Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Say goodbye to mid majors

Default Re: Say goodbye to mid majors

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    He’s not going to say anything and he doesn’t need to. Sounds like Florida’s NIL collective quite literally wrote a check that they couldn’t cash. And I don’t know about you, but if I enter into a business agreement with someone and the agreed upon payment doesn’t materialize, I’m walking too.
    “couldnt” or changed their mind and “didnt want to” anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Well, this may be a harbinger of things to come. Looks like too much money and ego are not good. This is going to even divide the P-5s. From The Athletic.
    Texas A&M has lost 25 scholarship players in one offseason. Eighteen were blue-chip recruits. Eight were top-100 recruits, including five-stars Denver Harris and Chris Marshall. Seven were freshmen from their top-ranked 2022 recruiting class. Fascinating dynamic at A&M now.
    john feinstein should write a book about that!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    If it is not reeled back in, they will create a de facto Minor League system for the NFL of about 20 or so organizations that have the resources and the will to do this. At some point, those schools will create a new "conference" that is Nation Wide, completely untethered to the NCAA.

The rest of us will settle into a system that is governed by the NCAA with reasonable caps on NIL and stricter transfer rules to protect competition.

That would be ok with me.
    in other words “select” or “non select”?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    The NCAA is powerless to cap NIL since the United Supreme Court and has spoken as such on the issue . . .
    but they could enforce it, it has to provide an “N” or an “I” or an “L” to promote something, hopefully of value…. a “collective” has no product, isnt that what they used to accuse ponzi schemes of, having no product?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    At some point Universities will be in a predicament with their boosters, do you want them to fund the athletic foundation or fund the NIL collective?
    or the actual school….

Found this…sobriety will set into NIL at some point..

“By the way, just to put these amounts into sobering context, Brock Purdy who is undefeated as the starting QB for the San Francisco 49ers is on a rookie contract valued at $3.7 million over four years. Let that marinate.”
    and that is probably too high, ha.
    p.s. new trivia question: Name the firs P5 QB to win an NFL playoff game after having lost while in college to the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns.

7. Default Re: Say goodbye to mid majors

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    What is the connection between a non compete clause and a salary cap/limitation?
    Is there one?

Found this…sobriety will set into NIL at some point..

“By the way, just to put these amounts into sobering context, Brock Purdy who is undefeated as the starting QB for the San Francisco 49ers is on a rookie contract valued at $3.7 million over four years. Let that marinate.”
    At this rate we could have players retiring after their college elgibility expires! Why take a pay cut?

9. Default Re: Say goodbye to mid majors

. . . and the problem with that . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    The NCAA is powerless to cap NIL since the United Supreme Court and has spoken as such on the issue . . .
    If the NFL can cap salaries, why can't the NCAA cap NIL?

11. Default Re: Say goodbye to mid majors

NIL is like pro players making money on commercials, etc. NFL has control over what they pay, not over what others pay. It is the same with NCAA after the SUPREME Court case.

Because that will kill college athletics. Would probably require “collective bargaining” and unionization.

That’s where I’m off the bus. The attraction of college athletics for me is the cyclical 3-4 year turnover of players and watching players develop. Make it a 100% business model kills it for me.

Watching players turn into difference makers off the field is a great accomplishment, that will be lost with unionization.

NCAA can’t control NIL money. Supreme Court would shoot it down.

Because that will kill college athletics. Would probably require “collective bargaining” and unionization....
    So, we're damned if do and damned if we don't?

Not disagreeing with you here. I'm just trying to understand exactly what they did to collegiate athletics, and how we can save it.

So, we're damned if do and damned if we don't?

Not disagreeing with you here. I'm just trying to understand exactly what they did to collegiate athletics, and how we can save it.
    They took the money from under the table, threw it all out there for the world to see, with no consideration of the consequences. O’Bannon ruling was correct, but it opened the proverbial Pandora’s Box.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information