Thread: 2-7 against ranked top 25 teams

UL Softball 2-7 against ranked top 25 teams

Will this improve or is this team just a good sunbelt team but not elite ncaa team? Prior to the season, I was led to believe this would be an elite team heading back to college world series. Not sure they will make it to a super regional.

Does this team have what it takes to improve?

2. Default Re: 2-7 against ranked top 25 teams

With 16 teams hosting there are still nine or more openings.

Until then . lots of work to do.

Default Re: 2-7 against ranked top 25 teams

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    Will this improve or is this team just a good sunbelt team but not elite ncaa team? Prior to the season, I was led to believe this would be an elite team heading back to college world series. Not sure they will make it to a super regional.

Nope. No way freshmen and sophomore players will improve at all.

They are certainly a top 25 team as they always are. Elite, no. There are only a handful of teams that you'd consider elite.

It stinks to see them struggle through this portion of the schedule.

UCF was technically a top 25 win, but they are 10-12 now after another tough weekend. So, really, we're more like 1-6 vs. ranked teams.

This weekend in Florida is really important. It's still early March, but a top 8 seed most certainly is out. Is there a path to host? Who knows. I just want to see them play against talented teams with consistency because we've not done that this year.

Even as deep as this roster is, the bats can be great and then go dormant for periods. Pitching has flashes of brilliance then it's a liability. Defense has made some outstanding plays then kicked it around pretty badly in key situations. Consistency is key.

Right now there is one elite team and a few very good teams.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post

Pitching is the key, similar to baseball at this point. Right now, both team's pitching is simply not good enough and needs to improve. But softball and baseball season's are a marathon and not a sprint. And as Coach Robe use to say, "the process can be ugly at times."

My perception is the pitching struggles are more mental than talent? I thought some of these freshman and sophomore pitchers were elite coming out of high school. What do the ragin pagin experts say?

Thread Information