Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Mardi Gras at Cajun Field

Default Re: Mardi Gras at Cajun Field

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    In the big picture, academics gets nothing without athletics.

The academic endowment would be 10% of what it is without Athletics driving the notoriety.
    Have a link for that?

2. Default Re: Mardi Gras at Cajun Field

Quote Originally Posted by lafman1 View Post
    Have a link for that?
    Ambassador Caffery's first donation was to Athletics.

Lamson didn't loiter in the classroom he loitered at athletic events.

Athletics is what led to R1 status, because no money goes to a school they never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTails View Post
    Yea, we do have the right to a say in LCG business dealings. Which is why we have city council meetings. I guess we should just bury our heads in the sand when our mayor president’s wife starts up an equipment rental company and hands out millions of dollars to a single contractor with no-bid contracts.

Just government agencies doing government business.

You’re dying on a weird hill.
    Don’t pay any attention to the man behind the curtain. Not your business

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Ambassador Caffery's first donation was to Athletics.

Lamson didn't loiter in the classroom he loitered at athletic events.

Athletics is what led to R1 status, because no money goes to a school they never heard of.
    Did you not see the $20 million donation?

5. Default Re: Mardi Gras at Cajun Field

Did you not see the $20 million donation?
    It did not happen in a vacuum, and, I don't think thsy should count the total (as this year) since its over a 10 year period.

Without athletics, UL would be no bigger than Louisiana College before they re-engaged with sports.

6. Default Re: Mardi Gras at Cajun Field

$2 million a year is nothing to sneeze at but it pales in comparison the notoriety fan investment brings the University.

Turbine. You know the university is more than just athletics.
    Correct. But athletics is the curb appeal. It is what everyone who isn't on campus every day sees the university as.

Turbine. You know the university is more than just athletics.
    It is, but unless you're Ivy League or Stanford, it's the #1 marketing tool for a university. You think people go to the school across the basin or Alabama just because of their academics?

It's been proven that student enrollment increases with athletic success.

I’ve said this before too. The ‘value’ is the price that the university and the customer agree on. Nothing more. It doesn’t matter what you or I think the price should be. It’s what the two parties negotiate. And it’s not our business.
    But I’ll tell you this too. Make an appointment with the president and tell him your concerns that outside entities shouldn’t be using Cajun field and your are inconvenienced by him doing so.
    I've spoken with the proper channels on this already. The answer I got was more of a "that's how we do things around here" type vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Correct. But athletics is the curb appeal. It is what everyone who isn't on campus every day sees the university as.
    Don't think Lafman it doesn't matter...just look at how App leveraged College Game Day to increases in enrollment and donations...sports matter

Again. What the university and the customer decide on is NOT your business. How many times do I have to say it?
    Here's where I think you are short sighted on this. Making this argument stand-alone doesn't take into account the fact that as boosters, we are all requested to make the athletic department and university stay afloat as well. So its all interconnected.

Look at it this way. Say you rent an office space in a building. The building owner comes to you and says that rent is going up by 10%. Reasons given include inflation, cost of maintenance, utilities, etc. Then you find out that the people who rent the floor directly below you are given a sweatheart deal that requires them to pay less than half what you do.

Is that your business? No. The fair market value is what the other people have agreed to, right?

But will that knowledge affect your thought process on the rental cost increases or even your desire to continue renting that office space? Heck yes it will.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Here's where I think you are short sighted on this. Making this argument stand-alone doesn't take into account the fact that as boosters, we are all requested to make the athletic department and university stay afloat as well. So its all interconnected.

Look at it this way. Say you rent an office space in a building. The building owner comes to you and says that rent is going up by 10%. Reasons given include inflation, cost of maintenance, utilities, etc. Then you find out that the people who rent the floor directly below you are given a sweatheart deal that requires them to pay less than half what you do.

Is that your business? No. The fair market value is what the other people have agreed to, right?

But will that knowledge affect your thought process on the rental cost increases or even your desire to continue renting that office space? Heck yes it will.
    Don’t feed the trolls.

13. Default Re: Mardi Gras at Cajun Field

I have all of the contracts for this year between the University and the Greater Southwest Louisiana Mardi Gras Association. There is a contract for rental of Blackham and French House exterior, and another contract for rental of Cajun Field parking lots.
    The association hasn’t turned in the revenue statement yet but I have requested it be sent to me when it becomes available.
    Thanks for finally being honest and letting everyone know who you are. All of your ramblings make perfect sense to those paying attention.

Like I said, you have something to lose here.

The contracts are terrible. You are stealing from the university. And the MH is allowing it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    It is, but unless you're Ivy League or Stanford, it's the #1 marketing tool for a university. You think people go to the school across the basin or Alabama just because of their academics?

It's been proven that student enrollment increases with athletic success.
    I’ve never said that athletics isn’t important as a marketing tool for the university.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Thanks for finally being honest and letting everyone know who you are. All of your ramblings make perfect sense to those paying attention.

Like I said, you have something to lose here.

The contracts are terrible. You are stealing from the university. And the MH is allowing it to happen.
    So Einstein, who am I? What do I have to lose? Come on, spit it out. What am I stealing from the university?

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 ... LastLast

Thread Information