Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Fourth of FABruary: FabULous Cajun Chicken Returns

1. UL Basketball The Fourth of FABruary: FabULous Cajun Chicken Returns

The fowlest of the fowl is back, for a one-night roost at the Cajundome.

For nearly two decades, the Fabulous Cajun Chicken delighted Ragin' Cajun athletic audiences with his unique brand of comedy, his never-ending list of characters and the level of zaniness he brought to his sideline and on-court antics.

On Saturday, Feb. 4, when UL's basketball squad takes on Marshall at 7 p.m. in a key Sun Belt Conference game, the Chicken will make a one-night return to the court. It's a good bet that mayhem will result.

That night is also Senior Night, when UL coach Bob Marlin and the Cajun program honors the senior members of the 2022-23 basketball squad. For the Fabulous Cajun Chicken, that's almost fitting.

"When I heard it was senior night," said the Chicken (a.k.a. Russell Heim in real-life), "I said, great, I'm a senior citizen now, so I thought it was nice to be honored like that."

Heim won't be one of the Cajun seniors honored in pregame activities, but he'll definitely be part of the show as he brings some of his classic skits back to life after an absence of nearly 20 years. The Fabulous Cajun Chicken made his debut back in Blackham Coliseum in 1984, and followed the Cajun basketball team to the Cajundome two years later.

During that two-decade run, the Chicken became a staple with his unique time-out sketches, satires and sendups, along with antics both on the end lines and in the stands during games. Whether it be impersonating entertainers and other celebrities, eavesdropping on opposing teams' huddles during time outs, or bedeviling an "unsuspecting" game official, the Chicken never failed to draw a laugh while also getting home crowds solidly behind the UL squad.

Heim made regular appearances at many UL athletic events, but it was basketball and its unique opportunities to be up-close and at courtside that provided his fowl alter-ego with opportunities for interaction with fans of all ages.

"The best part of what I did was seeing the kids' faces," Heim said. "I don't know how many people I've talked to over the years that told me how much their children loved watching the Chicken, and how much it added to the game for both the parents and the children. Now, those kids will have the chance to bring their own children to the game, and hopefully there will be some grandparents that remember the fun and will come out with their families."

The Chicken, of course, does not age. Heim, however, now qualifies for Medicare and has had both knees surgically repaired. Which begs the question: Can Chicken Michael Jackson still moonwalk? Can the Chicken still move the pelvis like Elvis? Can the Grim Reaper still carry the scythe that spelled impending doom for the visiting team?

"I guess people will have to come and find out," the Chicken said.

In addition to the festivities of Senior Night, UL will also have special ticket deals in place for the Feb. 4 game.

2. Default Re: Fabruary 4th: FabULous Cajun Chicken Returns

They finally started to listen?

Default Re: FABruary 4th: FabULous Cajun Chicken Returns

Aw man, he was soooo good.

I would not complain at all if we just decided to have the Chicken going forward. There has to be a few characters out there that could do a good job with it if Mr. Heim can't.

He was sitting behind me at a recent basketball game. Not sure if a couple of you guys were sitting with him, but Maggard was sitting right behind me as well and I overheard someone introduce him to Maggard.

5. Default Re: FABruary 4th: FabULous Cajun Chicken Returns

This is great.

Since he has has bad knees for a few years, I'm just expecting a celebrity appearance.

Anything more than that will be Lagniappe

This actually makes me want to drive in for a basketball game.

See, marketing and promotion works!

7. Default Re: FABruary 4th: FabULous Cajun Chicken Returns

Great performers will always be great performers.

This is going to be great.

Wonder why senior night is not the last game of the season. Probably because it is the last Saturday night game of the year. The last home game is on Friday February 24. Note that conflicts with baseball vs BYU. The Wednesday game on Friday February 22 also conflicts with baseball. Reason for basketball on Wednesday and Friday the last week is twofold. One conference tournament starts the following week. Two, ESPN will televise a SBC game on that Friday. It could be the Cajuns if the game is meaningful. Regardless of that, having the Cajun chicken return on Feb. 4 should make for a great atmosphere. Marshall as an opponent should be fun. Here is a little history lesson for some of you. Marshall was our opponent when we made our first NCAA appearance in Division 1. Year was 1972. The Bo Lamar led USL team defeated the Mike D'Antoni led Marshall team in that game.

Imagine if we reel off the next 7 games. 19-4 going into a Saturday night game against Marshall with the return of the fabulous Cajun chicken? Fun to think about.

This is USLing it in a good way, n’est ce pas??

Last edited by 60swerethebest; January 11th, 2023 at 08:51 am. Reason: Oops

This might be a good game for us old fogies to bring our grand children and introduced them to the fabulous cajun chicken for some fun entertainment!

12. Default Re: FABruary 4th: FabULous Cajun Chicken Returns

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Imagine if we reel off the next 7 games. 19-4 going into a Saturday night game against Marshall with the return of the fabulous Cajun chicken? Fun to think about.
    If this happens, I'll be there.

Maybe UL is smart enough to have an understudy in attendance.

Look at that crowd in the background

15. Default ESPN 1420 The Fabulous Cajun Chicken is Set to Make a One Night Return

An old Ragin' Cajuns' mascot is set to make a nostalgic one-night appearance at the Cajuns Dome on February 4th.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information