Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst . 10 17 18 19 20

Thread: #RenovateBlackham

Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Haven't read this whole thread but as someone who went to many basketball games in the late 70's/early 80's I will chime in:
    1) Blackham was and still is a dump. It is not even a true basketball arena.
    2) Part of the mystique of the building was because we were a legit top 50 team almost every year. The teams were good.
    3) There were always several must see games. USL and most of the state teams had NBA players on them. Malone and Dumars games were epic. Good teams traveled back then. The talent is no longer spread out like that.
    4) The CajunDome had to be built. College basketball was exploding in popularity after Magic/Bird. Everyone was building giant arenas. We were not going to compete nationally with our dump and the city needed something bigger to attract concerts. Remember back then there was even talk of us hosting a regional since most 1&2nd round games were on college campuses.
    5) The CajunDome is poorly laid out. Again, it is not a true basketball arena. The ceiling is too high, the suites are too far away and the stands are too far from the court. I remember my Dad getting his 200 level seats in 1986 and how disappointed I was. Its definitely a sterile layout.
    6) The renovation is a big improvement, but the team is not as good and the sport is not as popular. I see a way for the team to be good again, but college basketball in the south is going to have a limited appeal.

Going forward I think we would be foolish to renovate Blackham. The CajunDome is not why the team is mired in mediocrity and apathy. We need a dynamic young coach that can galvanize the team and the lafayette area.
    Our money needs to be spent on attracting better players. Instead of a 20MM renovation how about setting up payments for players? You can probably buy a good roster for 500-750k per year.
    Facility improvements need to be look at hard going forward. I think Cajun Field needs a refresh, but after that I would put all my resources into paying players and making the athlete areas(weight room/lockers/meeting space) top notch.

I absolutely hate where college sports is going, but it is now about paying players to be relevant. The football season this year taught us that.

Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Haven't read this whole thread but as someone who went to many basketball games in the late 70's/early 80's I will chime in:
    1) Blackham was and still is a dump. It is not even a true basketball arena.
    2) Part of the mystique of the building was because we were a legit top 50 team almost every year. The teams were good.
    3) There were always several must see games. USL and most of the state teams had NBA players on them. Malone and Dumars games were epic. Good teams traveled back then. The talent is no longer spread out like that.
    4) The CajunDome had to be built. College basketball was exploding in popularity after Magic/Bird. Everyone was building giant arenas. We were not going to compete nationally with our dump and the city needed something bigger to attract concerts. Remember back then there was even talk of us hosting a regional since most 1&2nd round games were on college campuses.
    5) The CajunDome is poorly laid out. Again, it is not a true basketball arena. The ceiling is too high, the suites are too far away and the stands are too far from the court. I remember my Dad getting his 200 level seats in 1986 and how disappointed I was. Its definitely a sterile layout.
    6) The renovation is a big improvement, but the team is not as good and the sport is not as popular. I see a way for the team to be good again, but college basketball in the south is going to have a limited appeal.

Going forward I think we would be foolish to renovate Blackham. The CajunDome is not why the team is mired in mediocrity and apathy. We need a dynamic young coach that can galvanize the team and the lafayette area.
    Our money needs to be spent on attracting better players. Instead of a 20MM renovation how about setting up payments for players? You can probably buy a good roster for 500-750k per year.
    Facility improvements need to be look at hard going forward. I think Cajun Field needs a refresh, but after that I would put all my resources into paying players and making the athlete areas(weight room/lockers/meeting space) top notch.

I absolutely hate where college sports is going, but it is now about paying players to be relevant. The football season this year taught us that.
    Good points except low on 500-750k to buy a good basketball roster.

Not sure of numbers but Kentucky has to get in the market or their fabled history will become just that. I’d bet numbers will leak out.

3. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: #RenovateBlackham

I believe you have to form a non profit corporation whose purpose is to create NIL opportunities meaning non university money for the players.

4. Default Re: #RenovateBlackham

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I believe you have to form a non profit corporation whose purpose is to create NIL opportunities meaning non university money for the players.
    Do you mean what is known as a collective . . .

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst . 10 17 18 19 20

Thread Information