Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball 01-17-2023

Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball 01-17-2023

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    As much as he handles the ball, he needs to be a 75% free throw shooter.
    Fulks does need to improve his free shooting and defense. I have seen some improvement on that end compared to the Coastal Carolina game when he get continually beat on right side dribble penetration. He also tends to make more free throws at crunch time which indicates it may be a focus issue. Let's not forget he is in the top 10 in the nation in assists per game. That is a huge benefit to the team. He also is an intense competitor which probably translates to his teammates. One thing we have not mentioned enough is something Jay Walker brought up earlier this week in a radio interview. That is the chemistry on the squad. They truly are a group in which everyone has bought into team success vs individual success. All the players say the Puerto Rico trip played a part into building that chemistry. Having said all that, let's see if playing so many road games impacts their play this weekend. Chemistry will be needed to overcome sure to come adversity at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    I just don't see the jump in Fulk's defense. He was being subbed out offense for defense late against USA because he couldn't guard.
    He's been amongst the team leaders in steals in the last 5 or 6 games and has been rebounding better on the defensive side of the ball. It just feels like he's been more active and creating more havoc on the defensive end lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Fulks does need to improve his free shooting and defense. I have seen some improvement on that end compared to the Coastal Carolina game when he get continually beat on right side dribble penetration. He also tends to make more free throws at crunch time which indicates it may be a focus issue. Let's not forget he is in the top 10 in the nation in assists per game. That is a huge benefit to the team. He also is an intense competitor which probably translates to his teammates. One thing we have not mentioned enough is something Jay Walker brought up earlier this week in a radio interview. That is the chemistry on the squad. They truly are a group in which everyone has bought into team success vs individual success. All the players say the Puerto Rico trip played a part into building that chemistry. Having said all that, let's see if playing so many road games impacts their play this weekend. Chemistry will be needed to overcome sure to come adversity at some point.
    Mike, I do agree that the team seems to play for each other and the entire bench is cued in during games which is a great sign of chemistry. I'd say Marlin has done a great job getting everybody to buy in.

guess fulks showed me up...lol...I will gladly be wrong like this again. touche

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    He's been amongst the team leaders in steals in the last 5 or 6 games and has been rebounding better on the defensive side of the ball. It just feels like he's been more active and creating more havoc on the defensive end lately.
    That was a discussion on ESPN+, what makes Fulks so good he keeps his feet on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by mphscajun View Post
    guess fulks showed me up...lol...I will gladly be wrong like this again. touche
    Don't get me wrong, like they said he needs to continuously improve on the defensive side of the ball. He does allow himself to get beat too often, especially as the game goes on and he gets tired since we tend to play he and Brown way too much.

But, its also not just Fulks. The entire team as a whole does not defend well in the half court and Brown is probably the worst of the bunch. They all have to continue getting better there and it would be nice to see Marlin get Brown out a little more to keep him fresher but I don't think that's going to happen. He had the chance last night but still played him til the final minute.

Don't get me wrong, like they said he needs to continuously improve on the defensive side of the ball. He does allow himself to get beat too often, especially as the game goes on and he gets tired since we tend to play he and Brown way too much.

But, its also not just Fulks. The entire team as a whole does not defend well in the half court and Brown is probably the worst of the bunch. They all have to continue getting better there and it would be nice to see Marlin get Brown out a little more to keep him fresher but I don't think that's going to happen. He had the chance last night but still played him til the final minute.
    I agree. The guys tend to get flat feet over time which is expected. Well except for joe who is a defensive wiz. Wonder why we never drop into zone? That would help with the dribble penetration but leave the 3 open. Bring back the freak defense! haha

Quote Originally Posted by mphscajun View Post
    I agree. The guys tend to get flat feet over time which is expected. Well except for joe who is a defensive wiz. Wonder why we never drop into zone? That would help with the dribble penetration but leave the 3 open. Bring back the freak defense! haha
    I just think we should spell the guys like JB and Fulks in little spurts more often. I think Dalcourt is very effective and efficient but doesn't get enough run.

I just think we should spell the guys like JB and Fulks in little spurts more often. I think Dalcourt is very effective and efficient but doesn't get enough run.
    Dalcourt seems to be one of the guys seeing less time with Kobe’s return. Kobe came in during the first half when ASU was getting clean looks on 3s. Nobody was getting hands in faces, Kobe did, others followed. Momentum for stAte clipped.

Marlin put JB back in late to get to 30 points.

Both JB and TF, to a lesser degree, with their double doubles are in the hunt for SBC POW after Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Dalcourt seems to be one of the guys seeing less time with Kobe’s return. Kobe came in during the first half when ASU was getting clean looks on 3s. Nobody was getting hands in faces, Kobe did, others followed. Momentum for stAte clipped.

Marlin put JB back in late to get to 30 points.

Both JB and TF, to a lesser degree, with their double doubles are in the hunt for SBC POW after Saturday.
    I agree with both of your posts.

I really thought Isaiah had more court time but the stats show 3+ minutes. I hope he can improve enough to get 5-10 minutes a game. I think we see a little of Mike Thomas Saturday. I also think JB was being rotated at the end of the game because he had 4 fouls, not to get 30 points. He was in for offense and out for defense. The 30 points was a well earned achievement.

GEAUX CAJUNS!

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    I agree with both of your posts.

I really thought Isaiah had more court time but the stats show 3+ minutes. I hope he can improve enough to get 5-10 minutes a game. I think we see a little of Mike Thomas Saturday. I also think JB was being rotated at the end of the game because he had 4 fouls, not to get 30 points. He was in for offense and out for defense. The 30 points was a well earned achievement.

GEAUX CAJUNS!
    I'm fairly certain he was in there for the points. I thought they should have left him out around the 5 minute mark when we had a 14 point lead and adjust depending on how the game is closing out but Marlin continued to bring him in. He's playing so many minutes it just worries me he will be worn down by end of season.

Marlin flipping JB in and out down the stretch aligned with/without possession, with 4 fouls, is a common practice. Like some coaches have a lead with a small ball handling guard with a great FT percentage; the coach puts him in on offense, out on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Marlin flipping JB in and out down the stretch aligned with/without possession, with 4 fouls, is a common practice. Like some coaches have a lead with a small ball handling guard with a great FT percentage; the coach puts him in on offense, out on defense.
    Understand but we were up so much I thought why not hold him out and get some rest unless the game tightens up.

14. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball 01-17-2023

Understand but we were up so much I thought why not hold him out and get some rest unless the game tightens up.
    Well that's why he calls timeout during a run ... so the players can get a rest, and the game can tighten up.

15. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball 01-17-2023

. . . another timeout Tommy . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information