Thread: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball 01-10-2023

UL Basketball Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball 01-10-2023

2. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball 01-10-2023

Geaux Cajuns

Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball 01-10-2023

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Feedback is always welcome. That goes for our performance as well as anything we may have said. Feel free to let us know an angle we may have missed when discussing the team.

Nice job guys.

5. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball 01-10-2023

Bravo, great show.

USA played their best games against some really good teams. They and Troy are going to be mighty hard games.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Bravo, great show.

USA played their best games against some really good teams. They and Troy are going to be mighty hard games.
    Thanks, Express! Yeah, South Alabama is a team that gives me pause. They are always recruiting guys that went to bigger schools. The question is can Riley get them to work together?

7. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball 01-10-2023

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Thanks, Express! Yeah, South Alabama is a team that gives me pause. They are always recruiting guys that went to bigger schools. The question is can Riley get them to work together?
    I am concerned about USA for one reason, Kevin Samuel. He is a Grad transfer from FGCU averaging 11 points per game and 10 rebounds per game. The reason they scare me is that the way to beat UL is to double and sometimes triple JB and force UL to hit outside shots, when they do we are unbeatable in the conference but when we miss anyone in the conference can beat us.

USA will not have to double JB, Samuel can match up with him on the low post, meaning that our Garnett's, Williams', Dalcourt's, Julien's and others are not going to have open 3's to shoot. This is one of the first teams we will face that is not going to be concerned with JB and who doubles him. I think they will rarely double him and cover our outside players man to man.

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I am concerned about USA for one reason, Kevin Samuel. He is a Grad transfer from FGCU averaging 11 points per game and 10 rebounds per game. The reason they scare me is that the way to beat UL is to double and sometimes triple JB and force UL to hit outside shots, when they do we are unbeatable in the conference but when we miss anyone in the conference can beat us.

USA will not have to double JB, Samuel can match up with him on the low post, meaning that our Garnett's, Williams', Dalcourt's, Julien's and others are not going to have open 3's to shoot. This is one of the first teams we will face that is not going to be concerned with JB and who doubles him. I think they will rarely double him and cover our outside players man to man.

Just my .02
    Hey Dave,

#southalsucks

9. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball 01-10-2023

. . . that is a pretty definitive analysis . . .

10. Default Re: Podcast: We're Talkin Ragin' Cajuns Basketball 01-10-2023

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Hey Dave,

#southalsucks
    Totally agree with you #southalsucks. I am just saying I have watched Samuel play quite a bit this year and he can match up defensively against JB. I hope JB schools him, but I think USA will try to matchup man to man vs JB because Samuel is 7'0 260 and is a walking double double machine. The good news he does not have a ton of help and I think we are deeper and better as a team, but Samuel is strong enough and athletic enough to matchup with JB, meaning we are going to have to get scoring from somewhere else on the court, but since they will not be double teaming him often, our guys are going to have to create their own shots and we have not been great at that, with the exception of Lewis and Fulks.

This is however a game that Lewis can really shine. I don't think they will have a guy who can matchup well vs him and it should leave him open for a number of easy baskets.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Totally agree with you #southalsucks. I am just saying I have watched Samuel play quite a bit this year and he can match up defensively against JB. I hope JB schools him, but I think USA will try to matchup man to man vs JB because Samuel is 7'0 260 and is a walking double double machine. The good news he does not have a ton of help and I think we are deeper and better as a team, but Samuel is strong enough and athletic enough to matchup with JB, meaning we are going to have to get scoring from somewhere else on the court, but since they will not be double teaming him often, our guys are going to have to create their own shots and we have not been great at that, with the exception of Lewis and Fulks.

This is however a game that Lewis can really shine. I don't think they will have a guy who can matchup well vs him and it should leave him open for a number of easy baskets.
    South Alabama is also inconsistent on the defensive end. Some games they do well there while in others they seem to struggle stopping people. I guess you could say the same thing about the Cajuns however. In our case, it seems to be a home and away thing. It will be interesting to see how we do defensively this weekend. Tonight, we will have to play it for over 20 seconds on most possessions before the Warhawks take a shot. For a team that likes to control pace, they don't turn it over much. Therefore limiting them to one shot and keeping our turnovers down will be keys to victory. I know the discussion was somewhat on South Alabama. However, we don't play them until Saturday. Focus needs to be on ULM. I know you guys will say that is a comment for players and coaches. There is something to the collective mindset however.

Another good post gentlemen!

Great job on the podcast guys. Glad we got the win in Monroe, looking forward to the USA game.

Thread Information