Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread: #RenovateBlackham

1. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    See, I wouldn’t want that. I would want the acoustics to be awful so it’s noisier than ever!
    Kansas and Foreigner were incredible in Blackham.

Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    You know…our administration should be able to chew bubblegum and walk at the same time. Let’s get Blackham in motion! Why wait!
    Sure. Let’s move all the funds from the Cajun Field renovation and dump it into a dump renovation. Or maybe pull money from the Robe locker room build.

Not.

Went to rodeo on Sunday. When they announced they were taking a break and everyone broke for restrooms / concessions, I felt like an ant in a tunnel.

Kind of made me think of the old days when that place was routinely packed for bball games: the venue & inconveniences don't matter if the product on the floor is top notch.

4. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Went to rodeo on Sunday. When they announced they were taking a break and everyone broke for restrooms / concessions, I felt like an ant in a tunnel.

Kind of made me think of the old days when that place was routinely packed for bball games: the venue & inconveniences don't matter if the product on the floor is top notch.
    THIS RIGHT HERE

And conversely, doesn't matter how "premium" the amenities are if the product blows and the place is empty. Again, Cameron Indoor (Duke) is not a particularly nice facility.

5. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Sure. Let’s move all the funds from the Cajun Field renovation and dump it into a dump renovation. Or maybe pull money from the Robe locker room build.

Not.
    There's always going to be an excuse. I agree that the football project should be priority 1. But we have to solve this basketball problem soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post

Rodeo fans aren’t like the casual UL fan. Merch, restroom, & beer booth all in that small area. If a casual UL fan had to navigate that, we wouldn’t see them at another UL event for 20 years.

Stop the madness of thinking this is a good idea. People want Blackham for nostalgia. It’s not a basketball arena and won’t be in the future.

7. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    Rodeo fans aren’t like the casual UL fan. Merch, restroom, & beer booth all in that small area. If a casual UL fan had to navigate that, we wouldn’t see them at another UL event for 20 years.

Stop the madness of thinking this is a good idea. People want Blackham for nostalgia. It’s not a basketball arena and won’t be in the future.
    Except, it is a basketball arena and was one for decades. Nostalgia = people. Emotional connection = attendance. Small venue = atmosphere. Atmosphere = return customers.

It's not "madness" just because you can't understand these things.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Ideally, of course a new arena would be awesome. But I have to say, there's something about sitting in that building and feeling the history (the only real history this program has outside of a brief period in the diamond sports) and the ghosts of Cajun basketball greats. So many great programs still play in field houses. It just feels important.

The Cajun Dome feels like a morgue. Cacophonous. Empty. Sterile.

I think it would be an overnight success.
    Agreed, the dome sucks all the energy out of a UL basketball game.

I went to the Evansville game a few years ago and the energy was amazing. I can only imagine back when the seats went all the way down to the court with the students on top of the opposing team, the home court advantage must have been crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Except, it is a basketball arena and was one for decades. Nostalgia = people. Emotional connection = attendance. Small venue = atmosphere. Atmosphere = return customers.

It's not "madness" just because you can't understand these things.
    You may be correct but many of the people who have fond memories of Blackham are dead. I don't think there will be any money spent on a empty dump like Blackham when they have the Cajun Dome within a mile that sits empty most of the time. Kind of hard to justify that. On the other hand , if you want to write a checkbe my guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post

I went to the Evansville game a few years ago and the energy was amazing. I can only imagine back when the seats went all the way down to the court with the students on top of the opposing team, the home court advantage must have been crazy!
    And beers weren’t $13

Blackham beers > dome foam

11. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

but, but, but we had product on the field in CF for three straight years and . . .

12. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by Esqueleto View Post

That Evansville game is the most memorable (which is a key word in this) HOME game in the last decade, IMO.

Look at what a few bucks did in EK Long. That facility is awesome. Kept a lot of the historical touches, feels like it has decades of memories, but very chic, loud and energetic. We could do that in Blackham. Get the students back overnight. Fill that place with energy. Tell the stories of the 70s and 80s, in the building that it happened!

It just makes too much sense. From an admin standpoint, much cheaper overhead, total control of schedule, total control of advertisement dollars, the ad campaign writes itself, and I'm sure there are other benefits.

13. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    but, but, but we had product on the field in CF for three straight years and . . .
    Basketball and Football totally different things. Totally different fanbase.

14. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    You may be correct but many of the people who have fond memories of Blackham are dead. I don't think there will be any money spent on a empty dump like Blackham when they have the Cajun Dome within a mile that sits empty most of the time. Kind of hard to justify that. On the other hand , if you want to write a checkbe my guest.
    True, but for 30 years, the basketball fanbase WAS the fanbase. I'd bet those people would return much faster in MBB than any other sport. Just a guest though.

As far as funding, I'm well aware that the admin won't shift focus to basketball until they absolutely have to.

15. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

They could hire BBoyd and poof, the basketball financial issues would disappear . . . sky is the limit . . .

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread Information