Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Football 2023:Vermilion 68, White 33

Default Re: Spring Football Starts 3-7-2023 (Question)

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Yes, you're right. I had to go back and look. Appendix.
    But at the end of the day, Zeon is getting extra reps. Lance Legendre is getting a load of work (which leads me to believe, this will get them even more comfortable using him in wildcat and other odd packages - might even become a staple of the offense, like TH in NOLA). We need to be as dynamic on offense as possible, so this, to me, is good news. I'm MUCH more interested in how the offensive line is developing.
    Appendix is now removed via orthoscopic surgery, barring complications. That is much less invasive than traditional surgery. Two weeks is plenty of recovery time if that is indeed how it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Maybe not a major concern for chandler. But to get the reps you need with all the young WR, TE, RBs in the passing game, going 3 and four deep, during spring with just one QB, his arm would fall off. Usually you are splitting those reps 3 or 4 ways. No way they can all be getting the work in needed during spring with just one guy. Please don’t tell me Des and the walk on QB from North Vermilion turned receiver is filling in because that makes no one better.
    I don't disagree with your assertion that it would ideal that Fields and another QB would be throwing to the young receivers, backs and tight ends. But, I don't think it's as major concern as you have stated for the following reasons:

1) Tavion Smith is the only new receiver in spring camp that was not here in the fall. All of the other skilled positions know the system and caught passes from all the QBs.

2) The extra reps for Zeon will only enhance his confidence and improve his performance.

3) They all will go through summer organized workouts with Fields and Zeon including 7-on-7. There will be plenty of reps for existing skilled athletes and the young freshmen this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I don't disagree with your assertion that it would ideal that Fields and another QB would be throwing to the young receivers, backs and tight ends. But, I don't think it's as major concern as you have stated for the following reasons:

1) Tavion Smith is the only new receiver in spring camp that was not here in the fall. All of the other skilled positions know the system and caught passes from all the QBs.

2) The extra reps for Zeon will only enhance his confidence and improve his performance.

3) They all will go through summer organized workouts with Fields and Zeon including 7-on-7. There will be plenty of reps for existing skilled athletes and the young freshmen this summer.
    Look at balls caught in games last year and see how many of those receivers are no longer here. Those are the ones that got the most meaningful reps from September through the bowl game. Summer player led workouts aren’t the same as spring ball reps. If spring reps didn’t matter to return players they’d only invite newcomers to participate only. You are greatly underestimating the importance of spring for guys that might have been on scout team last year and trying to earn playing time this year. It’s very simple way more reps needed than one QB can provide. Heck one can argue it’s more than 2 can handle. We all knew Ben was out, as soon as Herring and McDonald left they should have picked a QB up in the portal. We are a couple injuries away from being So. Miss 2 years ago. Or what if ZC gets some serious tenderness in his throwing elbow today and can’t throw the rest of spring? What do you do then? LL and a wildcat the rest of the way?

Look at balls caught in games last year and see how many of those receivers are no longer here. Those are the ones that got the most meaningful reps from September through the bowl game. Summer player led workouts aren’t the same as spring ball reps. If spring reps didn’t matter to return players they’d only invite newcomers to participate only. You are greatly underestimating the importance of spring for guys that might have been on scout team last year and trying to earn playing time this year. It’s very simple way more reps needed than one QB can provide. Heck one can argue it’s more than 2 can handle. We all knew Ben was out, as soon as Herring and McDonald left they should have picked a QB up in the portal. We are a couple injuries away from being So. Miss 2 years ago. Or what if ZC gets some serious tenderness in his throwing elbow today and can’t throw the rest of spring? What do you do then? LL and a wildcat the rest of the way?
    We got Mike Des, Jake D and the NV guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    We got Mike Des, Jake D and the NV guy.
    Let me know how many downs each will play on Saturday nights next fall.

IN ZEON WE TRUST!

I'm not underestimating Spring Patrice at all, but they are only 15 practices. You are only going to allow full gear in a hand full of partices during those 15 days, the rest will be shorts and shoulder pads. So, simulating live game action is limited. Instruction and work on technique didn't stop because they are down to one healthy QB. Summer workouts are now organized and begin in June and run through the end of July.

A number of receivers, backs and tight ends on the roster were not on the scout team even though they did not get many game reps. Who are the back besides Williams in the depth chart that were on the Scout team? Not a single one on scholarship played on the scout team due to injuries.

The Tight- End position again were Guidry, Johnson, Migl, Burrell and Carter practiced with the position on offense, although Carter didn't see much of any game reps.

The receiver position is the one obviously needs more depth, but Legrende, Bernard, Cambre, Carter, Robert Williams and LeBlanc all had game action during the season.

I don't dismiss your concerns out of hand. But I do disagree with your level of concern. Adapt and move on.

We knew for quite some time we'd be in this situation. It's mind boggling we haven't picked up another arm by now. We better hope and pray for no injuries or we are screwed.

And then theres this guy, who transfered from Lamar... red shirted..didn't play or dress...Big RB

Chaz Ward
    RB R-Jr. 6' 0'' 237 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    We knew for quite some time we'd be in this situation. It's mind boggling we haven't picked up another arm by now. We better hope and pray for no injuries or we are screwed.
    I agree with that. Especially since there are NO guarantees with anyone coming off an ACL and how that will heel. We have seen Chandler struggle to stay healthy. Can we count on Zeon to go the distance through out a complete season? Do you want to have to throw Lunch into the fire as a true freshman?

11. Default Re: Spring Football Starts 3-7-2023 (Question)

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    And then theres this guy, who transfered from Lamar... red shirted..didn't play or dress...Big RB

Chaz Ward
    RB R-Jr. 6' 0'' 237 lbs
    -------Lunch served in June!

With only 2 healthy QBs in camp ZC would have gotten all the reps he could stand in one spring practice. With only one QB healthy in spring it is over load for one QB to get every receiver every rep they need. Surely you’ve seen practice when they are running pass skels and team passing drills with the 1,2, and 3s all at once? It’s quick from group 1 to group 2 to group 3. It would be overload for 1 QB to handle all that. It might be good for ZC but someone is missing out on reps at other positions because of it. It is not good for the team as a whole at all.
    I’ve been through 2 spring and fall practices when I played here. Coaches, GA’s, managers and everyone that could throw a football will do so.

The reps for Chriss are vital.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I’ve been through 2 spring and fall practices when I played here. Coaches, GA’s, managers and everyone that could throw a football will do so.

How is that helping our depth problem?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post

Yes. Every one that can throw it does in working with DBs, linebackers…. GAs don’t run pass skel to work on timing with receivers. If one QB in spring was a good thing then we wouldn’t be the only team in America doing it. No coach in America has ever said having only one healthy QB is a good thing for his program at any time of the year spring summer or fall.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    How is that helping our depth problem?
    It isn’t. Anyone who thinks that having one QB healthy for an entire spring practice is a good thing done fell of their rocker.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information