Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

I think that would be reasonable.

I'm a proponent of the neutral site semifinals/finals

The MTE where you play someone at home and have to go on the road twice isn't nearly as appealing.

2. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    I don't know if I agree with the scheduling suggestion from the league or not. I simply don't know enough about the NET formula to know if it's a valid suggestion

Here's what I do know. I think the idea behind all this is to be able to (pardon the term) manipulate the NET to our advantage. So...my question would be what boost you get from Strength of Victory that would enable you to benefit from wide margins of victory.

Knowing what we know from the RPI, I think we still think that way as it applies to basketball. So my second question is How important is strength of schedule.

Here's what I do know. If Mike is correct and the league wants us to play 13 D-1 home games, we're probably talking 1 non d-1 at most. That's an upside.

But it means we might have to get four home games, D-1.

I'm going to give the league the benefit of the doubt that they brought in people who were experts on the NET and how to make it work in your favor. That would be a lot more info than any of us have right now.

Now, from the league's point of view, the goal is to be able to get an at-large bid.

Like I said, I'm not the most knowledgeable guy.....but I'm not going to go into the discussion with a bias.
    And at the end of the day, I think most of us would side with our AD and HC on doing what's best for the strength of our team in postseason play, even if we hate the reasons why. I would.

Fact remains, for competitive purposes, it would limit our potential. It's the antithesis of scheduling up to weather the team.

Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

Just listened to this. Terrence Lewis - Servant Leader. Great Leader

Means something to me, MAT. I remember JJ Thomas....didn't want to go to summer school - he shoots baskets. He was shown the door.....Hell yeah, Bob MARLIN...graduate em.

5. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball with Jay Walker 03-07-2023

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Means something to me, MAT. I remember JJ Thomas....didn't want to go to summer school - he shoots baskets. He was shown the door.....Hell yeah, Bob MARLIN...graduate em.
    Well thats not what I said. The assertion was that it's Bob's "top priority." That's not correct. Should he do everything he can to help them graduate? Absolutely. Billy Napier pushed kids to change their major because it was to "intense" and cut into their "football time." I thought that was despicable and I don't support anything like that.

However, it needs to be kept in perspective. Coaches are here to win. They are part of the promotion arm of the university. We hire and pay coaches to compete against other schools and WIN. That's the top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Well, if you start with "can't" you stay there.
    (Well you know, what happened was, one poster kept posting the same pick, pick, pick post over and over.)

FYI. I just came across this response on a thread that was closed. That wasn't picking at all. I have been knowing the fella that references the "birdy" since our 21 year sons were 7 year old boys in little league together. I consider him a friend. I was merely responding to his claim that the birdy said Ben was going to be the QB. As you may recall the birdy was right and the only one that was saying Des was going to be the coach. My only point was to not crown the starter yet even though we have a couple that are out. Not seeing how you getting picking out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I get Jay's point, and MaT's point, and CajunRage's point, and RedTails' point, and CajunNation's point.

Lots of good points.
    Call you Switzerland Honestly, I kind of thought the same thing.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic at all for fans to share the same expectations as the coaches and team. Each preseason presser, reporters will ask “what are your goals?” Coaches and players will most likely say “our goal is to compete for a conference championship and a berth (insert post season bowl game or tournament.)”

If fans expect a ship each year, then that is a pipe dream. But using what the team sets as their goal? Why would fans want to set their expectations lower?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    And at the end of the day, I think most of us would side with our AD and HC on doing what's best for the strength of our team in postseason play, even if we hate the reasons why. I would.

Fact remains, for competitive purposes, it would limit our potential. It's the antithesis of scheduling up to weather the team.
    Playing 13 D1 home games still allows several road non conference games. Some of those will be payday games. In the home games we will still play La Tech every other year. We will also have a MAC team at home and road. There are plenty of opportunities to weather the team with that plan. Instead of buying NAIA teams we will buy SLC and SWAC teams. That actually will better prepare us for conference play than this year’s non conference schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    That’s a great formula to have teams that can’t compete in the post season.

Keep hearing how rare it is, but seems everytime I log on to twitter, one of our peers is hosting a P5 school.
    Peer schools hosting P5 programs are doing so because of 2 for 1 deals or 3 for 1 deals with no payment for the times you go on the road. I guess I should have stated that I expect deals like that to be more rare in the future vs now. Personally, I would be OK for 2 for 1 deals but our administration is not. They would have to be asked why that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Peer schools hosting P5 programs are doing so because of 2 for 1 deals or 3 for 1 deals with no payment for the times you go on the road. I guess I should have stated that I expect deals like that to be more rare in the future vs now. Personally, I would be OK for 2 for 1 deals but our administration is not. They would have to be asked why that is the case.
    2 for 1 deals should almost be expected

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I pulled up a few random sunbelt basketball schedules last night just to take a look and see how we compare and most look a lot like ours.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information