Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    If Jordon Brown will stay another year, I think having Marlin here is required regardless. Jordon is a once in a generation talent who is giving the Cajuns a lot of notoriety. I believe if Coach Marlin is fired the decision will be easy for Brown. I know this is coming out of left field and I have no inside information, but I would love to see Brown play his last season of eligibility here.

Regardless of the above, if the Cajuns continue to perform as they have so far, there is no way they fire Coach Marlin. No school would.

But hey, what do I know? I am just an outsider.
    Once in a generation talent? Get out of here with that.

2. Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

NBA bound . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    JB is a very talented player sty with growth potential. First I doubt he’s coming back. He’d be out of eligibility if not for Covid. As to Marlin, no coach should be retained for at most a one year player. He’s gotta be retained on the body of work.

The only basketball post season I consider legitimate are the NIT, and NCAA. If he makes either this year he’s 3 of 14. That’s less than 25%. His best regular season finish is a third, and first place. Those aren’t in my mind consistently competing for a championship except in the most liberal meaning of the word competing for. He’s consistently been a middle of the pack regular season coach. He’s never had a terrible season either. He’s long in the tooth, but his players who stay seem to love him.

Finally, and maybe it’s not his fault, we’ve been losing fans throughout his tenure. Without something big I doubt that reverses.

I personally believe he should have to win a regular season championship, or finish high and win the tournament championship to be retained. But not with a 4 year deal unless the buyout is cheap.
    He also hasn't done anything to embarrass the program which T-Joe likes.

Default Re: Basketball today Jan 21

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    What he's saying is that the program has a focus on winning the conference championship and then the conference tournament. ONLY winning the conference tournament is defeatist thinking and flawed in nature. You can't throw ____ against the wall all season and hope something sticks just in time to win 3 or 4 games to get you into the NCAA tournament. Good programs put a focus on winning all the time. Not sure how hard this is for you to grasp.
    Sure we want to win all the time. The bottom line is only one team from the belt will go to the dance regardless if they win most or all of the time.

5. Default Re: Basketball today Jan 21

Quote Originally Posted by JMV JustMyView View Post
    Sure we want to win all the time. The bottom line is only one team from the belt will go to the dance regardless if they win most or all of the time.
    Of course it’s possible, not this season, that we could have a team that schedules strong enough and wins enough to make the tournament on their own. That team would probably have to lose in the final and still warrant a 12 seed.

Gill has thrown out the scheduling challenge to the league for a multi bid league.

Once in a generation talent? Get out of here with that.
    Tell me when we have had a player who was averaging 19 PPG this late in the season. I will wait. He has made every other big in our league look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Of course it’s possible, not this season, that we could have a team that schedules strong enough and wins enough to make the tournament on their own. That team would probably have to lose in the final and still warrant a 12 seed.

Gill has thrown out the scheduling challenge to the league for a multi bid league.
    With our schedule we will never be one of those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Tell me when we have had a player who was averaging 19 PPG this late in the season. I will wait. He has made every other big in our league look silly.
    The sun belt league overall is soft. I am not sure you know what a once in a generation talent is.

Wanting to win all the time and playing with the focus and execution required to win all the time are different things. We played sloppy, lackadaisical ball for 80% of the season last year and dug ourselves a hole that we ultimately could not climb out of in the conference tournament. Hoping to catch fire in the tournament while playing unfocused basketball for the majority of the season COULD work, but it's much more likely to get you a once in a decade bid. We have a coach who has gotten us one bid in a decade. Winning the tournament on a somewhat consistent basis is VERY UNLIKELY to happen for an "only 4 games matter" program. Luckily for Cajun fans, this team thus far does not seem to be a "we'll see you in the tournament and only in the tournament type" type of squad. Somewhat rare for a Marlin team. 1st place finish would be only the 2nd in 13 years. Top 3 would be only the 3rd in 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Wanting to win all the time and playing with the focus and execution required to win all the time are different things. We played sloppy, lackadaisical ball for 80% of the season last year and dug ourselves a hole that we ultimately could not climb out of in the conference tournament. Hoping to catch fire in the tournament while playing unfocused basketball for the majority of the season COULD work, but it's much more likely to get you a once in a decade bid. We have a coach who has gotten us one bid in a decade. Winning the tournament on a somewhat consistent basis is VERY UNLIKELY to happen for an "only 4 games matter" program. Luckily for Cajun fans, this team thus far does not seem to be a "we'll see you in the tournament and only in the tournament type" type of squad. Somewhat rare for a Marlin team. 1st place finish would be only the 2nd in 13 years. Top 3 would be only the 3rd in 13 years.
    Bottom line when the money is on the line you better be playing your best ball. We will see if that is the case this season come tournament time. If they don't make the dance then no matter how many wins they have the season is considered a disappointment.

11. Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

we have to start somewhere . . .

Bottom line when the money is on the line you better be playing your best ball. We will see if that is the case this season come tournament time. If they don't make the dance then no matter how many wins they have the season is considered a disappointment.
    For some. I would venture to say even most. Not for me. For me the biggest disappointment in the Marlin era was not the 2017-2018 squad missing the tournament. It was the fact that none of the momentum in that season was maintained, and the program returned to mediocrity and worse in the 4 years following. The 2017-2018 success was used as an excuse for failures in later years with Marlin making comments about “playing with a target on our back after winning 27 games” instead of as a building block for elevating the program.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    For some. I would venture to say even most. Not for me. For me the biggest disappointment in the Marlin era was not the 2017-2018 squad missing the tournament. It was the fact that none of the momentum in that season was maintained, and the program returned to mediocrity and worse in the 4 years following. The 2017-2018 success was used as an excuse for failures in later years with Marlin making comments about “playing with a target on our back after winning 27 games” instead of as a building block for elevating the program.
    Oh I get it. If the Cajuns just win a bunch of games and not win the conference or the conference tournament and don't participate in any kind of post season you will not be disappointed? You would be the only one not disappointed.

Oh I get it. If the Cajuns just win a bunch of games and not win the conference or the conference tournament and don't participate in any kind of post season you will not be disappointed? You would be the only one not disappointed.
    I would have feelings of disappointment in the moment if we didn’t make the NCAA tournament and finished 1st in the league. I had the same for the 2017-2018 season. I wanted to win the tournament and we didn’t. That does not make the season objectively a disappointment. That season could have still been a huge success for our program if we did something with it. Unfortunately we flushed that momentum with a quickness.

A lot of people are tournament or bust. I’m just not one of them. I also think Marlin should be retained if he wins the regular season title.

15. Default Re: Basketball today Jan 21

With our schedule we will never be one of those teams.
    Never ain’t happening. We’re and all are being required to upgrade. That alone will upgrade everyone’s power rating.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information