Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: MAT does MBB

1. Default MAT does MBB

Went to the game Saturday night. First game since November of last year. Wish I could say it was some revelation that got us there, but the truth is, it was pure boredom (and free tickets).

My thoughts on the HC and the direction of the program are well documented, so no need to rehash. But if the goal is to be honest, call balls and strikes, hold people accountable and root for the health of the overall program, I think it's fair to say, Marlin and the basketball team "Won the Event" Saturday night.

It was one hell of a good atmosphere in the CD. Even though the crowd wasn't 5-6k, the 3500 that were there were absolutely electric. I can't remember a game (maybe the 13 game streak when JJ Thomas was here) that was that raucous. The crowd absolutely impacted the basketball game. Kudos to the fanbase for showing out.

Players and coaches... I'll try to be concise. That was the kind of game that mediocre teams lose and usually lose by a lot. The fight that the players demonstrated was something that this Ragin Cajun certainly appreciated. It was something to be proud of. Greg Williams was the difference maker I knew he could be. Jordan Brown was the Mariano Rivera that we know he is. Lewis was the glue, clean up guy that we've needed on this roster for years. Fulks showed composure and was a calming hand. Garnett hit the shots he had to hit. Joe Charles plays with his hair on fire and cares about winning SOOO much. You can't not love how that guy plays. The overall grit & resolve that the team as whole showed was something I've not seen in a cajuns basketball squad in a very long time.

And yes, credit to Bob Marlin. The defensive adjustment to press was exactly what needed to happen. When GATA did get into their half court set, we stayed man to man and pressed high. He fought for the calls that he needed to fight for and mostly didn't get too obnoxious. (Refs were awful btw - I know, shocker)

There are many problems plaguing our MBB program. For example: a popcorn, a small soda and a bottle of water should NEVER EVER NEVER cost $20. The band should never be mic'd up. The speakers on the main board should never assault the senses like they do in that building... And of course, there are many other things.

But for right now, I can put that aside and be interested in a group of dudes that just want to win. I'll be at the Dome Saturday to watch the Cajuns battle Marshall. Actually looking forward to it.

2. Default Re: MAT does MBB

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Went to the game Saturday night. First game since November of last year. Wish I could say it was some revelation that got us there, but the truth is, it was pure boredom (and free tickets).

My thoughts on the HC and the direction of the program are well documented, so no need to rehash. But if the goal is to be honest, call balls and strikes, hold people accountable and root for the health of the overall program, I think it's fair to say, Marlin and the basketball team "Won the Event" Saturday night.

It was one hell of a good atmosphere in the CD. Even though the crowd wasn't 5-6k, the 3500 that were there were absolutely electric. I can't remember a game (maybe the 13 game streak when JJ Thomas was here) that was that raucous. The crowd absolutely impacted the basketball game. Kudos to the fanbase for showing out.

Players and coaches... I'll try to be concise. That was the kind of game that mediocre teams lose and usually lose by a lot. The fight that the players demonstrated was something that this Ragin Cajun certainly appreciated. It was something to be proud of. Greg Williams was the difference maker I knew he could be. Jordan Brown was the Mariano Rivera that we know he is. Lewis was the glue, clean up guy that we've needed on this roster for years. Fulks showed composure and was a calming hand. Garnett hit the shots he had to hit. Joe Charles plays with his hair on fire and cares about winning SOOO much. You can't not love how that guy plays. The overall grit & resolve that the team as whole showed was something I've not seen in a cajuns basketball squad in a very long time.

And yes, credit to Bob Marlin. The defensive adjustment to press was exactly what needed to happen. When GATA did get into their half court set, we stayed man to man and pressed high. He fought for the calls that he needed to fight for and mostly didn't get too obnoxious. (Refs were awful btw - I know, shocker)

There are many problems plaguing our MBB program. For example: a popcorn, a small soda and a bottle of water should NEVER EVER NEVER cost $20. The band should never be mic'd up. The speakers on the main board should never assault the senses like they do in that building... And of course, there are many other things.

But for right now, I can put that aside and be interested in a group of dudes that just want to win. I'll be at the Dome Saturday to watch the Cajuns battle Marshall. Actually looking forward to it.
    nice

Default Re: MAT does MBB

Count me in for next Saturday against Marshall. Plus, I get to relive my childhood with the appearance of the Cajun Chicken.

If I can get my back squared away to make it up or down steps, I'm in too..

I’ll be out of town and will be forced to miss the game Saturday, which is killing me. The team is playing great and should attract at least 4000 and the Chicken should attract at least another 1000. So about 5000 fans in the dome ought to make for a fantastic atmosphere! Wish I could be there.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    If I can get my back squared away to make it up or down steps, I'm in too..
    Good luck with that! I haven't had back issues in quite a few years , but I still remember how it felt, and how it impacted my movement.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Good luck with that! I haven't had back issues in quite a few years , but I still remember how it felt, and how it impacted my movement.
    L3, 4, 5...

Who knows, Saturday could be a “open the third level” event. The guys need to stuff Marsha, Marsha, Marsha.

Need to focus first on Texas State on Thursday first.

MAT, I haven’t bought any concessions at MBB in 2+ years. Tried Saturday, there is no conceivable reason to have multiple lines 8 to 10 deep approaching the first media TO of the second half. Not only are the prices financially out of line, there’s a high probability many of those in line missed a lot of the game, the basic reason for being there. Can’t make fans of the game if they’re stuck in line.

Ended up buying overpriced water from a beer vendor elsewhere.

$4.75 for a bottle of water is flat out robbery.

I know we have a group of minimum 5 going and may bring more. Gonna pre game beforehand. The games I've been to this year have been a lot of fun and I expect this one to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Who knows, Saturday could be a “open the third level” event. The guys need to stuff Marsha, Marsha, Marsha.
    I sure hope so but I doubt it. Lafayette is too cool for Cajun sports. But who knows? We win Thursday and get to 9 straight with the Cajun Chicken coming back? No reason to not have 6k there. This team is fun. They play hard and don’t fold under a little controversy. Don’t wait till Saturday, go Thursday and support them against texas state. Then make Saturday extra special.

11. Default Re: MAT does MBB

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post

Need to focus first on Texas State on Thursday first.

MAT, I haven’t bought any concessions at MBB in 2+ years. Tried Saturday, there is no conceivable reason to have multiple lines 8 to 10 deep approaching the first media TO of the second half. Not only are the prices financially out of line, there’s a high probability many of those in line missed a lot of the game, the basic reason for being there. Can’t make fans of the game if they’re stuck in line.

Ended up buying overpriced water from a beer vendor elsewhere.
    From now on, it's peanuts only for me. Popcorn I think was $7. And it was trash popcorn. I didn't eat half of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    From now on, it's peanuts only for me. Popcorn I think was $7. And it was trash popcorn. I didn't eat half of it.
    I NEVER buy concessions at the Dome. Being a Rebounders club member does have one perk associated with that issue. There is a pregame social prior to every game in the Table Room. Snacks are provided and usually something like jambalaya is also served. Soft drinks and beer are also available. With the cost of concessions, the membership cost just about pays for itself compared to what you would pay for buying food/drinks at the Dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I NEVER buy concessions at the Dome. Being a Rebounders club member does have one perk associated with that issue. There is a pregame social prior to every game in the Table Room. Snacks are provided and usually something like jambalaya is also served. Soft drinks and beer are also available. With the cost of concessions, the membership cost just about pays for itself compared to what you would pay for buying food/drinks at the Dome.
    I don't really eat at the dome as I find that most of the food has really gone down quality wise especially when you factor in the costs, however, I have to get a dome foam or two!

14. Default Re: MAT does MBB

So Mike, let’s project this thought.
    You’re a typical young father. Your 6,8, and 3 year olds want something from the concessions. What do you do, tell them to suck it up, and be quiet, or overspend and miss too much game.

IMO it’s never kosher to project your situation onto others. Clearly UL and Dome management could care less. That’s an unfortunate truth that we’re killing our saplings.

15. Default Re: MAT does MBB

Speaking of the Table Room.. What a waste of an investment. They spent a ton to renovate that space. It's only open to Rebounder Club members prior to basketball games? If so, whose idea was that? Talk about a negative ROI.

That area should be open to all fans, at least 2 hours before and after every game around the complex. It should be used as a recruiting tool for tailgating, especially.

Why do we hate money?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information