Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elsewhere: NOLA Medical School

1. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Elsewhere: NOLA Medical School

Xavier University and Ochsners partnering to open a new medical school.

When is UL getting one? Apparently not anytime in our lifetime. Yes, I understand it’s a private university and hospital system.

Default Re: NOLA Medical School

Probably about the time UL raises a 2021 SBC Championship Flag/Banner over CF...

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Xavier University and Ochsners partnering to open a new medical school.

When is UL getting one? Apparently not anytime in our lifetime. Yes, I understand it’s a private university and hospital system.
    I’ll take “when hell freezes over” for 400 Alex.

State isn’t about to give another university system a discipline that creates possible upper 1% earners/donors.

4. Default Re: NOLA Medical School

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I’ll take “when hell freezes over” for 400 Alex.

State isn’t about to give another university system a discipline that creates possible upper 1% earners/donors.
    Agreed, but doctors are becoming increasingly more valuable so clearly we need more. A medical school is a money making machine for the community it’s located in. So instead of saying it’s an expense view it as an economic magnet investment.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Agreed, but doctors are becoming increasingly more valuable so clearly we need more. A medical school is a money making machine for the community it’s located in. So instead of saying it’s an expense view it as an economic magnet investment.
    I’m for it only IF it’s a UL institution. Heck no to being a landlord for a med school.

6. Default Re: Elsewhere: NOLA Medical School

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Probably about the time UL raises a 2021 SBC Championship Flag/Banner over CF...
    This is some weird s@^*. I hear you.

Default Re: Elsewhere: NOLA Medical School

There is a part of me that the same drive that got academics to R1 is silently working for a true med school. Long shot, yes, but if that is happening, don’t quit. I’m sure in time maybe we’ll get some leverage.

9. Default Re: Elsewhere: NOLA Medical School

The people in Martin Hall seem to think it's a reality in the near future. Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The people in Martin Hall seem to think it's a reality in the near future. Who knows...
    I was told by a local doc that it's essentially a done deal. We will see, I suppose.

11. Default Re: Elsewhere: NOLA Medical School

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    I was told by a local doc that it's essentially a done deal. We will see, I suppose.
    I have similar information and it might also dovetail into why we're experiencing our current "budget crunch" with regard to athletics. The latter is me thinking out loud. But it's my understanding that we may be on the brink of a Med school. R1 was always going to be the accelerator to many initiatives, but this one was the crown jewel.

As I said in the past, I had/have no inside knowledge but superficially it seems things might be unfolding in a positive way for us.

Several months ago, my job led me to cross paths with an employee of LGMC/Ochsner and I jokingly asked when we were gonna get a medical school.

Don't know how connected this person is but their answer was a little more than vague and was a little encouraging (at least to me).

LCG bent over backwards to make the Costco development happen. We made the Target develop;ment on Louisiana Avenue happen.

This would be an incredibly opportune time to transition the Oil Center into a medical services and research complex that is host to a medical school.

Also, LSU ended its relationship with UMC several years ago. It was assumed by LCMC (and subsequently Ochsner's). I can't imagine that LSU would step back into the picture and rehash that relationship.

There is soft and hard infrastructure in place. After Katrina, pieces of LSU's medical school were temporarily located here (I'm pretty sure some of the ophthalmology clinics still have satellite offices here). And if memory serves me correct, UMC might have performed the first organ transplant in Lafayette (a kidney?) post-Katrina.

Again, I don't have connections or inside knowledge and I'm very well connecting dots that may have nothing to do with each other. I'm just a yayhoo who hopes the best for his community and his alma mater.

If you read about the Xavier/Ochsner partnership, primary reason for the school is to allow for more diversity and equity in the medical community. Also, Ochsner already has a hand in Xaviers Pharmacy and NP programs. Its almost like the reason for the Xavier Med School has nothing to do with opening a med school at UL. The plan at Xavier is more diversification in the medical field, the plan at UL seems to be to fill the need for more medical doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    As I said in the past, I had/have no inside knowledge but superficially it seems things might be unfolding in a positive way for us.

Several months ago, my job led me to cross paths with an employee of LGMC/Ochsner and I jokingly asked when we were gonna get a medical school.

Don't know how connected this person is but their answer was a little more than vague and was a little encouraging (at least to me).

LCG bent over backwards to make the Costco development happen. We made the Target develop;ment on Louisiana Avenue happen.

This would be an incredibly opportune time to transition the Oil Center into a medical services and research complex that is host to a medical school.

Also, LSU ended its relationship with UMC several years ago. It was assumed by LCMC (and subsequently Ochsner's). I can't imagine that LSU would step back into the picture and rehash that relationship.

There is soft and hard infrastructure in place. After Katrina, pieces of LSU's medical school were temporarily located here (I'm pretty sure some of the ophthalmology clinics still have satellite offices here). And if memory serves me correct, UMC might have performed the first organ transplant in Lafayette (a kidney?) post-Katrina.

Again, I don't have connections or inside knowledge and I'm very well connecting dots that may have nothing to do with each other. I'm just a yayhoo who hopes the best for his community and his alma mater.
    LSU is still involved at UMC with Internal Medicine, Family Med, General Surgery, sports med, Gyn, Ortho, and Ophthalmology residents continue to train there. Combined they see approximately 500 pts every day.
    I was working in ICU at the time when Dr. Frey moved his kidney/pancreas transplant program to UMC from Baptist NOLA after Katrina. He did them there for about 3 years, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post
    LSU is still involved at UMC with Internal Medicine, Family Med, General Surgery, sports med, Gyn, Ortho, and Ophthalmology residents continue to train there. Combined they see approximately 500 pts every day.
    I was working in ICU at the time when Dr. Frey moved his kidney/pancreas transplant program to UMC from Baptist NOLA after Katrina. He did them there for about 3 years, IIRC.
    They still have a residency program. They have to come from somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information