Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MAT does MBB

Default Re: MAT does MBB

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Who knows, Saturday could be a “open the third level” event. The guys need to stuff Marsha, Marsha, Marsha.

Need to focus first on Texas State on Thursday first.

MAT, I haven’t bought any concessions at MBB in 2+ years. Tried Saturday, there is no conceivable reason to have multiple lines 8 to 10 deep approaching the first media TO of the second half. Not only are the prices financially out of line, there’s a high probability many of those in line missed a lot of the game, the basic reason for being there. Can’t make fans of the game if they’re stuck in line.

Ended up buying overpriced water from a beer vendor elsewhere.

$4.75 for a bottle of water is flat out robbery.
    Zoom,
    I 100% agree that the prices are robbery.

However, having gone to the concession stand a couple of times Saturday night, I did not miss much action.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    What if you buy them at the window? Do the fees still apply?
    They are about 20 for a pair at the window

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    They are about 20 for a pair at the window
    I think there is a discount next Saturday. $7/ for the cheapest tickets. Gotta get a few for some family in town that night.

No fees at the window.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I have tickets on the west side/behind the team benches, section 109. I park in lot C, so never walk thru the main doors. Didn't even know about the Table Room! I do agree, it should be open to anyone that has a ticket. For 7:00 PM games, it could open at 6:00 and close at 10:00, or earlier if there's no customers around after the game. Seems like a no-brainer.
    It used to open to the public in the past when Rebounders used another space in the dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    I think there is a discount next Saturday. $7/ for the cheapest tickets. Gotta get a few for some family in town that night.
    I called the Cajun Dome box office and they don't know anything about the $7 tickets. I would like to bring my 7 grandchildren and Daughter and SIL. They said on the phone that the lowest priced tickets were $13 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I called the Cajun Dome box office and they don't know anything about the $7 tickets. I would like to bring my 7 grandchildren and Daughter and SIL. They said on the phone that the lowest priced tickets were $13 each.
    Maybe I was dreaming when I read that, LOL

8. Default Re: MAT does MBB

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post

The fowlest of the fowl is back, for a one-night roost at the Cajundome.

For nearly two decades, the Fabulous Cajun Chicken delighted Ragin' Cajun athletic audiences with his unique brand of comedy, his never-ending list of characters and the level of zaniness he brought to his sideline and on-court antics.

On Saturday, Feb. 4, when UL's basketball squad takes on Marshall at 7 p.m. in a key Sun Belt Conference game, the Chicken will make a one-night return to the court. It's a good bet that mayhem will result.

That night is also Senior Night, when UL coach Bob Marlin and the Cajun program honors the senior members of the 2022-23 basketball squad. For the Fabulous Cajun Chicken, that's almost fitting.

"When I heard it was senior night," said the Chicken (a.k.a. Russell Heim in real-life), "I said, great, I'm a senior citizen now, so I thought it was nice to be honored like that."

Heim won't be one of the Cajun seniors honored in pregame activities, but he'll definitely be part of the show as he brings some of his classic skits back to life after an absence of nearly 20 years. The Fabulous Cajun Chicken made his debut back in Blackham Coliseum in 1984, and followed the Cajun basketball team to the Cajundome two years later.

During that two-decade run, the Chicken became a staple with his unique time-out sketches, satires and sendups, along with antics both on the end lines and in the stands during games. Whether it be impersonating entertainers and other celebrities, eavesdropping on opposing teams' huddles during time outs, or bedeviling an "unsuspecting" game official, the Chicken never failed to draw a laugh while also getting home crowds solidly behind the UL squad.

Heim made regular appearances at many UL athletic events, but it was basketball and its unique opportunities to be up-close and at courtside that provided his fowl alter-ego with opportunities for interaction with fans of all ages.

"The best part of what I did was seeing the kids' faces," Heim said. "I don't know how many people I've talked to over the years that told me how much their children loved watching the Chicken, and how much it added to the game for both the parents and the children. Now, those kids will have the chance to bring their own children to the game, and hopefully there will be some grandparents that remember the fun and will come out with their families."

The Chicken, of course, does not age. Heim, however, now qualifies for Medicare and has had both knees surgically repaired. Which begs the question: Can Chicken Michael Jackson still moonwalk? Can the Chicken still move the pelvis like Elvis? Can the Grim Reaper still carry the scythe that spelled impending doom for the visiting team?

"I guess people will have to come and find out," the Chicken said.

In addition to the festivities of Senior Night, UL will also have special ticket deals in place for the Feb. 4 game.

If you open the press release and hit the link at the end it shows $7 tickets

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    So, I'm NOT crazy. Whew.

More USLing it.

Thanks, I found that now, but it is a shame you cannot buy them at the box office and save 14.95 in fees.

End zone seats are 7.50 at the box office. They are also 7.50 on Ticketmaster but you pay the fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Thanks, I found that now, but it is a shame you cannot buy them at the box office and save 14.95 in fees.
    All the more reason to build a new building without any intergovernmental agreements and let the dome stand alone. I love the falling brick at the exterior NW corner, the water accumulation during a rain storm at a post on the east side near 109 stairs, or watermarks on various walls in the concourse. Anyone catch the blue FEMA tarp on the platform above the centercourt scoreboard? Water is the great silent destroyer. But this is a discussion for another day.

Maybe dem high TM charges are being used to buy some of dat Flex Sealmais!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Went to the game Saturday night. First game since November of last year. Wish I could say it was some revelation that got us there, but the truth is, it was pure boredom (and free tickets).

My thoughts on the HC and the direction of the program are well documented, so no need to rehash. But if the goal is to be honest, call balls and strikes, hold people accountable and root for the health of the overall program, I think it's fair to say, Marlin and the basketball team "Won the Event" Saturday night.

It was one hell of a good atmosphere in the CD. Even though the crowd wasn't 5-6k, the 3500 that were there were absolutely electric. I can't remember a game (maybe the 13 game streak when JJ Thomas was here) that was that raucous. The crowd absolutely impacted the basketball game. Kudos to the fanbase for showing out.

Players and coaches. I'll try to be concise. That was the kind of game that mediocre teams lose and usually lose by a lot. The fight that the players demonstrated was something that this Ragin Cajun certainly appreciated. It was something to be proud of. Greg Williams was the difference maker I knew he could be. Jordan Brown was the Mariano Rivera that we know he is. Lewis was the glue, clean up guy that we've needed on this roster for years. Fulks showed composure and was a calming hand. Garnett hit the shots he had to hit. Joe Charles plays with his hair on fire and cares about winning SOOO much. You can't not love how that guy plays. The overall grit & resolve that the team as whole showed was something I've not seen in a cajuns basketball squad in a very long time.

And yes, credit to Bob Marlin. The defensive adjustment to press was exactly what needed to happen. When GATA did get into their half court set, we stayed man to man and pressed high. He fought for the calls that he needed to fight for and mostly didn't get too obnoxious. (Refs were awful btw - I know, shocker)

There are many problems plaguing our MBB program. For example: a popcorn, a small soda and a bottle of water should NEVER EVER NEVER cost $20. The band should never be mic'd up. The speakers on the main board should never assault the senses like they do in that building. And of course, there are many other things.

But for right now, I can put that aside and be interested in a group of dudes that just want to win. I'll be at the Dome Saturday to watch the Cajuns battle Marshall. Actually looking forward to it.
    That's cool that you were able to go, sounds fun. Spent friday evening at my local high school watching the basketball teams play a local rival. For some reason there is no announcer. Some dude announced the starting lineups but that was really it. As for crowd noise, there really wasn't much hype. These Colorado people are pretty lame LOL.

Good thing is I had fun, concessions/tickets weren't ridiculously expensive, and I'm going to make a report about the games, now that I'm in the high school's newspaper club. I was fortunate to get a sportswriting role, so that's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    End zone seats are 7.50 at the box office. They are also 7.50 on Ticketmaster but you pay the fees.
    Not doubting you, but if that is true, then the lady I talked to at the box office did not know it. She said the cheapest tickets are $13.00. I just called earlier today. She did say that when there is a promotion sometimes the fans know about it before the box office.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information