Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 182

Thread: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

  1. #151

    Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

    2 of our last 4 games were against teams missing there best players. USA Kevin Samuel and Texas State mason Harrell.


  2. #152

    Default Re: Basketball today Jan 21

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    When this team plays as they did the previous 3 games vs. ULM, USA and Ark state, their game was a thing of beauty. Great ball movement, backdoor cuts, beautiful assists, and great outside shooting. That is what we haven't had in the past and why we haven't won. Then, against Texas State, we resorted to our old game, isolation basketball, dribbling endlessly with bad passes and turnovers, little ball movement, forced shots. We overcame that to win, but Marlin never stops play and says enough, quit the one on one game and get back to playing team basketball. We finally have some great shooters instead of a bunch of athletes who can dunk the ball. This is a fun team to watch when they are ON. Not so fun when they are OFF because of what he allows them to resort to. That is Marlin's Achille's heel and he never seems to realize when it has taken over a game, stop play and make the correction. He just let's them play a game that looks like street ball. We win some games despite this because of a weak schedule, but good teams beat us. Play our game and we win the conference and a bid to the NCAA tournament. Resort to old play and we won't make it out of the conference tournament.
    The reason the offense looked so poor at times on Saturday was simply because of the missed free throws. At one time we were 5 of 17 from the line. A normal performance there and the Cajuns have this game in hand halfway through the second half. At that point, the Bobcats would have been forced to play faster which would have been to the Cajuns advantage. Three pointers were also not falling Saturday and they were open looks. The Cajuns only had 8 turnovers on Saturday which is one of the best marks in that category all year. It may have looked like more due to the game being played at a slower pace. They also had the best defensive performance of the year against a team that goes late into the shot clock on every offensive possession. You have to win in different ways and Saturday the defense led the way.

  3. #153

    Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Scheduling sucks. But if UL canít get more creative than flipping 6 or 7 SWAC games or starts H/H with SWAC teams Iím out. That was the line in the sand with Fletcher and still is for me today. Scheduling a league, who today, has half their teams with a lower net ranking than the SBCís worst team is stupid. Itís bad enough we have McLeast and UNO, bottom 10% teams on the schedule. So why add teams that drag your program further down? The MAC deal is ESPN just keeping us in our place, two one bid leagues battling it out gains nothing.
    I don't think we will have many home and home games with SWAC teams. I am presuming we will resort to paying them due to our problem with getting home and home teams with other teams in the area. Schools like Lamar, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin and other state teams have refused to play us home and home in the past. Therefore, I am not optimistic they will agree to do so going forward. Of course we should be playing schools like Rice, North Texas, and UAB on home and home deals. They also refuse and I don't know why.

  4. #154

    Default Re: Basketball today Jan 21

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Weíre losing our star player so probably a rebuilding. Expect mediocrity.
    A rebuild next year would not surprise me. However, nothing can be done about that now. At this stage focus should be on supporting the current group. They have done well to date and while I don't assume that will continue at the current pace, I am confident of of a couple of things. That is they will continue to prepare properly and no one will put their own success ahead of the team. You can do all that but still lose any particular game if your opponent has a hot night or if your shots don't fall. As far as end of the season melt down goes, that did not happen at the end of last year. They actually improved in the last couple of weeks. There is still room for improvement with this group and it is likely needed to reach their goals.

  5. #155

    Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I don't think we will have many home and home games with SWAC teams. I am presuming we will resort to paying them due to our problem with getting home and home teams with other teams in the area. Schools like Lamar, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin and other state teams have refused to play us home and home in the past. Therefore, I am not optimistic they will agree to do so going forward. Of course we should be playing schools like Rice, North Texas, and UAB on home and home deals. They also refuse and I don't know why.
    I think AFA Rice and company we donít bring any value to the table NET wise. NW State I think just got a new coach in the last year or so; had a lifer retire if I recall. That might open up. Other than maybe a few butts in the seat, state schools donít move the attendance needle, much less the NET needle.

    Itís a Catch-22 situation of epic proportions. And weíre not alone.

  6. #156

    Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I think AFA Rice and company we don’t bring any value to the table NET wise. NW State I think just got a new coach in the last year or so; had a lifer retire if I recall. That might open up. Other than maybe a few butts in the seat, state schools don’t move the attendance needle, much less the NET needle.

    It’s a Catch-22 situation of epic proportions. And we’re not alone.
    Good post there. However, state D1 schools and SWAC teams are still better for the team than playing 3 non D1 schools. We probably will still play one going foward and perhaps 2 as they like playing Loyola as they force you to to prepare properly. We could have 15 home games with 2 non D1's as I think the requirement will be 13 D1 games. I am not certain of that but I recall hearing that no. being mentioned somewhere. You could then play 16 on the road if you get into a 3 game MTE. That allows you to play 2 more than 29.

  7. #157

    Default Re: Basketball today Jan 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    A rebuild next year would not surprise me. However, nothing can be done about that now. At this stage focus should be on supporting the current group. They have done well to date and while I don't assume that will continue at the current pace, I am confident of of a couple of things. That is they will continue to prepare properly and no one will put their own success ahead of the team. You can do all that but still lose any particular game if your opponent has a hot night or if your shots don't fall. As far as end of the season melt down goes, that did not happen at the end of last year. They actually improved in the last couple of weeks. There is still room for improvement with this group and it is likely needed to reach their goals.
    Next year will be tough, I think no matter who is the coach, the portal will be hit hard. You are losing probably Jordan Brown and definitely Greg Williams, Terrance Lewis, Jalen Dalcourt. That is 3 starters and one of your off the bench guys.

    Hopefully Kobe improves health wise and Joe Charles will take some of those minutes as he continues to get better and better, but it is hard to replace those 4 guys from the roster we have right now.

    I assume that Marlin (if he is the coach next year, and based on this year I see no reason why he would not be) will be in the portal hard during the offseason.

  8. #158

    Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    We are not talking about professional ability. When you say someone is a once in a generation talent, that is talking about a level of a guy like Lebron James or Kobe Bryant, lol. No doubt JB will play professionally although I see it being more in Europe or something like that.
    The Cajuns are not the NBA. We are a NCAA mid major team and what I meant by my statement was for the Cajuns. He is player with seldom seen talent. He was a 5 star player and a McDonald's All American. He is currently averaging over 19 PPG. He plays like the best big man the Cajuns have had since Southall (who could not stay eligible) or Long. You can debate on whether Shawn Long was better. That is why I said he is a once in a generational player. I am talking about the Ragin Cajuns not the NBA.

  9. #159

    Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

    Hasn’t been a generation since Long. But let’s not quibble he’s a rare commodity in SBC


  10. #160

    Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

    Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    The Cajuns are not the NBA. We are a NCAA mid major team and what I meant by my statement was for the Cajuns. He is player with seldom seen talent. He was a 5 star player and a McDonald's All American. He is currently averaging over 19 PPG. He plays like the best big man the Cajuns have had since Southall (who could not stay eligible) or Long. You can debate on whether Shawn Long was better. That is why I said he is a once in a generational player. I am talking about the Ragin Cajuns not the NBA.
    My response was not an NBA related response. I used those examples as that is what a "generational" player is. One who's talents are not common and often not seen for decades. I'm not trying to diminish his skills and accomplishments but I just thought the term used to describe him is more hyperbole than accurate. Obviously, I think JB is an excellent player but the two players you mentioned along side him are in his generation and you even said its arguable to suggest they might be better. Just Saying

  11. Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

    Brown will play at the next level . . .


  12. #162

    Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

    As bad as it may seem here some days, the stAte message board has guys counting down the losses to a “magic number” which, once reached, caps the number of wins Balado can have, which cuts his buyout in half, unless they then win the SBC tournament. That’s just wrong to celebrate losses by your program.

    Interesting read…sounds like this place sometimes. They love their administration too…and they have a big deficit too.

    https://247sports.com/college/arkans...335086/?page=1


  13. #163

    Default Re: MBB Final Louisiana 60, Texas State 51

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    As bad as it may seem here some days, the stAte message board has guys counting down the losses to a “magic number” which, once reached, caps the number of wins Balado can have, which cuts his buyout in half, unless they then win the SBC tournament. That’s just wrong to celebrate losses by your program.

    Interesting read…sounds like this place sometimes. They love their administration too…and they have a big deficit too.

    https://247sports.com/college/arkans...335086/?page=1
    He hasn’t had 13 years of not cutting it. In the SBC extreme success gets you a bigger gig, extreme failure the pink slip. Then there’s the Goldilocks Big Fis, and Richard numbers 1&2 all time winner records.

  14. #164

    Default Re: Basketball today Jan 21

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    The reason the offense looked so poor at times on Saturday was simply because of the missed free throws. At one time we were 5 of 17 from the line. A normal performance there and the Cajuns have this game in hand halfway through the second half. At that point, the Bobcats would have been forced to play faster which would have been to the Cajuns advantage. Three pointers were also not falling Saturday and they were open looks. The Cajuns only had 8 turnovers on Saturday which is one of the best marks in that category all year. It may have looked like more due to the game being played at a slower pace. They also had the best defensive performance of the year against a team that goes late into the shot clock on every offensive possession. You have to win in different ways and Saturday the defense led the way.
    The missed free throws made a huge difference, no doubt. And, we did find a way to win, so we are to be commended for that. We beat an inferior team while we resorted to what most Marlin teams seem to do and he didn't stop and correct that. It was a gutty performance and I'll take the win. We need to get back to team basketball and ball movement or we won't be so fortunate against better teams.

  15. #165

    Default Re: Basketball today Jan 21

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    The missed free throws made a huge difference, no doubt. And, we did find a way to win, so we are to be commended for that. We beat an inferior team while we resorted to what most Marlin teams seem to do and he didn't stop and correct that. It was a gutty performance and I'll take the win. We need to get back to team basketball and ball movement or we won't be so fortunate against better teams.
    The upcoming games against Marshall and JMU will tell us all we need to know

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. BB G3 Final: Louisiana 2, Texas State 6
    By Turbine in forum BASEBALL
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2021, 03:28 pm
  2. BB G2 Final: Louisiana 9, Texas State 0
    By Turbine in forum BASEBALL
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: May 1st, 2021, 07:03 pm
  3. BB G1 Final: Louisiana 3, Texas State 9
    By Turbine in forum BASEBALL
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: May 1st, 2021, 12:57 pm
  4. MBB Final: Louisiana 80, Texas State 55
    By NewsCopy in forum Basketball-M
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2018, 07:29 am
  5. Final: Louisiana ( 48 ) vs Texas State ( 24 )
    By Turbine in forum FOOTBALL
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: October 8th, 2013, 11:53 am

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •