Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Thread: MBB Final: Louisiana 72, Troy 57

1. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 72, Troy 57

We are fifth out of 14 teams in the Sun Belt conference in attendance right now. I’d like to know where we stand against all other mid-majors. I would assume we would be towards the top half of non P5 schools. If not much higher. I know we’re not thrilled with the numbers in attendance as they are right now, but considering the state of division one basketball, I don’t think it’s as terrible as we’re making it out to be.

UL Basketball Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 72, Troy 57

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    We are fifth out of 14 teams in the Sun Belt conference in attendance right now. I’d like to know where we stand against all other mid-majors. I would assume we would be towards the top half of non P5 schools. If not much higher. I know we’re not thrilled with the numbers in attendance as they are right now, but considering the state of division one basketball, I don’t think it’s as terrible as we’re making it out to be.
    #151 out of 368 total teams. You would have to go to the site to determine ranking among non P5s.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

Rank/Institution/Conference/Accum Attendance/Avg Attendance/Stadium Capacity/Pct Capacity/Games
    151 Louisiana Sun Belt 23,241 2,905 12,362 23.50 8

Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 72, Troy 57

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I know three of the four teams ahead of us are in West Virginia and Virginia. Basketball means much more to people in that area than in does here. Cost is another factor in our program right now. The ticket master fees and CajunDome concession prices are keeping many people away. Hopefully something can be done about that when contracts are renewed. I know someone who paid 16 dollars for one beer and a water last night. Many people can't afford that. Also, I know some people who dropped their tickets during Covid. They started doing other things and never came back. When you speak to them, neither the team play nor the coach is an issue. They now just prefer to pursue their new interest and often watch on ESPN plus. That happened in football too.

One more point. People who have gone to games this year all say that they enjoy the way the players seems to have a team first mentality. They play hard, celebrate each other's success, and encourage their teammates when things go bad. I think that describes what Coach Robe used to call "chemistry". I know of no one who has gone to a game and did not leave entertained. I admit that was not always the case the last couple of seasons. Granted, they may not have been happy with what they had to pay for that entertainment. That is a different issue.

5. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 72, Troy 57

. . . last nights game was fun . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    . . . I agree . . . this was a discussion . . .
    My comments were part of the "discussion" as well. I just wanted to point out that some of the posters who are "discussing" bad attendance do not attend anyway and really don't have a dog in the hunt. I have seen these same people say they would not go until a coach is fired. Fine, they can stay home, but own your part in the attendance problem instead of "commenting" how bad it is for the 3000+- who showed up.

Look, I wasn't sure Marlin shouldn't have been gone a couple of years ago. That said, I am getting up in age and I cannot afford to protest and lose years of entertainment I get from watching a good team, and to be honest about it, his future employment will depend on his performance of the team on the court, not fan dislike.

Now I have "discussed" my views. If you disagree fine

Last night's crowd. Unlike football, the tickets we are selling in basketball don't make us look bad on a national scale. That's a positive for MBB. However, this isn't a camera angles thing. The Dome looks empty because the Dome IS empty.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Basketball is the ultimate TV sport.
    Casual fan would disagree, all sports are great on tv.

Actually, Foote nailed it this AM. Basketball, both pro and college, was best in the 80’s. I may not 100% agree with him, but I think his point is valid.

Magic/Bird, the birth (and later a detriment) of ESPN/Big East, CBS and the NCAA Tournament, vasectomies biggest day was the Wednesday of the first round (really, no joke), and the now mid majors were given a fair chance.

Now we have NBA players colluding to making super teams, political commentary and actions (sports for many is a distraction from news/politics), the NCAA tournament is controlled where the NIT is used as a consolation prize for mid majors who lose their tournaments, a mid major NCAA at large is a unicorn, the power conferences dominate the at large berths in both the NCAA and NIT tournaments, and the phrase mid-major is accepted by those being suppressed by it.

And buy in tournaments are an insulting joke.

It’s all perspective…we just have a ton of dead space for today’s market.

Attached Images Attached Images    

I feel like when the dome renovation was first completed, the lighting during the games was concentrated more on just the floor (I.e. Madison square garden during knicks game). That doesn’t help attendance , but does for appearance on the plus. Anyone else remember it that way?

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    I feel like when the dome renovation was first completed, the lighting during the games was concentrated more on just the floor (I.e. Madison square garden during knicks game). That doesn’t help attendance , but does for appearance on the plus. Anyone else remember it that way?
    You are correct. I was just thinking about this during the last game. Lots of good in-game changes they made in the dome simply disappeared in the last couple of years.

Cool bar above one of the baselines - gone

Dim lighting in the stands - gone

Court side clubs - gone

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    You are correct. I was just thinking about this during the last game. Lots of good in-game changes they made in the dome simply disappeared in the last couple of years.

Cool bar above one of the baselines - gone

Dim lighting in the stands - gone

Court side clubs - gone
    Thanks a lot Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    It’s all perspective…we just have a ton of dead space for today’s market.
    I guess its all about context. I don't look at those photos and say its empty. I mean, the dome is huge and in one sentence I guess you are correct as none of the 3rd section is being touched but that's not a terrible basketball crowd in general especially when you see the numbers behind the goals.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Thread Information