Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread: #RenovateBlackham

1. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Probably getting Blackham to code and fix, the structural issues would cost just as much as leveling it and building from scratch. I do agree a 4k-person arena built with basketball in mind would be fantastic.
    Crazy as it sounds, Blackham built in 1949, is in better shape than Cajun Field, built in 1971

2. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Crazy as it sounds, Blackham built in 1949, is in better shape than Cajun Field, built in 1971
    but in worse shape than the CD that was built in 1985.

Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Freedom Hall in Louisville is like Blackham in that it was home to University of Louisville Basketball as well as many regional and national horse shows. While Freedom Hall is still multi-use, U of L now plays in the KFC-Yum Center.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Hall

4. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    but in worse shape than the CD that was built in 1985.
    Yes, 100% true, but only after millions in renovation$ were poured into the CajunDome.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    You may be correct but many of the people who have fond memories of Blackham are dead. I don't think there will be any money spent on a empty dump like Blackham when they have the Cajun Dome within a mile that sits empty most of the time. Kind of hard to justify that. On the other hand , if you want to write a checkbe my guest.
    Early in the thread, MAT said he spoke to engineers that estimated it would take $10-12 million to renovate Blackham, which (he said) was also the cost of the Cajundome renovation.

If memory serves me correct, the Cajundome renovation was actually over $20 million.

And that was really just internal re-arranging; nothing structural.

But renovating Blackham would seem to involve a much greater effort. I would imagine a building built in 1950 would pretty much require a complete gutting of the facility, and would cost considerably more than $10 million.

I'm pretty sure you're an engineer. Care to make a guess on what the cost might be?

I would love this for so many reasons. That place holds so many memories for me. I'm 49 and Can remember attending games as far back as the Andrew Toney days. Dropping the floor and extending seating to the court would be insane!!! Would love to see this happen!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    That Evansville game is the most memorable (which is a key word in this) HOME game in the last decade, IMO.

Look at what a few bucks did in EK Long. That facility is awesome. Kept a lot of the historical touches, feels like it has decades of memories, but very chic, loud and energetic. We could do that in Blackham. Get the students back overnight. Fill that place with energy. Tell the stories of the 70s and 80s, in the building that it happened!

It just makes too much sense. From an admin standpoint, much cheaper overhead, total control of schedule, total control of advertisement dollars, the ad campaign writes itself, and I'm sure there are other benefits.
    The home game against Mcneese in blackham where they had to wear our practice uniforms was pretty memorable as well

I agree that it won't happen but should. Only disagreement I have with what has ben said here is capacity. I would make it 6000 but no more. Way I came up with that figure is we were approaching crowds of that nature when the 2018 team was doing well. I am sure if someone went to Dr. Maggard and Dr. Savoie with a donation of 20 million for this purpose it would happen.

At this point, I would say if they don't want to renovate Blackham; DO SOMETHING in that location. It's prime real estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I agree that it won't happen but should. Only disagreement I have with what has ben said here is capacity. I would make it 6000 but no more. Way I came up with that figure is we were approaching crowds of that nature when the 2018 team was doing well. I am sure if someone went to Dr. Maggard and Dr. Savoie with a donation of 20 million for this purpose it would happen.

The Admin should, at least, go public with an announcement of intentions to renovate/rebuild Blackham. No time frame would need to be given at this point. This would just be UL throwing down a marker, a Vision Quest, if you will.

Things that nobody thought would happen have a weird way of happening here. Omaha, National Rankings in football. R1 status, etc. etc

Imagine this…

In 10 years, we are playing the majority of our home games in Blackham. Brad Boyd is the coach, the team is consistently in the top 25, and Blackham is rockin on a weekly basis. The Cajundome is still reserved for the biggest 1-2 games a year, and because now a special occasion, we put 8-10K in there.

Every single person on this board would take that future. Every single one.

12. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    . Because, to make Blackham THE toughest venue in the country, would require dropping the floor and extending seating all the way down to it
    The Pit next to the below sea level Swamp

All inside of Cajun Basin.

I could go for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    He's consistently on the wrong side of history. These people don't understand that fans pay for an experience. Shared energy and nostalgia is WHY you put up with crowds and inconveniences. Like you said, the CD has never "rocked" like Blackham, which is one of the biggest reasons why the place is empty.

It all goes back to the simple point: Some people want the Cajuns to WIN and be wildly successful in front of a passionate fanbase. And some people, want to kick back in a sparsely attended, nice arena, where they can yuck it up with their 3 friends, sit next to the coach and feel important. Way too many in the latter group.

I'll happily squish into a smaller venue to be a consistent winner with a real home court advantage.
    You just wanna walk across the street for a game. Not that you go anyway

14. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    He can always park at Fatima . . .

15. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Remember those little rental scooters that were here a few years ago? (Before Carrol Ross got them banned) We used to take those to the Dome. It was awesome.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread Information