sure what the point of the whole we've finished first in the league only twice in 32 years thing. Fan's criticisms of Marlin honestly had more to do with averaging a 6th place finish over the last 4 or 5 years prior to this year while being the highest paid coach in the league rather than lack of 1st place finishes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information